Need advice on MIL that cut me out of her life.

Noddy24

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
Shouldbeworking--

I'm confused. You say:

Quote:
He's having such a hard time now dealing with the realization that his own Mom can simply cut him out of her life... if he found this out I'm afraid it would be more than he can handle

but earlier you said that he had come to terms with his mother, her drinking and her attitude to life.

Which?

As for the abortion and later abandonment, this woman is given to dramatic gestures, guaranteed to fizzle. Drinking doesn't make her nasty--she's just got a lot of inate talent for nastiness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
Also, how did you get this info from FIL the "sperm donor"?

At any rate, while it may be hurtful, go ahead and tell your hubby. a) it's the kind of thing that if he finds it out later and finds out you knew but didn't tell him, it could bite you in the butt, and b) it might not be as hurtful as you expect. My mom was *this* close to having an abortion, herself -- similar age, similar circumstances. It wasn't particularly shocking to me when I found out. As far as I know, she didn't leave me for any amount of time, but post-partum depression is a thing, yeah. Doesn't seem like a world-shatterer, especially when they have had such a fraught relationship since.

Oh and c), I'm suspicious of FIL's story as being self-serving, hubby can probably figure that out, too.
0 Replies

shouldbeworking

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:11 am
The fabulous thing about my hubby is that he tells me he's ok, he tells me things aren't bothering him but I know him well enough to know better. He's dealing on the outside and trys not to mention things and hopes that will convince me that everythings ok. That in itself worries me because I'm afraid he's holding things in that need to be dealt with.

I have called a friend of mine who is putting us in touch with a family therapist. My husband says he doesn't need someone from the outside that doesn't know whats going on giving us an opinion....... (seems like a typical male answer). But he did agree to at least give it a try.

FIL, yes I'm sure he does have his own motives and as I've had a night to sleep on things I think perhaps it best to keep things to myself. There's been enough turmoil to deal with for the moment. Maybe at a later time when we haven't been hit with so much I might bring it up, I think for now I'm just going to mention to FIL that I don't feel it's my place to deliver this information.

As for MIL, we have heard nothing from her. I think we will likely see her in a few weeks at the family gathering and until then I'm going to do the best I can to put her out of my thoughts.

I have realized with the postings I have submitted that it's a pretty awesome thing to be able to see things from different points of view and that everyone has a little something different to add. Thanks to all. Smile
0 Replies