Any ideas on how to reign in a 13 year old?

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:15 pm
Dd13 is quite popular, friendly, outgoing, sporty, formerly a good student who cared about her work, now coasting on her smarts w/out putting out too much effort... By that, I mean her grades are mostly "B"s, and she's on top of her work, but only b/c it's expedient to do so, I think... Embarrassed However, beyond that, where the problem lies, is her attitude. Embarrassed She likes to state that she is queen of this household.[/i] Embarrassed She says it in jest, but also means it on some level, expects things to go her way, bullies the little people to have her way... Embarrassed

It started over the summer when I was leaving the little people home with her while I would go do a massage or 2, or off to an exercise class, a couple hours here or there, and I began coming home to ds5 acting like a big baby, and whiny; sometimes dd7 also acting babyish. Confused The babies told me that she would push them and pinch them and yell at them and sometimes lock them out of the house. Shocked Cutting back on my workload cuts back on our income. Paying someone outside cuts into our income. Confused So she and I talked and talked, and I would be told what I wanted to hear from her, and she doesn't lock them out of the house any more, but she forgets and barks orders like a drill sergeant at them! Shocked Often unreasonable orders ("Pick that puzzle up, now!" 2 days ago- I was doing a 700 piece puzzle with the babies- we had about 500 pieces together at the time... Confused) And she was on the phone w/one of her girlfriends the other day, and dd7 came knocking at the side door, dd13 opened it up, shouted, "What do you want?" and when dd7 said nothing, she slammed the door shut in her little sister's face!) Shocked

I limit the amount of time she babysits for me, now, I utilize A+, (and ds5 sometimes has a day whine-free, but I feel like I am running interference to keep the whining from happening.) But if I need to work in an evening, like tonight, I need to rely on her (or hire someone to come in or else farm them out elsewhere and disrupt their schedules... ) I'm not quite sure how to get the message that she needs to be nicer to them across... I've tried telling her to treat them with the courtesy she would have for a stranger. Confused At one point, after volley ball started up (she's a fantastic player- drives herself hard, pumps up the team...) she got that we were a family team and she needed to lift up her team members, not tear them down, but that message didn't stick... I don't quite know what to do with her... And ds5's whining is really very unnattractive! It's a reaction to her treatment toward him, I am convinced of that! Shocked Dd7 gets caught in the middle, she has always been closer to her brother than her sister, but she's a little kid and shouldn't have to run interference.

Any thoughts on how to get the behaviors I need from my kids? I tried talking to their bio-dad (we don't actually speak, so it didn't go great, but he did encourage them all to treat each other more nicely at the end of their last visit...) I talked to my bf and he said that if ds5 is whining, then it would get on his nerves, too, and ds5 was getting what he deserved from dd13. Shocked I could opt not to work evenings, but I make $50/hr giving massages, and we need the money; when work is out there, I need to take it... I am willing to consider any ideas... Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:32 pm
Maybe pay her something? $5/ hr say, still with $45/ hr profit? I'm an only child and mine is only 4 (well not yet but 3.75 seems awkward) but thinking back to when I was 13, I think that would help allay the taken-for-granted and extra responsibility aspects.

What is the going rate for a pro babysitter, there? Again it seems like taken out from $50/ hr and vs. nothing and vs. family problems, could be worth it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:19 pm
princesspupule--

I'm not sure whether the title of your question is a pun or a Freudian Slip. Don't you want to "rein in" your little princess (as in controlling a spirited horse) as opposed to letting her "reign" like a little despot?

Also: What is the difference between a dd and a ds? I assume the numbers are ages?

Thirteen is the beginning of the tempestuous teens and it doesn't sound as though you and the Little Princess are off to a good start. You are the adult. The burden of child rearing (and she is still a child) is on your shoulders.

She thinks that she is far more grown up than she is. I'd guess that in addition heartlessly exploiting a sweet and innocent girl that you are
also guilty of treating her like a Mere Child.

Does she have any special privileges as a 13 year old? Or only extra responsibilities? How big a vote does she get in picking her wardrobe? Setting her curfew? Setting her bedtime? Does she have a room of her own?

You spoke of a boyfriend and I gather that your daughter's father is no longer living with you? Always keep in mind that from her point of view, you and her father Ruined Her Life by Putting Yourselves First and Shattering Her Happy Home.

From her point of view, you make the decisions and she has to suffer.

I agree with Sozobe that she deserves some payment for babysitting--providing that the babies are pleased. Babysitting is part of your overhead--you can't go off to clients and leave the little ones alone. You've made your overhead your daughter's problem and she resents it.

Pay at "X" an hour is a possibility.

So is a weekly or fortnightly mother/daughter shopping trip--just the two of you. Think creatively here--you know your daughter better than I do.

Could you upgrade her sports equipment?

Publically recognize your Little Princess's advanced age and superior wisdom. Do the younger kids give her any respect--or do they yammer and tattle? Does she have privileges that they do not?

Think of the babysitting battle as a symptom of a larger problem, not the whole problem.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:30 pm
I don't think paying her hourly would make her any nicer while watching them... Confused Also, sometimes, it's me time I'm taking... Embarrassed And also, although I get paid $50/hr, it takes about 2 hours to go and do a massage total... And a lot of time there is something I need to pop in to buy at a store on the way home, etc. She gets credit toward things she wants or permission to do things she really wants to right now... Besides, when she walks the dogs for the neighbors and makes $40/weekend, her attitude still sucks... Maybe to their faces she seems nice enough, but it's different to your family; we know what she thinks about us and have to put up with her... Bottom line is I don't think she would stop bullying little people if I were giving her money at the time, and then what, dock her for them complaining? That would put them in graver danger. Shocked Right now it's just frustrating stuff: like, will she forget to make them dinner? Or make them stuff they won't eat, then berate them for not eating? Or force them to eat outside for some infraction of her rules? Or will she pinch ds5 for spilling something? Or for spilling something and not cleaning it up fast enough? Or what will happen? (All of these have been the dinner scenarios since she began babysitting... some didn't come out until some time after the incident b/c she threatened them not to tell...)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
Threaten her with having someone else to come in to watch her siblings. AND her. And be prepared to do that. Even if it's just a neighbor or something. Bet the princess won't like that too much.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:41 pm
Sit on her and let her know who's in charge and be consistent. Take her with you to the massages, pay some one else to watch the little ones, remove her privileges and treat her like a ten year old if that's how she's going to act. Do not deviate or weaken.

My cubs are well behaved and respectful because they know, and have been shown, that's it's their ass if they don't.

You're the grownup. Remind her.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:46 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

I'm not sure whether the title of your question is a pun or a Freudian Slip. Don't you want to "rein in" your little princess (as in controlling a spirited horse) as opposed to letting her "reign" like a little despot?

Also: What is the difference between a dd and a ds? I assume the numbers are ages?

Thirteen is the beginning of the tempestuous teens and it doesn't sound as though you and the Little Princess are off to a good start. You are the adult. The burden of child rearing (and she is still a child) is on your shoulders.

She thinks that she is far more grown up than she is. I'd guess that in addition heartlessly exploiting a sweet and innocent girl that you are
also guilty of treating her like a Mere Child.

Does she have any special privileges as a 13 year old? Or only extra responsibilities? How big a vote does she get in picking her wardrobe? Setting her curfew? Setting her bedtime? Does she have a room of her own?

You spoke of a boyfriend and I gather that your daughter's father is no longer living with you? Always keep in mind that from her point of view, you and her father Ruined Her Life by Putting Yourselves First and Shattering Her Happy Home.

From her point of view, you make the decisions and she has to suffer.

I agree with Sozobe that she deserves some payment for babysitting--providing that the babies are pleased. Babysitting is part of your overhead--you can't go off to clients and leave the little ones alone. You've made your overhead your daughter's problem and she resents it.

Pay at "X" an hour is a possibility.

So is a weekly or fortnightly mother/daughter shopping trip--just the two of you. Think creatively here--you know your daughter better than I do.

Could you upgrade her sports equipment?

Publically recognize your Little Princess's advanced age and superior wisdom. Do the younger kids give her any respect--or do they yammer and tattle? Does she have privileges that they do not?

Think of the babysitting battle as a symptom of a larger problem, not the whole problem.

Hold your dominion.

Lol on the freudian slip! Laughing I think I'll leave it stand... Wink

"Ds" is "dear son", DD is "dear daughter," abbreviations from the ivillage boards, I used to frequent, I guess... Embarrassed

Let's see, she does get to pick out her own clothes, and she gets plenty of extracurricular priveleges + things- which are earned through babysitting or doing extra chores around the house... She insisted she was old enough to babysit so there would be more money to fund her extracurricular activities... I am a single parent, and generally hovering around the poverty line income-wise... It was supposed to be a huge help to get/keep things running smoothly... I used to use my best friend's dd(dear daughter) who is 2 years older than mine... She was babysitting for me from when she was 12, so the assumption was that my own girl could take over about at that age... It hasn't gone so well... There are problems letting the other girl do it, too. I've thought about asking her to, again, but she has 2 younger siblings she needs to watch often, so then I have a household full of kids...

XH#2 made things bad through the divorce (completed 7/02.) He hadn't lived with us since 12/95 (last 2 were conceived when he would come over to "visit" Embarrassed) Dd13 has issues about that + about me dating, but they've gotten better since my bf gave us a new car... Embarrassed

Dd13's curfew is to be home by dinner time (6:30~7-ish) except on Friday when she goes to a church youth group- then she comes home in the church van... The little people go to bed at 8; dd13 stays up as late as she likes, but tv goes off by 10:30... She has lots of priveleges the little people don't have: phone privelege, computer time, tv time, no set bedtime...
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
It sounds to me that she herself needs a babysitter. If she is immature enough to pinch your younger children and force them to eat things they do not like she is not old enough to babysit.

I have read all the reply and they are good but the bottom line is YOU are putting your younger kids in the hands of someone who is mean to them, who forces them to eat things they don't like and locks them out of the house. This does not sound like a responsible babysitter.

I would take away everything she like ( volleyball, walking the dogs for money ect..) until she can straighten up. It is not fun for you to do so but she needs a wake up call that the world does not revolve around her. She needs to learn to treat her family better and if you don't make that happen your younger kids will suffer in the end from her mean behavior.

When I was her age I babysat my younger sister and I will tell you I NEVER pulled any of that stuff because if I even thought about it the belt would come out and I would learn my lesson.

I do NOT suggest you use a belt but I do suggest you make her quit all the things she likes to do until she can prove to you that she can act like a mature teenager. You tell her that only when YOU think she has shown improvement that she can earn those privileges back.

Just my opinion.... I have 4 boys and I know what you are going through, good luck.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
yes a belt leaves a terrible mark...I suggest a telephone book....keeps social services out of your house......just kidding I promise.......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
Has the 13 year old completed a baby-sitting course yet?
Done her first aid training (St. John's Ambulance here, don't know what you call it there)?

Is she really responsible enough to take care of others? Sounds like an adult baby-sitter in the home would be more appropriate, given her immature behaviour.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:15 pm
Sorry I have to add that I would set her bedtime at 9, no phone calls after 8pm, no working nothing. Make her earn those privileges.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:20 pm
Yup. <Nodding.> At the very least, I'll ask my friend's dd15 to come back over and babysit them all again, at lest when I'm working. It's just that sometimes she isn't available, and I usually need someone either right at the dinner hour, or else when I am going to the gym as soon as I put the little folks to bed, and they have better luck getting up when someone else is here... It's just hard to make time to get everything done, damn hard... <sigh> We did stop volleyball for a couple of weeks this year until she "got" that we, as a family, are a team and she is part of our team... However it didn't seem to be a lasting lesson... and some of the incidents I mention precede the "we are a team," pep talk... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:42 pm
I understand, I was a single parent for many years and it is hard but you have to take away everything that you can until she "gets" that you are a family and we work as a team and get along. She needs to treat her siblings with respect because to get respect you earn respect. If she is locking them out and forcing them to eat things they don't like then they will not respect her enough to listen to her or obey her.

I would find a sitter who will take drop in's whenever you need one. There are alot of teenagers who would love to make a few bucks watching your little ones for a few hours. I know it is hard to pay someone when you don't have enough money as it is but it is in your kid's best interest.
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:45 pm
First I would inform her that if she wants to act the way she is she will be treated like the little ones. Bedtime at 9pm, no volleyball, no working, no phone calls, no nothing until you are SURE she "GET's" the message. I would not give her ANY freedom what so ever until she straightens up. It is hard enough being a single parent, trying to do your best without having to put up with all the stuff you are. Again good luck!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
During my well-deserved bath, the penny dropped.

The Freudian Slip: reign/rein

She calls herself a princess.

Your on line name is "princesspupule".

I'm not a psychologist--just an English major--but you and your daughter are in a classic power struggle about just who is in charge in your house.

Believe it or not, she's saying that she wants you to be in charge. She doesn't want to babysit--and she's doing her damnedest to get you to replace her as a sitter.

She resents your absence in the evenings (aside from being stuck with babysitting your kids--and they are your kids).

She's bratty and bitchy and self-centered and unhappy. She wants more of her mother's time than she has right now. I grant you, she sounds very unloveable at the moment--but this is the time she most needs love.

Is she showing any signs of puberty besides the emotional turmoil? Hair? Breasts? Does she get her period? Is she fertile?

If she goes looking for love.....are you ready to be a grandmother?

Is there any chance that the two of you could go for counseling together? Single mothers need all the help they can get. A professional referee can accomplish more in an hour or so (or several months) than an emotionally involved mother can.

Stop competing on the Princess Level. Promote yourself to Queen, take charge and move a few mountains in your spare time.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:03 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
During my well-deserved bath, the penny dropped.

The Freudian Slip: reign/rein

She calls herself a princess.

Your on line name is "princesspupule".

I'm not a psychologist--just an English major--but you and your daughter are in a classic power struggle about just who is in charge in your house.

Believe it or not, she's saying that she wants you to be in charge. She doesn't want to babysit--and she's doing her damnedest to get you to replace her as a sitter.

She resents your absence in the evenings (aside from being stuck with babysitting your kids--and they are your kids).

She's bratty and bitchy and self-centered and unhappy. She wants more of her mother's time than she has right now. I grant you, she sounds very unloveable at the moment--but this is the time she most needs love.

Is she showing any signs of puberty besides the emotional turmoil? Hair? Breasts? Does she get her period? Is she fertile?

If she goes looking for love.....are you ready to be a grandmother?

Is there any chance that the two of you could go for counseling together? Single mothers need all the help they can get. A professional referee can accomplish more in an hour or so (or several months) than an emotionally involved mother can.

Stop competing on the Princess Level. Promote yourself to Queen, take charge and move a few mountains in your spare time.

Hold your dominion.

That's all good, Noddy, thanks Smile She is definitely a teenager, fully developed~ hair straightened for 8th grade~ popular, but a little too competitive to draw boys desire (apparently it's not so great to cream them in sports: their precious egos and all that Twisted Evil ) She is interested, but wary of boys as a species... (The phone call when she slammed the door inher sister's face was about a boy who dumped her friend for another girl at the fair over the weekend... Rolling Eyes) But she has agreed with me that she prefers the rule to remain that she doesn't date, mom said. (She apparently looks good to the 8th grade boys when she wears her pink skirt and tanks w/a flower behind her ear and newly straightened hair as she did the first few days of school... but that look was too hard to maintain, and after trying it out for a couple days, she was back in shorts and shirts she can play sports and run in.) She recently was allowed to go to a friend's house, but unbeknownst to me, the friend's mom was in Vegas, and the friend's older sister was driving the mother's car w/out permission or a license. She crashed it while my dd was watching. Shocked So the rules tightened back up about where you go and why... It has been a struggle this past year with her body changing and her hormones rushing... and mine, as I approach peri, rushing in the opposite direction... Embarrassed

I shall, most definitely, hold my dominion. (It's just a little bit harder when the domain begins running away from you and you don't just have to stand firmly holding it, kwim? Embarrassed ) My adult sons never treated the babies badly (dd13 and my girl who died were babies watched by my older ones- and they were, um... let's see, 10-> watching them 1st w/help, then on their own, just like dd was. Crying or Very sad I do remember having power struggles w/the boys, just different ones... I shall hold my dominion, I like that phrase. Laughing

Ok, now back to this stupid #%@%^&! accounting I am doing in college... another area where I need to hold onto dominion. Embarrassed
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:10 pm
Damn, you think Noddy can't get any smarter and then...

Good luck, PP!
0 Replies