Irony

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:23 am
A friend claims that I once said to her, "I don't believe in god, but I do believe in irony." I don't recall saying it, and I'm not sure if it's from somewhere else, but I'm willing to take credit for the sentiment...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 03:50 pm
yes, but what does it mean...?
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:35 pm
LarryBS, I just got to your post about Jay Fulmer and irony. I think it is one of the funniest jokes I have heard. It gets, not a guffaw, but a chuckle that grows to laughter. Thanks a bunch. I've added it to the couple hundred jokes in my repertoire.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:55 am
Glad you liked it, I received it by e-mail.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 01:52 am
Larry, thats he he mail right
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 02:00 am
Its a daily news e-mail from the he-he-C (BBC).
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 02:04 am
The best web site still www.bbc.co.uk
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 02:45 am
I agree completely.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
www.refdesk.com is also very useful
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:50 am
...indubitably....but what has this to do with irony?
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:31 pm
"A fine thing indeed!" he muttered to himself

Thats two tellimgs off in one day I'm going home and take my ball with me ! harrumph.....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 05:55 pm
dlowan wrote:
yes, but what does it mean...?

Re not believing in god, but believing in irony. Well, I don't think there's a supreme being to whom I'm ultimately answerable, but I do think my actions have consequences, and not always in ways I may have intended. I guess I believe in an amalgam of karma and randomness, so that the net result may be anything other than what I meant to happen. And it's often ironic, if viewed with a little detachment.

Or something like that!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 06:04 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:1Ts4o3hjzTkC:img.yupimsn.com/dm/articles/img/Jeremy-Irons.jpg
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 06:08 pm
Thanks, Joanne, my favorite actor. I've told me people that I want Irons to take the role of me, in case I ever become famous and my life story is filmed.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 07:28 pm
D'art he is one of my favs too. Love him in all his work but watch and re-watch Brideshead all the time which is ironic, isn't it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 07:59 pm
Thank you D'artagnan!

Waaaaaaaaaaah! Seems I cannot turn around without stepping on Hiama!

(Picks Hiama up gently, tenderly dusts him off with her hanky, sensitively reinserts his ball (!) into appropriate portion of his anatomy, gives him a stiff drink of his choice and apologises sincerely AGAIN...all the while thinking what a tender soul he is, and how she admires sensitivity in a man....and returns him to his proper place in the game of A2k - hoping he remains there...)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 09:47 pm
Hmmm... the fact that poor hiama has only one ball and that the lonely ball was inserted by a wascally wabbit in what the wabbit considers an appropriate part of said hiama's anatomy...well, it seems to me as an American, that there must, surely must, be some irony to be found in something, or somewhere or.......
(how big was the ball and where was it inserted?????) This could be important!! Even.....ironic!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 10:15 pm
I had assumed it to be HIS ball, that was put back from whence he had taken it - he said: "I'm going home and take my ball with me !"

It would be awfully ironic if it had, in fact, been somebody else's ball!

You don't think?............NO!

Anyway, Hiama is British - he is exquisitely attuned to irony and would probably just laugh and carry on were the worst to have happened...

It did seem to pop into place quite easily...
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:27 am
Ah that's better my ball is safely back in place and all is well with the world. Its the one that won prizes ! The other one is so small it can stay off, its hardly a ball at all if the truth was known.

Jeremy Irons being english like me, is indeed a formidable actor (I am sure that you were not alluding to matters physical but to the metaphysical), however he has never really fulfilled his early promise. which is a shame. I have the boxed set of Brideshead and watch it now and again, don't they all look so young ? What has he really achieved since then, he seems to have picked some wrong uns. I'd like to see him come into his own, it is difficult to think of much that is very good of his that is contemporary. Out of all his films I would pick Reversal of Fortune, The Mission and The French Lieutenant's woman as the only ones where he did himself justice -what say you all ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 03:08 pm
Indeed - but I have always found him rather slithery and reptilian - was Reversal of Fortune the one where he played Claus von Bulow? If so, I think he found a role perfect for him in that film.
0 Replies