I don't listen to Rush anymore

Harper

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:15 pm
Rush is a fathead gasbag.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:43 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I listen to Rush only incidentally as he is on our primary news station here. I think I first heard him in1986 or 1987 out of an Amarillo station when I was working in eastern New Mexico and some time later he was franchised here and immediately took 770 KOB Albuquerque from #3 to #1 in the region.

He is on what used to be a good news station in Tucson. Check out the current KNST lineup.

http://www.knst.com/timages/page/KNSTnewllineuppicsNEW1.jpg

The station is now Clear Channel trash talk. Dave Skyler is an import from California that does a local talk show. He tries to be a Sean Hannity clone. They even lost out on being the host station for U of A athletics.

Then we also have KVOI which is also back to back conservative talk with
Laura Ingrahm
Dennis Prager
Michael Medved
Hugh Hewitt
Dave Ramsey

One thing for Rush, he sure spawned a lot of copy cats.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:47 pm
But if you don't like these cats, all you have to do is switch over to NPR and be force fed their standard left wing stuff. It isn't as if there is no choice as to what you listen to. As has been discussed on other threads at other times though, Conservative Talk Radio has generally been much more successful than any liberal attempts to do it. That's probably because the large majority of the country is more conservative than liberal whether or not they see themselves that way.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:59 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
As has been discussed on other threads at other times though, Conservative Talk Radio has generally been much more successful than any liberal attempts to do it. That's probably because the large majority of the country is more conservative than liberal whether or not they see themselves that way.

It is more likely just that hate is an easier sell.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:24 pm
If it was hate, I wouldn't listen to any of it.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:45 pm
Oh it is hate, no doubt about it. Perhaps it is just that you identify with some of the ideology and therefore overlook the labeling, stereo typing, and ridiculing that is typical of the format.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:54 pm
I listened to him for about five minutes on the car radio on the 405 freeway one smoggy day. That's it.

I listened to Dr. Laura a few minutes more, being more stunned, and perhaps more traffic jammed.

I think some station - if they haven't already, should consider back and forth arguments as more interesting.

Geez, there is a possibility that could with various proponents, get interesting.

Me, I don't listen to any of it. Value serene time, at least in my car.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:54 am
Harper wrote:
Rush is a fathead gasbag.

you forgot doo doo head...ca ca face and poopy butt.. Laughing
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:57 am
Bear, this is a bodily function kinda day for you , ain't it?..."Take Me To The River"?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:15 am
actually I'll be noticeably absent today. I have a shitload of stuff to do. (there's that bodily function thing again...)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:23 am
Foxfyre wrote:
But if you don't like these cats, all you have to do is switch over to NPR and be force fed their standard left wing stuff.

There's just no comparing that lineup to what you hear on NPR.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:20 am
Thank heavens each and every radio comes preinstalled with a method of changing channels!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:00 am
While I believe most Americans are probably more conservative than liberal if we compared each value and belief one by one and side by side, I accept that 50% think there is too much conservative talk radio. But if those 50% liked liberal talk radio, there would be a lot of it out there.

Advertisers don't discriminate according to political leanings, but most put their money where the listeners are. Liberal talk radio is making it in only a very few narrow markets and I think it struggles even there. NPR couldn't make it without funding other than from advertisers.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:03 am
Liberal talk radio is an oxymoron. NPR is bit more balanced than conserv. radio...for me that is.LOL
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:54 am
Liberal talk radio will never work like Conservative talk radio does. Conservatives talk radio spends all day espousing that everyone should think like they do. Liberals on the other hand, to paraphrase Twain, will defend any side of an argument but their own. Face it, radio like all art and theater works best when it creates conflict. Liberals are too fair minded to create good conflict in that they can see the other side of an argument. (For that matter, intelligent people on the conservative side can see the other side as well.)

Of course that doesn't mean that there isn't a looney left out there, there is. It's just that the majority of liberals wouldn't listen to that looney left any more than they would agree with the looney right.

A couple of realizations: (probably wrong but here they are.)
Some on the right are so blinded by their ideology that they think NPR is liberal simply because it doesn't promote their ideology 24/7.

Liberal radio can exist today because there is conflict created by the extreme right in arguing against them, even if the liberal radio itself is wishy washy in comparison to conservative radio. (What does this say about our society when factually examining our problems is seen as extreme?)

----------
"Unlearned views... are, perhaps, the more confident in proportion as they are less enlightened." --Thomas Jefferson
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:04 am
parados wrote:
Liberal talk radio will never work like Conservative talk radio does. Conservatives talk radio spends all day espousing that everyone should think like they do. Liberals on the other hand, to paraphrase Twain, will defend any side of an argument but their own. Face it, radio like all art and theater works best when it creates conflict. Liberals are too fair minded to create good conflict in that they can see the other side of an argument. (For that matter, intelligent people on the conservative side can see the other side as well.)

Of course that doesn't mean that there isn't a looney left out there, there is. It's just that the majority of liberals wouldn't listen to that looney left any more than they would agree with the looney right.

A couple of realizations: (probably wrong but here they are.)
Some on the right are so blinded by their ideology that they think NPR is liberal simply because it doesn't promote their ideology 24/7.

Liberal radio can exist today because there is conflict created by the extreme right in arguing against them, even if the liberal radio itself is wishy washy in comparison to conservative radio. (What does this say about our society when factually examining our problems is seen as extreme?)

----------
"Unlearned views... are, perhaps, the more confident in proportion as they are less enlightened." --Thomas Jefferson

So, I finally got back into my chair, still wiping the tears though....

"Liberals are too fair minded to create good conflict in that they can see the other side of an argument. "

That really got me. Thanks parados. I needed that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:06 am
Perhaps you should think about it some more, as there is a lot of truth in that statement.

When was the last time you heard a conservative pundit telling you that we have to be careful and consider both sides of an issue?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:16 am
Everyday I see how "fair minded" liberals are by browsing the politics forum on A2K...

Too fair minded to create good conflict... I am still laughing...

I guess you are right though, the good part is probably an exagerration.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Perhaps you should think about it some more, as there is a lot of truth in that statement.

When was the last time you heard a conservative pundit telling you that we have to be careful and consider both sides of an issue?

Cycloptichorn

Bill O'reilly tried it and he is now getting a pasting from the other talk show hosts.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:07 pm
<wiping eyes,...what a moment of clarity...the libs are too special to think bad thoughts, say controversial things...their poo smells like honeysuckle...LOL>
0 Replies