Irony

hiama

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:53 am
Deb,

I agree with you, I did not like to offend D'Artagnan and Joanne Dorel. Yes it was the role of Klaus von Bulow. I think he makes a good dissolute rake and there are plenty of good parts in literature for him.

I think he would have made a good Hannibal Lecter, maybe even better than our Tony -what do you think ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:58 am
Hmmmmmmmmmm...........he might have made an excellent one. He was horrific in that weird film about the obstetrician twins...

However, I think he might have had trouble conveying the odd attractiveness of Lecter..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:03 am
Irony alert... LAst week, Rush Limbaugh was ranting about how the proposed "Liberal" talk network will probably be spending most of its time ranting about the GOP and the Conservatives.

Like he doesnt realize hes cornered that act.

Post 47
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:05 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:08 am
I have a problem with this . . . the Euros have been up to this sort of condescension since the day one. With an originally overwhelming reactionary monarchist system in place, the Euros found us to be loutish bumpkins without the least sophistication because of our naive liberalism, and our "bound-to-fail" democratic system. By the time two hundred years had elapsed, the Euros found us far too conservative, "bound-to-fail" because we had no real democracy--a nation of near-facists, naively falling into lock-step with the latest conservative demagogue. The Europeans need to get over themselves.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:15 am
Setanta--dont get a wedgie. Remember, MArk Twains best audience was in Europe.
He was given rave reviews as The Comedic Genius of the planet for his age. So we gotta wait a hundred years or so. Remember the Brits havent done anything funny since Monty Python . Now they have a guy called Mr Methane who farts to music.

hey this is post 49
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:16 am
AND< TRY TO THINK OF ANYTHING FUNNY COMING FROM FRANCE OR GERMANY..

beam me up
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:26 am
I'm not getting a wedgie, Boss--this is not the only Yank-bashing, "you don't get it, do you thread" on this board. I've also seen this horseshite at other boards in Europe. There are times when i tire of this . ..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:38 am
Where is Billy Falcon from? It might be self-flagellation for all I know.

I think American humour is full of irony - and that when people speak in generalities of the presence or absence of the beast, they generally mean in popular movies and lots of television.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:39 am
But - what do I know? I am just a rabbit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 11:05 am
And a cunning one at that . . . my response is not specifically directed at the author, i'm not trying to pick a fight . . . do not others see the irony of such a thread at an American board? I simply grow tired of Americans being asked to be such good hosts while the guests purposefully track mud all over the pile carpet . . . "Oh, please do sit down, no not there, sit here on the sofa, it's much more comfortable. Can i get you a cold drink? Yes, of course, it is winter--shall i get you some coffee? Perhaps you'd like some tea? Feel free to wipe your boots on the upholstery."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 01:34 pm
Ironies inside ironies, like a chinese carved puzzle ball...
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 01:37 pm
Setanta,

Visit Lola's salon to see us all getting on very well indeed, I have the utmost respect and love for all my cyberpals, yes even the ozzie wabbit !
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:50 pm
Now that Ive been promoted to some other non-descript title, my words will take on an even more sage train of thought. Right now Im just fresh out of anything smartass to say so Id just like to thank the a2K board of regents for confering this title. I shall, with fresh degree in hand, seek employment

Youve got to admit, no matter towhat you most favorably respond, be it irony or litotes, all must admit that puns are the stupidest and lowest form of humor.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:42 am
Hiama, i wasn't attacking you, nor anyone else at this site--are we all supposed to show up at a thread and agree with the author every time?

Yassuh, yassuh, thas right . . . i'm such a big dummy, i shoulda known them there Yerapeans had the answers . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:47 am
I am very fond of puns, indeed, and consider them a sign of great quickness of thought and associative elasticity and richness.

Setanta - you may disagree with me whenever you wish. I have just disagreed, myself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:38 am
I, however, consider the use of puns, a sign of a mass murderer, most people who revel in puns, dwell on them. puns kind of creep me out.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:08 am
Farmerman, I fear you may have confused puns with guns

I think you may like this:- Smile

"The next time you make up a pun,"
A father once said to his son,
"Go out in the yard,
And kick yourself hard,
And I will begin when you've done."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:13 am
At an Irish site at which i frequently post, the rule of conduct is simply stated as attack the idea, not the man. I've made no personal comments in this thread. I don't claim to be simon pure in my behavior at this site, but this is certainly not an example of my having resorted to ad hominem writing. I am attacking the idea. The substance of my complaint would, in fact, more properly be leveled at Americans. Basically, we are an hospitable people. Neither i nor anyone else of whom i know at this site does not welcome those from other countries who post here. I am pleased with the diversity of opinion, points of view, humor (for our spelling challenged posters from other english-speaking countries, there is only one "u" in the word humor)-and would have it no other way.

It is because Americans are so quick to find fault with themselves that such an idea is not only very likely to be accepted at this site, but also likely to attract many Americans who will nod their electronic heads, saying in effect: "Yup, that's us, all over." My estimate is that there are just as great a proportion of subtle and incisive intellects, as well as complete blockheads, in our population as in the population of any other country. Therefore, i have a problem with the contention that there is a special understanding of irony in Europe which is lacking in the United States. Idiots abound here-and in my limited experience, idiocy is just as prevalent and cherished in the hallowed haunts of the "old countries." England, for example, remains America's closest ally-as is proper. Nevertheless, we went to war with that nation in 1775 and 1812, and only narrowly avoided war with them in the 1830's over the claim of los Estados Unidos del Rio del Plata (Argentina) to the Malvinas (Falkland) Islands; narrowly avoided war over Oregon in the 1840's; sat placidly by while Fenians invaded Canada in 1866 & 1867 (prompting England to drop Canada like a hot rock); stole Hawaii from them in the 1880's; narrowly avoided a war with them over a Venezuelan border dispute in 1895. There is just a smidge of irony in the close relationship between the two nations. But then, perhaps no one here in America noticed that.

I am attacking the idea, and no individual here. I contend that this is an all too common example of European hubris in their view of America. How easy to criticize and nit-pick with so affable a people, who still go over to Europe in droves to spread their dollars around and gawk slack-jawed at the antiquities. When, at another site, someone commented on the rube-ish lack of sophistication of American tourists, i pointed out that many American tourists are working-class, the nation's prosperity allowing them to travel as the working class peoples of other nations have not traditionally travelled throughout history. Perhaps this, as well, contributes to a flavor of contempt which pervades European descriptions of Americans and their society. Frankly, i don't care-i do get perturbed, and i ache for my people that they so quietly, so placidly accept unjust judgments laid against them by the inhabitants of the most war-like, and war-torn continent in history. Europeans have only recently replaced wanton slaughter and destruction with football as their favorite outdoor sport. As i said earlier, Europeans need to get over themselves.

Anyone who does not like puns in unAmerican, and ought to ridiculed in the street . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 02:49 pm
what the hell you on my case for? I think puns suck, its not a Goddam shibboleth for the Republican Party.
By the way, WE REALLY LOST THE WAR OF 1812 BUT WON THE PEACE BY OUTPOLITICKING THE BRITS.

PUNS ARE FOR LOWLIFES
0 Replies