Decorated Soldier Attacked At Concert

Fedral

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:07 pm
In a wonderful example of how those who seem to be against the war, seemingly aren't against violence.

This harkens back to the members of the 'Peace Movement' of the Vietnam era directing their hate against the wrong targets.

Decorated Soldier Reportedly Attacked At Concert
Barton Cannot Return To Iraq Due To Injuries

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A local soldier back from the war in Iraq said he was beaten at an area concert because of what was printed on his T-shirt, NBC 4's Nancy Burton reported.

Foster Barton, 19, of Grove City, received a Purple Heart for his military service in Iraq. He almost lost his leg last month after a Humvee he was riding in ran over a landmine.

Barton said he was injured again Friday night in a crowded parking lot as he was leaving the Toby Keith concert at Germain Amphitheatre. The solider was injured so badly that he can't go back to Iraq as scheduled.

"I don't remember getting hit at all, really," said Barton, a member of the 1st Calvary Division. "He hit me in the back of the head. I fell and hit the ground. I was knocked unconscious and he continued to punch and kick me on the ground."

Barton and his family said he was beat up because he was wearing an Iraqi freedom T-shirt.

"It's not our fault," Barton said. "I'm just doing a job."

According to a Columbus police report, six witnesses who didn't know Barton said the person who beat him up was screaming profanities and making crude remarks about U.S. soldiers, Burton reported.

One witness, a friend of the alleged attacker, said Barton hit first. Police said they do not think that witness is credible since the six other witnesses said Barton was hit from behind.

Barton's mother said she has a message for her son's alleged attacker, who police said ran into the crowd after the incident and was not arrested.

"He needs our prayers, just like the insurgents, because he's a coward," Cindy Barton said.

After a two-week leave, Barton was supposed to return to Iraq Tuesday. But his broken nose will delay his return.

Barton is waiting for doctors to tell him when he can return to active duty. He said wants to go back as soon as possible because his unit was just attacked. Eleven soldiers were wounded and two were killed, he said.

LINK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,428 • Replies: 40
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:10 pm
I sympathize for him.....the wheel of karma turns...so many here and elsewhere have attacked another decorated war hero........neither is fair is it?

and the innocent always bear the brunt......
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:17 pm
I take offense at being lumped in with people who commit violence because I was against the war. I am nothing if not non violent. Secondly it was shame whether he was a soldier or not and third I don't believe in blaming the soldiers for the war in iraq so I am against the violence that was done to the soldier and the accused aught to pay for it.

I hope no one questions his purple heart.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:02 pm
Well said, revel.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:26 pm
Agreed Revel.

And I would never question his purple heart. After all, he did nearly lose his leg unlike others (tongue in cheek warning) who got theirs after nearly losing a little blood.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
Anyone who willingly goes to a Toby Keith concert deserves to get beat up, no matter what their t-shirt says.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:54 pm
kicky kicky kicky lol
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:23 pm
I am unable to determine the position of the alleged attacker on Iraqi freedom based on the information presented in this article, nor his connection, if any, to "those who seem to be against the war".

Perhaps somebody in the military stole his girlfriend. Or he was unable to pass the physical and was ridiculed by the recruiter. Or maybe he's just a jerk who likes to pick fights in parking lots.

In any case, one can be opposed to a particular war without also being an advocate of non-violence, it seems to me. And one can deplore the use of violence even when the victim is not a soldier. But of course, then there is no story.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:30 pm
Funny. I woulda guessed that anyone at a Toby Keith concert would be pro-war, pro-Iraq, pro-soldier. I'm thinking there's more to this story. Or perhaps a lot less.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:36 pm
kickycan wrote:
Anyone who willingly goes to a Toby Keith concert deserves to get beat up, no matter what their t-shirt says.

yee haw!!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:39 pm
Here's two big reasons why a soldier might go to a Toby Keith concert. You guys aren't paying attention. I've been trying...

http://www.tnkfk.com/sandbox/
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:39 pm
Good point ehbeth Keith's fans are pretty pro-war rabid.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:56 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Agreed Revel.

And I would never question his purple heart. After all, he did nearly lose his leg unlike others (tongue in cheek warning) who got theirs after nearly losing a little blood.

Maybe somebody with no scruples would say that the soldier was really joy-riding while intoxicated in that humvee and then he carelessly ran over a landmine.

Looks like we need some more picture things like a tongue protruding out the side of a cheek. But then I guess a thing like could get out of hand.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
http://www.countrygoldusa.com/courtesy_red_white_blue.asp

Hey Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list,
And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist.
And the eagle will fly,
And there's gonna be Hell,
When you hear Mother Freedom start ringing her bell!
It's gonna feel like the whole wide world is raining down on you...
Brought to you courtesy of the Red, White and Blue!

I guess Bush don't go to Toby Keith concerts or maybe Toby had Saddam in mind instead of Osma Bin Ladden.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
Re: Decorated Soldier Attacked At Concert
Okay, I read this story over again and it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
"I don't remember getting hit at all, really," said Barton, a member of the 1st Calvary Division. "He hit me in the back of the head. I fell and hit the ground. I was knocked unconscious and he continued to punch and kick me on the ground."

How does an unconscious person know he is being beaten and kicked?

Quote:

According to a Columbus police report, six witnesses who didn't know Barton said the person who beat him up was screaming profanities and making crude remarks about U.S. soldiers, Burton reported.

Six Toby Keith fans watched a US soldier being beaten by a single assailant? And didn't grab him?

This story stinks to high heaven. But even if it's true it doesn't say anything about those of us who are against war.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
Lol!!!! One incident occurs, and suddenly anti-war people are pro-violence.

Very sound scientific method........
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
Only in America deb
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:20 pm
Lol!!!! One incident occurs, and suddenly anti-war people are pro-violence.

Very sound scientific method........

Here's some similarly sound reasoning:

Recently, a group of soldiers here were convicted of torturing a litter of kittens to death - (true story) - it is a pity that it seems soldiers are psychopaths.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:21 pm
Well, waddya know? It's Vietnam all over again.

And neoconservatives were all so insistent that Iraq is nothing like Vietnam.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:30 pm
I'm willing to bet that there is more to the story. I've worked security at many a concert and have seen the way people down the liquid courage and talk smack for no apparent reason. Could have been the kid said something to the wrong person or as Greyfan said maybe the guy who beat him up has a grudge against the military. My guess would be the former but that's just my opinion based on my experience.
0 Replies