Those Who Rewrite History

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
I get where you guys are coming from on the 'trust' issue. While I may not shoot my mom down everytime she retells the same story the 10th way, I definitely don't believe much of anything she has to say.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
Point taken, au1929, but there are other points being made that's just as valid. My point is not about being 'right' but about being honest about your past, especially when talking to someone who knows your truth. And no, everyone does not embellish. If you're ashamed of something or don't want to talk about past unpleasantness, then don't. That's your perogative and far better, in my opinion, than lying about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:04 pm
Also, there are embellishments and there are embellishments. The 10-inch fish becoming a foot long, whatever. Denying that the fishing trip ever happened and it's a figment of your imagination created to make the teller look bad, not so much.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
You know though, in response to the replies siting the acceptance of truth; everyone says they regard honesty as the best policy, but I've found that people are genuinely shocked when they meet a truly honest person.

Plus, when does honesty slip into hurtfulness and hair splitting? It's a fine line. One of my friends is so OTT. I'll say, 'last week when we went to the shop....'etc, and she'll go ' are you sure it was last week, because I was bla bla bla last week, and when I saw you, you were bla bla bla. Lets think, no I definately think it was two weeks ago.' And you know when you think THAT WAS NOT THE ESSENCE OF WHAT I WAS SAYING! lol It is of no importance to my story, it was a by the by remark...lol
0 Replies