In A Way...It's A Great Time To Be Alive

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't think anyone who disagrees with me is a sheep.

Hell, we liberals are ALL ABOUT disagreeing. Disagreement builds discussion and helps us make positive progress. Hopefully we can come into agreement in the future at some point.

I think there are a certain group of people who agree with each other who happen, in my opinion, to be wrong. But I would still fight and die for their right to have and voice that opinion, at any time, without being called a traitor or told they should leave the country.

THAT'S the difference. Neo-conservatives don't agree with this fundamental right.

Cycloptichorn

I agree with you. Telling Americans to 'leave the country' if they don't like the way things are going is shortsighted and stupid.

But as I stated, Dems have been on the wrong side of history too many times in the past 25 years to speak about foreign policy with any degree of honesty. This is why the majority of America thinks Repubs are better for America in foreign policy issues.

I also welcome debate; it keeps both parties somewhat honest. But I have extreme distrust for a politician who takes various positions, based on whichever group he/she is speaking to at the moment, to simply gain office.

A politician who will let popularity dictate foreign policy is extremely dangerous, in my opinion.

Cy, from what I can gather from reading your posts, you are consistent in your wish for peace. And as I stated in an above post, I have respect for those who are consistent in their anti-war beliefs.

But those people who are protesting now, simply so their guy can get elected and return the Dems to power, are disingenuous, pathetic, self-serving, and bad for America.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 12:39 pm
I agree with what you said, ALV.

Quote:
I also welcome debate; it keeps both parties somewhat honest. But I have extreme distrust for a politician who takes various positions, based on whichever group he/she is speaking to at the moment, to simply gain office.

This can be looked at from both sides. I have extreme distrust for a politician that says he is going to do one thing, and then ACTUALLY has done other things. GWB has a pretty long history of failing to uphold his campaign promises (In My Opinion, so let's not start that debate in this thread), including the large promise to not mislead the American populace (who he is a servant of, remember).

To me, voting for Bush would be agreeing and mandating a candidate who willingly mislead the American people, and who has made several poor decisions since obtaining office. He has, for one reason or another, managed to piss off our foreign allies to a high degree.

I can't vote for this guy. In diametric opposition to the Republican stance, I DO vote on issues, and honesty is a biiiig one.

I DO wish peace. That being said, I believe that sometimes war is neccessary. But we should use the STRICTEST possible standards before committing to war, and in this case, we did not. Period. Noone could possibly contest that we did.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

To me, voting for Bush would be agreeing and mandating a candidate who willingly mislead the American people........
Cycloptichorn

While some people feel that Bush "willingly misled the American people', many more feel that Bush was acting on information the intelligence services of the US had obtained.

Vote against the guy for relying on bad info, or making a poor decision to invade Iraq. But the libs continue to push the "he lied" campaign, which most Americans do not believe.

He made the call to attack Iraq after 9-11 occurred. The way libs have bashed him for "not being prepared" for 9-11 is an indication of what they would have done if chemical agents had been used in the US on his watch.

Sometimes tough decisions have to be quickly made, which is why someone who continuously vacillates in his/her thoughts and beliefs has no business in the job.

Buy as you stated, this is a discussion for a different thread.

I don't understand your statement about the Repub stance on not voting for issues. I think one of the biggest burdens Kerry carries is the left-wing issues of his party. Clinton was elected because he presented himself as a "New Democrat", who was mostly moderate in his beliefs.

But the far-left wing of the Dems is out of touch with most of America, and those issues they will bring to the White House are the issues I will be voting against.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
But the far-left wing of the Dems is out of touch with most of America, and those issues they will bring to the White House are the issues I will be voting against..... <-- ALV

No more so than the far right. The problem is that the far right has co-opted the republican party. I feel there are a lot of people who are stuck because of this.

Just to ask, what issues would those be that you would be voting against?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

A Lone Voice

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 02:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
But the far-left wing of the Dems is out of touch with most of America, and those issues they will bring to the White House are the issues I will be voting against..... <-- ALV

No more so than the far right. The problem is that the far right has co-opted the republican party. I feel there are a lot of people who are stuck because of this.

Just to ask, what issues would those be that you would be voting against?

Cycloptichorn

Glad you asked.

1. I live in California, where the most 'progressive' of liberals held both houses and every elected constitutional office in the state. They ran my state into the ground with their liberal idea of what the government should 'be'. They ruined the state's economy with their spending. They throw millions upon millions of dollars at the schools, but do not require any accountability. They pushed through anti-business legislation, which drove thousands of both large and small businesses out of state. They are a good example of what would happen to America if they gained such power at the Federal level.

1. The Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, in San Francisco, is the most liberal, Dem appointed court in the country. As such, they have been overturned more often by the US Supreme Court then any other Circuit Court in the country. Again, an example of how most Americans feel the left-wing of the Democratic Party is out of touch.

3. Second Amendment.

4. The death penalty.

5. Taxes, taxes, and more taxes.

6. Socialized health care.

7. Draconian environmental laws. (Ironic that wealthy libs supported wind power until windmills were built that "blocked the view;", now, wind power is a bad thing Laughing )

8. The lack of diverse thought by most 'progressives'. A short stay in a university classroom with a left-wing instructor is just one example.

Anyway, my fingers are getting tired now. You asked for my beliefs on issues; these are just some.

And before everyone attempts to put me in a box, I am against the Patriot Act, I am pro-choice, and I believe a person's sexual orientation is no one else's business. But observing what the left-wing of the Democratic Party has done in my state makes me shudder at the thought of a leftist federal government.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
Quote:
. The Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, in San Francisco, is the most liberal, Dem appointed court in the country. As such, they have been overturned more often by the US Supreme Court then any other Circuit Court in the country.

This is one of those RW myths that I wonder how the hell it got started. The 9th in 2003 had the LOWEST rate of being overturned of any circuit court with at least 5 cases reviewed. The 9th is the LARGEST circuit court but the number of cases overturned as a % of those reviewed is not great at all. Of the 28 justices on the 9th Circuit court, only 12 are considered liberal and put there by a Dem president, the others are conservative or appointed by a GOP President. By the way of comparison the 8th circuit court only has 11 judges.
0 Replies