Patriot Act Rollback: Judge blocks U.S. from secret searches

Ragman

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:20 pm
Judge blocks U.S. from secret searches

Published in Albany Times Union - Indexed on Sep 30, 2004 Relevance:

The American Civil Liberties Union called the ruling a "landmark victory" against the Justice Department's post-Sept. 11 law enforcement powers. "Today's ruling is a wholesale refutation of excessive government secrecy and unchecked executive power," said ACLU attorney Jameel Jaffer. U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero struck down a provision of the Patriot Act that authorizes the FBI to force Internet service providers and phone companies to turn over certain customer records. The companies are then barred from ever disclosing the search took place.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 798 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Owennu3

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:15 pm
The patriot act is a scary thing. It is so especially if you are an immigrant or anything related to a muslim. I would suggest a books called "Silencing Political Dissent" by Nancy Chang.

There is a subtitle, but I am forgetting at the moment what it is. It is a book about the Patriot Act and how dangerous it can be for Americans and their civil liberties. It's very short, only about 120 pages. But it is very good.

I especially like the part where the FBI can search your house, car, or any personal items without the production of a search warrant, or a delayed search warrant, if the FBI suspects you are somehow related to terrorists.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
In 3 months since the last reply (from Owennu3), not a single response? Things that make you say hmmmm!
0 Replies