Mixing Tenses.

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:51 am
Are either of these right?

He said he likes me. Vs. He said he liked me. Assuming he still likes me, which one is right? Are they both okay?

He didn't like the way I speak. Vs. He didn't like the way I spoke. The same assumption applies here.

I've heard it's wrong (in formal writing) for me to use present after starting with past most of the time. Is this true? I haven't found a clear answer online.

Thanks for the help.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:25 pm
@perennialloner,
(1) No, Peren. "Liked" means mebbe now he likes you

(2) More complicated but gen princ still applies here
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 01:43 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Are either of these right?

He said he likes me. Vs. He said he liked me. Assuming he still likes me, which one is right? Are they both okay?

They can both be taken to mean that he presently likes me, but the second one can be taken to mean that he liked me in the past, especially without any further context. The first one is more precise.

Quote:
He didn't like the way I speak. Vs. He didn't like the way I spoke. The same assumption applies here.

In this sentence you have to keep your tenses consistent, "he didn't like the way I spoke."

Quote:
I've heard it's wrong (in formal writing) for me to use present after starting with past most of the time. Is this true? I haven't found a clear answer online.

That's generally true. In your first instance, however, the sentence is reported speech, much like a quote. Sticklers would still insist on using the past tense, but the rule isn't set in stone, so to speak.

In your second instance, if you were reporting what he had said, then you could have used speak or spoke.

"He said he didn't like the way I speak/spoke," with the past tense having ambiguity.

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 01:57 pm
@InfraBlue,
Blue gotta give you credit, wish you had a profile

Forgive if you've already supplied one, I'm very old
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 02:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thank you very very much, but I'm still a little confused as to why in the second example I have to use past tense for speak. Could it not be assumed that the way I speak has always been?
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 03:40 pm
CONTEXT sets the tense.

Did you get the job?
No.
Why?
He didn't like the way I speak.

Were you hired?
No.
Why?
He didn't like the way I spoke.

perennialloner

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:28 pm
@PUNKEY,
I'm struggling to see a difference.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:32 pm
@perennialloner,
You're right. I had to read it again. You can use the present tense when referring to the way you speak.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:38 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

I'm struggling to see a difference.

In the first sentence I didn't get hired because of the way I speak (always).

In the second sentence it could mean that I didn't get hired because of the way I speak (always), or it could mean that I didn't get hired because of the way I spoke at a past particular time.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:35 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thanks. I appreciate it. And yeah, I get that part. I just don't get what PUNKEY was trying to say with the questions. The first answer could easily be the second question's too.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:43 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
a difference...

Quote:
He didn't like the way I speak.
I still do it

Quote:
He didn't like the way I spoke.
Mebbe speak better now