Justice Antonin Scalia: US ought to be having more orgies

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:40 am
Quote:
Orgies are the way to ease social tensions, claims US judge
Oliver Burkeman in New York
Friday October 1, 2004
The Guardian

He is the conservative bastion of the US supreme court, a favourite of President Bush, and a hunting partner of the vice-president. He has argued vociferously against abortion rights, and in favour of anti-sodomy laws.
But it turns out that there is another side to Justice Antonin Scalia: he thinks Americans ought to be having more orgies.

Challenged about his views on sexual morality, Justice Scalia surprised his audience at Harvard University, telling them: "I even take the position that sexual orgies eliminate social tensions and ought to be encouraged."

It seems unlikely that this is what President Bush meant when he promised to appoint more judges like Scalia to the court, should the opportunity arise. Crucially, Justice Scalia is one of the judges in favour of overturning Roe v Wade, the landmark judgment protecting abortion as a constitutional right.

One audience member also asked the judge "whether you have any gay friends, and, if not, whether you'd like to be my friend," the Harvard Crimson newspaper reported.

"I probably do have some gay friends, but I have never pressed the point," Justice Scalia responded. He offered no clue to the logic behind his claim that orgies eliminate social tensions.

Nobody asked him whether he was familiar with Rick Moody's novel The Ice Storm, turned into a movie by Ang Lee, which appeared to suggest the exact opposite.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 854 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:53 am
Has he had a cerebral attack of some kind?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 11:57 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh wow. I love it. (I mean, not orgies. Ahem. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But Scalia? Wow.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 01:46 pm
Oh boy. Just when you think the wingnuts can't get any weirder.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 01:57 pm
Weird? Well, I agree with soz :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:28 pm
JUSTICE SCALIA
if you read the report from ABC-NEWS, justice scalia's remarks come across at least slightly different. the guardian report made it sound as if he had made the statement in a somewhat 'formal' way, but it seems to have been a tongue-in-cheeck remark(nevertheless good to know that even a supremo can have a lighthearted moment - but he is not ready yet to check on the sexual orientation of his friends; will that come later ? heh, heh ). hbg ABC NEWS REPORT
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:52 pm
I'm looking at the Supreme's in a whole new way.

Gives a whole new meaning to "a little more to the right."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:58 pm
starting to wonder what's going on under scalia's robe...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:02 pm
reg : just try to lift the robe and tell us what surprises await us ! can't wait ! hbg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 05:04 pm
no way! (me afraid)

http://web.novalis.org/images/mods/scalia-gollum.jpg
0 Replies