CBS Does It Again

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
Well, squinney, that's what surprises me.

I'm a member of the SPD. But no-one would know, if I hadn't told her/him or if I was elected in some commitee etc.

If someone would publish the data from party records - a crime. (Recently, a secretary got one year on probation for such.)

Such as posted here would be worse.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:23 am
squinney wrote:
Again, where did this info come from (besides the link)? How was it obtained? How come we are supposed to believe this document, but not the Rather documents? The SwiftBoat documents, but not the Military records?

Get it? It's not just a liberal thing.

And, again, are these records easily obtainable by anyone for anyone? Can I request your voting registration and history from the New York voter registration office?

Wow. I never knew you had a messianic complex for Moore. Thesmokinggun.com is hardly a republican propaganda outlet, unlike CBS's role for the DNC. I have no answers for your questions, I suppose you can just choose not to believe them. Like some choose to think Kerry will be a good president and that the moon is made of cheese.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:27 am
Just say you don't know and that even so, you choose to believe them. All the other really isn't necessary.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:40 am
thesmokinggun has no history of posting fraudulent documents. They use the FOIA to gain access to documents.

From their website:

Quote:
The Smoking Gun brings you exclusive documents--cool, confidential, quirky--that can't be found elsewhere on the Web. Using material obtained from government and law enforcement sources, via Freedom of Information requests, and from court files nationwide, we guarantee everything here is 100% authentic.

The site was founded in April 1997. In December 2000, The Smoking Gun was acquired by Court TV, a basic cable network with more than 80 million subscribers.

Staff:

Editor: William Bastone

Managing Editor: Andrew Goldberg

Reporter: Joseph Jesselli

Design: Barbara Glauber & Beverly Joel / Heavy Meta

Technical assistance: Mike Essl

Researcher: Christine Lagorio

Los Angeles correspondent: Samuel Bretzfield

Development Director: Daniel Green

E-mail: [email protected]

The Smoking Gun
600 Third Avenue
16th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 692-7840 or (212) 692-7849
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:02 am
Neither does the military, right? If you are going by FOIA, then both the Kerry and Bush military records are to be believed.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:13 am
McGentrix wrote:
That's not how it works Revel. You declare your party when you register in NYS. I registered Republican in 1986, I am still a registered Republican. You don't have to keep registering every year unless you move. Moore has a permanent residence in NYC which allows him to keep an active registration in the NYS voter logs.

I haven't seen his voting record in Michigan. I do not even know if he has ever voted in Michigan.

Well that is all weird. When I go to vote I vote every time under a clearly defined ticket that says democrat.

He is now in 2004 in Michigan and they don't have parties. He claims that he now an independent. I guess what he means is that his ideological views are more in sync with independents than democrats.

If he votes for the rest of his life in Michigan and claims himself to be an independent will he for the rest of his life be an official NYS registered democrat?

Will he have to physicially go to NYS and say that he is no longer a democrat and is no longer going to vote in NYS for you to think he is not lying when he says that he is not a democrat?

I personally think if michael Moore thought of himself as a democrat he would say so and be proud of it.

All in all this a silly argument and I have forgotten how it got started except that I somehow started it. Sorry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:27 am
revel wrote:
If he votes for the rest of his life in Michigan and claims himself to be an independent will he for the rest of his life be an official NYS registered democrat?

Will he have to physicially go to NYS and say that he is no longer a democrat and is no longer going to vote in NYS for you to think he is not lying when he says that he is not a democrat?

Sorry to be annoying, but now I understand less than before.

When I become a member of a party, I join and pay my monthly/annual fee.
And when I dislike that -or they dislike my- I dlete my membership, join another party or just stay without any membership (like about 95% or more of my co-citizens).

So, if I would become a member of the an USA party, I had to stay there lifelong? Shocked
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:42 am
walter, when you register to vote you have the choice of selecting a party. The only time that it really matters is when voting in a primary election. In NYS, in order to vote in say the democratic party presedential primary election, you must be a registered democrat. That is not the same in other states, but I have never registered in any other states.

Registered independants have no say in the primary of any party, but may vote as they choose in any general election, as can anyone else.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
But Walter has a point. Is registering as a Democrat of Republican the same as being a member of that party?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:03 am
<Only members of parties can elect/propose any candidates here.>
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:20 am
Walter - Each state has its own rules. In NC, as a registered Democrat, I can vote in the Democratic primary (to choose democrat representatives) but not in the Republican primary (to choose Republican representatives.) These Primaries take place early in the year and decide who the main candidates will be for the Fall election for each party.

However, some states allow voters to vote in any primary - but I believe you can only vote in one. In other words, if I lived in a state that allowed this, as a registered Democrat I could choose to vote in the Republican primary, but would then be barred from voting in the Democratic primary. Not sure why this is allowed, as is seems ripe for mischief by the opposing party.

Also, we do not join a party and pay dues. We can register as any party and then we are free to choose to make a donation if we like, but do not have to.
0 Replies