CBS Does It Again

Brand X

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:00 am
CBS promotes false conscription scare.

Go to the linked site and read because there are alot of links provided in the story for fact backup.

Quote:
CBS Does It Again
Network Uses Phony Documents to Promote Draft Conspiracy
September 29, 2004 09:03:12 EDT

For months now, left-leaning interest groups have been trying to scare America's young people into believing that the Bush Administration is eager to bring back the draft if President Bush is reelected. For the most part, this story has been spread by word-of-mouth and through the internet--rumors in other words. Up until this month, CBS News has shown no interest in a story that has basically no basis in fact.
That changed last week after Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry was asked about the rumors. He seemed to give them little credence, but refused to outright disown them, saying only "Is it possible? I can't tell you."

Once again, it seems that the Democratic Party has proven itself more intelligent than its media arm, CBS. Just as it earlier refused to run with Bill Burkett's third-rate forgeries, the Democrats have mostly stayed away from draft speculation. But last night, CBS News once again let its ideological blinders cause it massive embarrassment.

You'd think that in the midst of the terrible publicity he is getting for working closely with a partisan Democrat--bent on bringing down President Bush--that Dan Rather would have the good sense to lay off the liberal bias for a while, especially since just three weeks ago, the 72-year-old CBSer denounced the internet as "filled with rumors."

In a story that was a textbook example of shoddy and biased reporting, CBS reporter Richard Schlesinger used:

Debunked internet hoax emails
Michael Moore-esque editing
An unlabeled interest group member

to scare elderly "Evening" viewers into believing that the U.S. government is poised to resume the draft.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,418 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
Besides, when clicking on your link getting and getting

Quote:
You don't have permission to access /news.html on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.ratherbiased.com Port 80

I'd like to read the original CBS article/report as well.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
The link was working.

Maybe it will be again later.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:54 am
Brand X wrote:
The link was working.

Perhaps for you, because you are registered with rather biased.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/09/29/cbs_wmd/index.html
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brand X wrote:
The link was working.

Perhaps for you, because you are registered with rather biased.

No, even going to Google the site doesn't come up, it's completely down all the sudden.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 09:12 am
Quote:
The joys of seeing an anchor sink
By ERIC DEGGANS, Times TV/Media Critic
Published September 26, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He knows it sounds like false modesty. Or a clumsy attempt to seem gracious.

But though he's spent four years maintaining a Web site dedicated to proving CBS anchor Dan Rather is biased; and though RatherBiased.com contributed to the outcry that forced the anchor to admit serious flaws in his Sept. 8 60 Minutes story about President Bush's National Guard service, Matthew W. Sheffield insists one thing is true.

He doesn't hate Dan Rather.

"We just wanted to fully expose and prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any claims to nonpartisanship and objectivity on his part were patently false," said Sheffield, a 26-year-old Web site designer who, with his brother Greg, started the RatherBiased.com Web log (or "blog") in response to the anchor's coverage of Bill Clinton's impeachment proceedings.

"We have no animus against him. But this "Memogate' fiasco is just another example of Dan Rather's long record of lowering his journalistic standards when it comes to Republicans."

But after an hour or so talking to Sheffield, it seems obvious: Rather has burrowed under his skin like a Texas tick on a hot summer day.

Talk to other conservatives with a Rather-sized chip on their shoulder, and you'll hear the same song of complaint. His oddball, corn-fed sayings. His history of confronting Republican politicians such as Richard Nixon and George H.W. Bush. His folksy way of shrugging off any criticisms of his reporting or on-air comments.

Other network TV anchors have absorbed their fair share of criticism and allegations of bias (opinionated cable guys such as Fox News' Bill O'Reilly are another matter). But Rather has built a 30-plus-year history of frustrating conservatives. "Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings . . . they're not so arrogant and self-righteous," said Sheffield. "Dan Rather . . . he takes fairness criticisms personally. He thinks if you accuse him of being a liberal, you're accusing him of being a far-left nutjob."

So Rather's apology last week, in which he admitted CBS News could not guarantee the authenticity of memos purportedly showing that Bush received favorable treatment in the Guard and failed to meet performance standards, felt like a gift from above - the smoking gun critics needed to validate decades of often-fruitless sniping.

"I think this is the greatest story since Noah went on the ark . . . it's like a pinata; you can bash it from any side and sorts of great things fall out," said Jonah Goldberg, a conservative columnist for the New Republic Online. "There is no way you can explain this without media bias being part of the equation.

"This 60 Minutes story never would have happened if the memos had come from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth against John Kerry. Now (Rather) is a joke, and everyone can see it."

Goldberg also cites Rather's arrogance as the primary source of conservatives' hatred, comparing the anchor to a college roomate who drinks your last can of beer and then won't admit it.

"He thinks that you're a partisan fool if you don't see that he is the paragon of objectivity, and that drives me nuts," said Goldberg, who has appeared on a variety of TV and radio shows to debate - and celebrate - Rather's embarrassment.

"I would stop talking about media bias if the establishment press would just admit it. Just admit you took the last beer."

Deluged with media attention last week, a CBS News spokeswoman Friday e-mailed a two-sentence statement on the issue: "Journalists are often the target of partisan factions, and Dan is no exception. However, there is no truth to those allegations."

Marvin Kalb, former director of Harvard University's Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy, said Rather's critics often seem to confuse his admittedly puzzling public statements and bulldog reporting style with bias.

Kalb, a former host of NBC's Meet the Press who also worked at CBS News, said conservatives' ire at Rather dates back to his time covering Watergate as the network's White House correspondent - when the anchor's hard-charging style led to public, angry confrontations with then-President Richard Nixon and Vice President Spiro Agnew.

"There's nothing like this long, festering unhappiness with Rather that many conservatives have . . . but I think Dan - he's not oblivious to politics, but he loves covering the story," said Kalb, recalling a failed effort by then-North Carolina Sen. Jesse Helms in 1985 to rally conservatives to buy enough CBS stock to fire Rather. "Yes, every now and then he comes out with the quirkiest comments you can imagine. (But) I don't think Dan Rather put (ideologically) suspect stories on the air."

Top anchor at the network since legendary newsman Walter Cronkite's retirement in 1981, Rather is just the fourth anchor to lead the evening news at CBS, the network which invented the television newsmagazine with 60 Minutes, featured Edward R. Murrow's landmark documentary series See It Now, and dominated the early TV news scene with Cronkite's near-20-year reign as the "most trusted man in America."

Rather's own career history involves starring roles in the country's biggest news stories, from his status as the first journalist to report John F. Kennedy's death to his tough reportage in Vietnam, his work on Watergate, his dispatches from the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and his work on the Iran-Contra scandal.

And as a journalist whose job involves serving as a charismatic, emotionally connected embodiment of a network's news division, Rather wears that history and responsibility more uneasily than any other big name in the game.

"These guys have been in people's living rooms for 20-30 years . . . and Rather has a edge to him," said Jeff Alan, author of Anchoring America: The Changing Face of Network News. "Where I think Brokaw and Jennings are more straightforward, standard TV anchors, Rather has always been different."

Just how different has emerged over the years, from his puzzling use of the word "courage" to sign off his newscasts for a week in the mid-'80s, to a bizarre assault in 1986 by a man shouting "Kenneth, what is the frequency?" to his decision in 1987 to storm off the set when a tennis match came close to interrupting his newscast.

But until "Memogate," there really wasn't an incident that pulled together Rather's tightly wound, quirky personal style with a major journalism gaffe.

Now, he faces a two-person independent panel investigating just how 60 Minutes used memos they couldn't authenticate, given them by a longtime Bush critic.

Some of the more extreme predictions about the scandal's fallout sound more like a conservative's wishful thinking. With no-name backups such as John Roberts and Scott Pelley in the wings, few analysts expect CBS to dump Rather outright. And instead of destroying network news, the blogs' influence in Memogate seems to be speeding up the news cycle - inspiring big news outlets to jump on stories quicker and vetting blockbuster stories for accuracy.

But Rather's critics insist the anchor's excesses might finally be tearing down The House That Murrow Built.

"He's going to become the Michael Moore of TV news . . . preaching only to the choir," said Sheffield, who doesn't believe Rather will be fired by CBS over the incident. "In many ways, he's sort of harmed the credibility and infrastructure at CBS News. And the congregation has left the building."
Source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:00 pm
"He's going to become the Michael Moore of TV news . . . preaching only to the choir," said Sheffield, who doesn't believe Rather will be fired by CBS over the incident. "In many ways, he's sort of harmed the credibility and infrastructure at CBS News. And the congregation has left the building."

Micheal Moore is not a democrat, he just happens to be against George Bush at the present time and knows Nader don't have a chance of beating Bush.

Having said that, talk about preaching to choir. I used to think, and it was true when I thought it, that conservatives on TV was just preaching to the chior. Unfortunetly I found out that if you tell something long enough and often enough the choir becomes bigger. So I think despite the memo thing Rather aught to keep on doing his thing and CBS aught not let that whole thing keep them from doing anything. But that station has proved a disapointment in the past in that direction and they are now too and probably will again.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:28 pm
Moore is a registered Democrat.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:35 pm
Oh. I thought he was an independent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:45 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Moore is a registered Democrat.

Obviously another of Moore's lies?

Quote:
Foreman: You're not a registered Democrat.

Moore: I'm not a registered Democrat, no. I'm an independent voter, and I'm not a member of the Democratic Party. In Michigan you don't register by party. I did vote in the Democratic primary this year.
Source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:46 pm
oh again.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
Moore is also a registered Democrat in New York.

Michael Moore simultaneously on voter rolls in New York, Michigan

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0628041moore1.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 12:53 pm
That was 1992, though...? Walter's link is from a dozen years later (this year.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:11 pm
Don't pay any attention the that man behind the curtain with outdated documents. Perhaps that should be submitted to CBS.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Geez, even when presented with a document proving Moore is a liar, some just can't help but believe the lie...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
Geez, McG, if Moore had said I've never been a Democrat, or I've never registered as a Democrat, I'd be with you. But he was talking in the present tense...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:18 pm
He is still registered in New York. you tell me what that means to you.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
Looks like a fake document to me.

We did not have sequential lettering in 1992.

The space between the first and second zero in the zip code is not even, and should be when compared to other lettering.

The "X" in the box next to Democrat is obviously NOT the same "X" as in the Yes box right above it.

The "X" next to Democrat was made with a different writing instrument, which produced thicker, heavier lines than is apparent with the "X" next to the Yes.

Does this mean anyone with a Blog can obtain my registration form and post it on the internet? Where did this form come from? Who has a right to peoples voter registration information?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 01:51 pm
McGentrix wrote:
He is still registered in New York. you tell me what that means to you.

It means nothing to me. For all I know, I may still be registered in Virginia and Florida, but I don't live there and I don't vote there. If you asked me where I was registered to vote I would say this state. If you asked me which party I would tell you whatever I was registered as in this state. For me, it has always been independent, but it might well change to Democrat in the future in which case you might be able to pull a voter registration card from Florida for 1992 that says I am not in fact a Democrat. Let it go already.
0 Replies