Kerry wiped the floor with Bush

Larry434

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:07 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
That reversion to type was not Kerry's finest moment in the debate.

Ok, good point. That's one side of a debate, on an issue that can and should be discussed. The problem seems to be that the Bush campaign has no intention of engaging in that debate and instead is resorting to ridicule. If one of the purposes of a presidential campaign, is the public airing of the issues of the day, by the major figures involved in the decision making, we are not getting it at the moment.

I don't disagree. Here is my summary of the campaign.

KERRY: Bush lied and took us into the wrong war at the wrong time and has managed it poorly.

BUSH: Did not. Have not.

BUSH: Kerry is a flipflopper who would send inconsistent messages to our allies and enemies.

KERRRY: Am not. No I wouldn't. :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:28 am
IronLionZion wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Hold that thought dearly, kicky ... its sure to be of comfort to you in November, as The Democrats once again try to figure out how it all could have gone so horribly wrong.

It's never been a mystery to me. The average American is an unspeakable ignoramus. That is the biggest problem facing liberalism.

First of all, I'm not a liberal. I don't even think that word has any meaning, to tell you the truth. It's become just a convenient label that gets put on anyone who doesn't follow lock-step behind the idiocy of Bush.

I just enjoyed seeing the incompetent--er, I mean incumbent president getting shown to be the mouth-breather that he is. And yes, I will hold that image dearly, because I am not under any illusions that Kerry will win.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:34 am
The contest is between a Professional Politician (which is not intended as a complimentary description) and a Dolt/Patsy.

I find the prospect of a Dolt in the Driver's seat more alarming. He buys almost anything offered by the Military/Industrial Complex, no questions asked.
When he is deceived, he adheres to the deception rather than correct the Bad Navigation... and sells his bad judgement to his electorate as an example of his steadfastly "staying the course".

America does not need leadership that is steadfast in its errors. We need leadership capable of recognizing the errors... which then CORRECTS those errors.

The voters have Nov. 2 as an opportunity to over-ride the captain and correct our course... (assuming that the process has not already been co-opted).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:35 am
Larry, rather succinct and soooo true.

Kicky- I think what galls me and you so much is that we are made to feel dishonourable by the Bush supporters because we may criticize the executive branch's performance in the last 4 years. Chaney went ahead and said it:"A vote for Kerry is a vote for terrorism".
I think we have a certain pride in the mental acuity of the great people in this country. Unfortunately it is being sorely tested..IMO
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:49 am
kickycan wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Hold that thought dearly, kicky ... its sure to be of comfort to you in November, as The Democrats once again try to figure out how it all could have gone so horribly wrong.

It's never been a mystery to me. The average American is an unspeakable ignoramus. That is the biggest problem facing liberalism.

First of all, I'm not a liberal. I don't even think that word has any meaning, to tell you the truth. It's become just a convenient label that gets put on anyone who doesn't follow lock-step behind the idiocy of Bush.

I just enjoyed seeing the incompetent--er, I mean incumbent president getting shown to be the mouth-breather that he is. And yes, I will hold that image dearly, because I am not under any illusions that Kerry will win.

Kerry IS GOING TO WIN!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
revel wrote:

I am not going to try and write under your points as I find it aggrivating.

I find it easier and so shall continue to do so for ease, not to aggravate you.

So I will just number them.

1. The point about it not making any difference in North Korea and how we go about it was that foxfrye made out like Clinton's way didn't work. I merely pointed out that Bush's way didn't either. That guy from North Korea said once that the only North Korea would stop developing Nukes (easier to spell) was for the leader of North Korea to die.

First of all, Bush's way has only really begun, and while it may be true that no progress has been made, it would be foolish to leak developments while negotiations are ongoing. A result has not been claimed or announced.

Secondly, Clinton's way did involve an announced result. Negotiations weren't in progress when he left office, they had been concluded and a proported solution arrived at. That solution failed.

Clinton's way did not work. Bush's way has not reached an end point yet.

My point on this issue is that it is inconsistent for people to expect Bush's way to have born fruit in such a relatively short period of time when they were all in favor of giving the UN approach to Iraq more than 11 years to work.

2. About Israel being evil, I imagine that is in the eye of the beholder.

Not really. Human society has developed a fairly tight consensus on what falls under the heading of Evil.

Simply because someone might see you or I as evil, doesn't make it so, and if that person's characterization of us is not born out by facts, it will generate no support within broader society. Thus, netiher in the abstract nor concrete will our evil be identified by the eye of that particular beholder.

Of course when we speak of Saddam's Iraq, Iran, NK or Israel being Evil, we really mean their governments. In the case of the first three, we have governments that rule through tyranny, oppress and abuse their citizens, which seek WMD for aggressive purposes (which would include nuclear blackmail) and to preserve their power, and which seek to cause or support mayhem and destruction in other parts of the world.

Israel, by comparison, is a democracy. It has developed nukes for purely defensive purposes, even going so far as never actually announcing that it has them. Say what you want about Israel, but they have not left footprints in and around terrorist attacks throughout the world, and there is virtually no chance that they might sell weapons of any sort to terrorists.

Israel's government is far from perfect, but then none are. In the defense of it's people and its nation against a complex and insidious threat, it may or may not have crossed the line on occassion. However, is there really any reason to believe that if Israel found wlecome in the region tomorrow, and without lunatics blowing up innocent Israelis, that it would not very quickly become a good neighbor indeed? Hopefully the same can now be said about Iraq, because the source of its Evil has been removed. Since Inranians and North Koreans are not inherently evil people, the same can be said of those countries if their dictatorships are ever overthrown.

I agree that Saddam Hussien was just sucking up to the Arabs/Muslims with giving the suicide bombers money.

However neither is to the point. The point is this from one of my previous links.

Au contraire. You asked why Bush and Kerry felt the need to talk about Israel in conjunction with Iraq.

Quote:
The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty mentions five "Nuclear Weapons States" (NWS), which are allowed under the treaty to possess nuclear weapons. None other among the 188 countries that signed the treaty are allowed to have Nuclear Weapons programs. The five NWS are the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, namely the United States, Russia, the People's Republic of China, France, and the United Kingdom. Other countries with nuclear weapons, none of which has signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty, are India, Pakistan and Israel

Israel did not sign the Non Proliferation Treaty so they are not supposed to be able to possess Nuclear weapons. They have broke just as many UN agreement as any other "evil" nation. Yet somehow they are exempt from any censure or name calling from the US.

Your statement is incorrect. Since they did not sign the treaty, they are not bound by its terms. Violating UN resolutions is not, in an of itself, a sign of evil intent, particularly so when Israel has repeated been an unfair target of such resolutions. If you want to know about the moral authority of the UN you need only ask yourself how Sudan, during what so many have described as a program of genocide, can have been reelected to the UN Humans Rights Commission?

3. I wonder just how is Israel our ally? What have they done for us that is so special that we have to treat them so special? So they are in the middle east, some would argue that is the whole problem. Israel has launched missles at Palestine and other parts of the world yet we are not going to war with them.

They have provide us with vast amounts of valuable intelligence, I suspect that they may have carried out covert missions on our behalf, but have no proof of same, they allowed Iraq to rain Scuds on their cities without retaliating because we asked them not to, they are a Democracy with values that align with our own. Their people didn't dance in the streets on 9/11.They have not been the perfect ally to us anymore than we have been the perfect ally to them. They have, however, been a far more valuable ally in the region than any other country with which we might use that term.

4. you guys must be worried if you feel you got to encourage every democrat not to vote. Kind of unpatriotic.

Whatever, just stick to your original inclination and don't vote.

What I was expressing was my growing tiredness of the poltical game. It is fast getting old.

It is, and so again I encourage you to get out of it and not vote.

5. I know I can't spell and I my grammar sort of blast the myth about liberal democrats being elistist. But I would like to write something and get it published before I die.

No, it argues against the claim of Liberals that they are elite. They remain elitists.

I hope you do write your novel. Good luck with it. I simply suggested that you need to start it before asking about an editor, or a cover artist for that matter.

0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:57 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
kickycan wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

Kerry IS GOING TO WIN!

If I thought it would do any good, I'd pray for that.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
Perhaps it's not only mental acuity, but long memories. Perhaps the fact that Kerry is saying now what he said 30 years ago is resonating. Perhaps people didn't buy it then and don't buy it now.

I don't mind criticism of any administration as long as it's not just thrown out there out of context and as long as it has factual evidence to back it up.

The fact is the economy is improving, jobs are being created, funding for education has been increased, people have more money due to lower taxes...the list goes on. All of this in the face of rebuilding after 9/11/01 and dealing with the Clinton recession.

The people in this country of whom Panzade speaks have the mental acuity to know it has been a daunting task, but tihs administration's policies are working.

It's no secret that I'm for a strong military, and although I hate war, I cannot condone the "grand diversion" comment of Kerry's while we have even one soldier serving. I know I will never be able to repay that soldier for what he has given in time, duty and sacrifice, but unlike the "politician", that soldier will have my full support.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:07 am
JustWonders wrote:
Perhaps it's not only mental acuity, but long memories. Perhaps the fact that Kerry is saying now what he said 30 years ago is resonating. Perhaps people didn't buy it then and don't buy it now.

I don't mind criticism of any administration as long as it's not just thrown out there out of context and as long as it has factual evidence to back it up.

The fact is the economy is improving, jobs are being created, funding for education has been increased, people have more money due to lower taxes...the list goes on. All of this in the face of rebuilding after 9/11/01 and dealing with the Clinton recession.

The people in this country of whom Panzade speaks have the mental acuity to know it has been a daunting task, but tihs administration's policies are working.

It's no secret that I'm for a strong military, and although I hate war, I cannot condone the "grand diversion" comment of Kerry's while we have even one soldier serving. I know I will never be able to repay that soldier for what he has given in time, duty and sacrifice, but unlike the "politician", that soldier will have my full support.

I was a toddler thirty years ago. I probably would have been a Bush fan.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:12 am
kickycan wrote:
On another Fox-related topic...I watched Hannity and Colmes tonight. It was so nice to see that look of desperation in Hannity's eyes as he tried in vain to put a positive spin on last night's debate. Oh man, that was some seriously good entertainment. I heard him sounding a little bit more meek and mild today on his radio show too. I relish his pain.

I have to agree with you.

Immediately following the debate, Hannity was claiming he had never seen the president more articulate! While he may not be getting an actual paycheck from the Bush campaign, he's trying his hardest for them, but then Colmes is doing his damnedest for Kerry so FOX is fair and balanced after all. Cool
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
I was a toddler thirty years ago. I probably would have been a Bush fan. << Kickycan

But you went to school at some point and learned to read, right? So you know that Kerry has always said he thinks the disbursement of our military should be at the discretion of the U.N., right?

And you agree, right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:24 am
JustWonders wrote:
I was a toddler thirty years ago. I probably would have been a Bush fan. << Kickycan

But you went to school at some point and learned to read, right? So you know that Kerry has always said he thinks the disbursement of our military should be at the discretion of the U.N., right?

And you agree, right?

You gotta be kidding, right????
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:30 am
LOL..no, Frank - I'm not kidding.

(But - you just won me a nice bet. Being the girly-girl that I am, I think I'll use my "winnings" to treat myself to an expensive manicure Smile)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:32 am
JustWonders wrote:

And you agree, right?

I Just Wonder if you learned to read...and let ME read it ...in a publication of some ....some.... repute.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:34 am
JustWonders wrote:

And you agree, right?

Yes, I can read. Here's something I read (and heard with my own ears) recently. From the debate.

Kerry: "I believe America is safest and strongest when we are leading the world and we are leading strong alliances.

I'll never give a veto to any country over our security. But I also know how to lead those alliances."

Now, where again did you read your "direct quote" from Kerry?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:37 am
Check out the following list of 10 flip flops re Iraq and/or Saddam Hussein using Kerry's own words from the debate compared to what he had said previously. If you feel these are misrepresented or exaggerated, play the video and hear Kerry say these things in his own words.....articulately....and with conviction. Smile

http://www.gop.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=4775
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:39 am
Oh ****, I knew somebody was going to play the flip-flop card sooner or later. You guys can't resist it.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:42 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Re: North Korean negotiations. One would have to be mentally retarded to want the US to engage the NK's in other than direct bilateral negotiations, especially when the alternative allows the Red Chinese to poke their noses under the tent and attempt to fashion any US/NK agreement to their own purposes and to the potential detriment of US national security.
Well, that would make me mentally retarded than wouldn't it? <shakes head> You still haven't figured out how Carter poked his nose in and created this mess, have you? Nor have you figured out how Clinton went right ahead and agreed to pay the terrorists ransom in exchange for a BS policy that totally failed. Now you are suggesting one must be mentally retarded to not wish to resume it. Get a grip. Or at least familiarize yourself with the results of the idiotic agreement you defend.

Well, you know how I hate to agree with you Bill, but yes, you can assume I do agree with you about the mental retardation.

Your post reflects not only a failing grasp of reality, but also of history and geography as well.

But let us see here, you are equating the involvement of a Nobel Peace prize winning former US president, invited by the NKs to participate in the initial negotiations between the US and the NKs in the 1990's with that of a foreign sovereign nation, viz., China that is seen as an ever increasing threat to US hegemony in the Far East. I had expected even a cheese head should be able to gauge such a quantum difference, but apparently, not you.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Unless of course, one disagrees with the words last night of our beloved C-plus Augustus that other nations should have no say so in what the US deems is appropriate for its security, or perhaps wants the US beholden to the Red Chinese for their quite willing and cheerful assistance in dealing with the NKs.
What makes you think those are the only two scenarios? Btw, do you believe in this unilateral approach to everything?

Name others and we can discuss them, but meanwhile share with us on this thread what logic system you employ to discern a "Third Way" that is neither bi-lateral nor multilateral negotiations? Would that be unilateral negotiations, Bill?

So, apparently it is okay with you to leave it to other nations to decide whether or not the US can defend itself from a nuclear attack. I doubt you supported such an approach when Bush went into Iraq (with of course, that "coalition of the insignificant."… and of course, please, like our C-plus Augustus did Thursday night, mention the brave Poles, whose president recently was quoted in the Western press thusly:

"Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski, a key backer of the U.S.-led war in Iraq, said yesterday his country was "misled" by Bush administration claims about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq"

"He added, "naturally I also feel uncomfortable due to the fact that we were misled with the information on weapons of mass destruction," according to a transcript supplied by the president's office. "We were taken for a ride."

As quoted in that far-left commie rag, the Washington Times.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20040318-112121-1128r.htm

OCCOM BILL wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Even George Bush, as stupid as he is, and he is quite stupid, is not so stupid to want to owe the Red Chinese for helping the US with NK when it is unnecessary and places into the hands of the Red Chinese an additional chit they can cash in during future trade and security negotiations with the USA.
I agree with most of this paragraph... and wonder how you could write it despite it being a direct contradiction to the previous two.

Contradiction? Only for an undiscerning mind incapable, as is Bush the Lesser, with nuance.

Graciously, I would submit again that George Bush the Lesser is stupid, but not so completely stupid as to lay down his trump card to the Chinese. At least, I hope not.......but then again, Bush the Lesser did give the Chinese $25,000,000 in ransom to get our US Air Force plane back in 2001. Remember that one? Or, have you conveniently forgotten it because it undermines the Bush machismo you wallow in?

Apparently, Bush never heard the remarks of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney vis-a-vis the XYZ Affair of 1797, "Millions for defense, sir, but not one cent for tribute."

But then again, perhaps he has, but applies it only to the NKs.

Tribute, Bill. We have prima fascia evidence that Bush the Lesser is willing to pay off an enemy (for if they were our ally, why would the Chinese have held American soldiers hostage?) instead of fighting them to get back a few American military personnel. Yet you have a problem with the US paying the NKs not to build nukes that could incinerate tens of millions of Americans.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Think again. By having the Red Chinese intercede with NK the US undermines its ability to protect Taiwan and pressure the Red Chinese on fair trade.
More voices have more leverage, Kuvasz, and since a nuclear free Korea is in everyone's best interest it only makes sense to unite against the murderous Kim. This fantasy of yours about owing China is only a possible side effect to Chinese involvement, not an automatic bi-product like you imply. I submit; it is you who needs to "think again".

You just don't get out much do you? The first rule of negotiation is to deal directly with the opposition's decision makers unsullied by indirect parties who have their own agendas. The ultimate goal of the NKs is to prevent another attack on their country by the US. Neither the Chinese nor Japanese are considered as deeply a threat to the NKs as the Americans.

Any agreement the NKs would have with them is peripheral to their ultimate goals and could hinder the freedom the US needs to deal directly with the NKs for American strategic defense. Again, even our C-plus Augustus understands this, but you don't.

As to that failed policy under Clinton: Bush was critical of the way Clinton handled North Korea and completely reneged on US agreements with the NKs, yet now, 40 months later, we are right back to where we were when Clinton left office, with Bush admitting his error (pushed undoubtedly by Colin Powell) and is now using Clinton's plan to deal with the North Koreans…

Wednesday, 3 April, 2002, 12:06 GMT 13:06 UK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia-pacific/1908571.stm

US grants N Korea nuclear funds.

"Pyongyang threatened to pull out of the nuclear deal The US Government has announced that it will release $95m to North Korea as part of an agreement to replace the Stalinist country's own nuclear programme, which the US suspected was being misused.

"Under the 1994 Agreed Framework an international consortium is building two proliferation-proof nuclear reactors and providing fuel oil for North Korea while the reactors are being built.

"In releasing the funding, President George W Bush waived the Framework's requirement that North Korea allow inspectors to ensure it has not hidden away any weapons-grade plutonium from the original reactors."

However, in the interval the NKs now, unlike in 2000, have the capacity to build between 10-20 nukes. Nevertheless, even Bush awoke to the serious nature of playing games about ideological and partisan politics with nuclear proliferation.

Of course, I am assuming that rational people can all agree that it is better for America that a half-crazed, half-starved enemy has in their hands one or two nukes instead of a dozen of them.

"The CIA's National Intelligence Estimate, released in December, reported that North Korea had likely produced one or two plutonium-based nuclear weapons by the mid-1990s."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37481-2002Oct16.html

Now it appears this has been public knowledge for over 2 years about the North Koreans probably possessing atomic weapons, yet the country and Bush have been obsessed with Iraq?

But, how about a trip down memory lane and yet more instances of how the traitorous Republicans have once again given aid, comfort, and materials to America's enemies.....just like a Cheney-led Halliburton did in Iraq in the 1980's-1990's.

The current US Sec. of Defense Rummy sat on the ABB Board of Directors, which in Jan 2000 sold nuclear technologies to N. Korea!

I wonder if Bush, knowing this, will retract his Axis of Evil statement to exclude N. Korea?

There's money for Rummy in Nukes!

The Annual General Meeting of ABB Ltd 2000

ABB Ltd held March 16, 2000, its first annual general meeting of shareholders since the creation of the single-class ABB Ltd share.
Shareholders approved the proposal of the Board of Directors to increase the dividend per share to Sfr. 3.00 from Sfr. 2.47 the year before, payable as of March 23, 2000. Re-elected to the Board were Percy Barnevik, Gerhard Cromme, Jürgen Dormann, Martin Ebner, Robert Jeker, Göran Lindahl, Agostino Rocca, Donald Rumsfeld, Edwin Somm, Peter Sutherland and Jacob Wallenberg. The Board intends to re-elect Barnevik as Chairman and Jeker as Vice Chairman.

http://www.abb.com/global/abbzh/abbzh251.nsf!OpenDatabase&db=/global/ABBZH/ABBZH259.nsf&v=A&e=us&c=A221047E49D1CA7C4125679E006320D8

ABB to deliver systems, equipment to North Korean nuclear plants
US$ 200 million in orders awarded under multi-government framework agreement

Zurich, Switzerland, January 20, 2000 -

ABB, the global technology group, said today it has signed contracts to deliver equipment and services for two nuclear power stations at Kumho, on the east coast of North Korea. The contracts, with a value of US$ 200 million, were awarded by HANJUNG (Korea Heavy Industries and Construction Co. Ltd.) and KOPEC (Korea Power Engineering Corp.).

http://www.abb.com/global/abbzh/abbzh251.nsf!OpenDatabase&db=/global
/ABBZH/abbzh250.nsf&v=c&e=us&c=316DCEEDCA12D32E4125686C00433604
from: http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/2002/04/09_Rumsfeld_North_Korea.html
from: http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/2002/04/09_Rumsfeld_North_Korea.html

Oh, and a shout out to our great friends, the Israelis, whose weapons technologies were delivered into the hands of the North Koreans, via another of our great friends, the Chinese>>>>>>

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:G31uYuOAu5sC:www.washington-report.org/backissues/1193/9311006.htm++%22israeli+arms+sales%22+North+Korea&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Yet finally, I see your point, Bill, but you are going to need a bigger cheese head hat to cover it.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
Panzade - Years ago the Harvard Crimson quoted Kerry as saying he thought the disbursement of the U.S. military should be at the discretion of the United Nations. In the recent debate he said something about having to pass a "global test" for preemptive action.

If you're really interested in reading the exact quote in the Crimson, I'll try to find it for you. Let me know. I'll be back later Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
Kerry Would Wait On French And Russians To Defend America.

SEN. JOHN KERRY: "I would have done what was necessary to know that you had exhausted the available remedies with the French and the Russians." (MSNBC's "Hardball," 10/20/03)

Foxy, this headline is word and idea twisting in its most elementary and embarrassing form and doesn't illustrate JW's opinion:.

Kerry has always said he thinks the disbursement of our military should be at the discretion of the U.N., right?
0 Replies