Body Piercing

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:51 am
Ok, it's been 6 years since I got my belly button pierced. Never had any trouble with it and was pierced with a stainless steel bar. I just bought new jewelry and suddenly my piercing is irritated and red. Like I said, I never had a problem with the stainless steel jewelry. Is is possible to develop an allergy / sensitivity to it? Is it possible to get an infection on a long closed piercing? It isn't oozing or firey red or anything like that. Just a little sore and red around the top hole. Any suggestions? Should I remove it? And if I do remove it, will it grow shut? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,024 • Replies: 40
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:57 am
probably just got irritated.......get some sea salt and distilled water...make a solution...a tablespoon of salt to the gallon NO MORE!!!! And gently bathe the area with a q tip for a couple of days and see what happens......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:59 am
And if that doesn't help call me and I'll kiss the "owie" and make it better.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:00 am
when I first got pierced that is what I had to do...the sea salt and bactine. My hubby wants me to take it out but I don't want to yet. Not until I have kids...then I suppose I will have to Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:17 am
panzade wrote:
And if that doesn't help call me and I'll kiss the "owie" and make it better.

it doesn't really hurt... but thanks for the offer. Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:20 am
btw Kristie about the sperm tasting like chocolate thing......next time you talk to her see if she can make the vagina smell and taste like buffalo wings.........I'm not a sushi kind of guy.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:23 am
Why stop there Bear? Why not go for the Rib-Eye Steak flavor?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:26 am
panzade wrote:
Why stop there Bear? Why not go for the Rib-Eye Steak flavor?

lets don't forget when not pregnant the tequila lactating thing.......... :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:50 am
There are lots of possibilities. It could be an allergy to the new metal. It could be an infection from bacteria that was on the new thingy.

If I were you, I would remove the bar, and wash it in alcohol. Then I would clean the skin area, and coat it with a good triple antibiotic ointment. Then, replace the bar, or the hole just might close up!

If the area gets swollen or infected looking, take the damn thing out, and leave it out!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:51 am
Did you have the same stainless steel bar in for 6 years, Kristie. Did you keep it regularly rotated?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
ehBeth wrote:
Did you have the same stainless steel bar in for 6 years, Kristie. Did you keep it regularly rotated?

No, I have several pieces of jewelry. I usually have a bar in but I've rotated to a ring. I always clean my jewelry with alcohol when changing. I've never used anything other than stainless steel. I wonder if perhaps it got caught on something and I didn't know? That seems pretty improbable since it's attached to my body and you'd think I'd feel it.

I don't see an infection or anthing. Can't figure it out....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:14 am
is the new jewelrey some sort of tribal thing? Maybe you're being possessed by a demon....just a thought....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:17 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
is the new jewelrey some sort of tribal thing? Maybe you're being possessed by a demon....just a thought....

Oh my God!!! The devil has inhabited my belly button!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
It is possible that it's the particular metal composition of the new piece.

Maybe put one of the pieces you don't have problems back in - see what happens.

You don't necessarily have to take the jewel out when you're pregnant. Seems to be very body specific.
0 Replies

stoneylee

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
strange piercings
If the problem persists I would switch back to something that doesn't irritate the piercing so much. I have my naval pierced too and it's kinda picky about what goes in it. Anything that I've ever put in it besides this one ring that I had to switch to after I got it pierced has made it infected. My body is freaky about metal though. If you end up taking it out I wouldn't leave it out for more than 24 hours because it will most likely end up closing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
<jinx>

Very Happy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
Re: strange piercings
stoneylee wrote:
If you end up taking it out I wouldn't leave it out for more than 24 hours because it will most likely end up closing.

Will it really close? I thought that piercings that were done with a hollow needle (like navel) won't close.
0 Replies

stoneylee

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:44 pm
piercings
I am piercing master!!! Twisted Evil J/k.
I do have ALOT of piercings though and I have to take pretty much all of them out for work. Any time I've ever left my naval ring out for more than about 12 hours it has been a pain to get back in, and I've had it pierced for about 2 years. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure it would close back up if left out much longer than a few days. I'm only judging by one of my friends who ended up taking hers out when she got pregnant and from my own own experience. My friend's completely healed up within four days. I'm guessing that's about average, between 2 days to a week. To be sure I would call the place you got it done at or another piercing parlor though. That would be the best source of information for you.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:57 pm
Kristie,
Believe it or not the worse thing you can do if you think you might have an infection starting, is to remove the ring. If you do that the hole will close up and the infection will be trapped inside. At least now it has a drainage outlet.

Unlike ear piercings......naval piercings do close up rather quickly on some people.

I have my belly button pierced also. I have always only used rings or bars that are made of titanium. For cleaing I use saline.

I was playing tennis a couple years ago and a piece of thread on my outfit got wrapped around the ring. When I jumped up to wack the tennis ball it jerked on the ring and OMG Shocked

These things can get out of hand quickly. If it doesn't get better soon I would go to the doctor before an infection starts. Always better safe then sorry. Smile

~Brooke
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
I once dated a woman who got a bad infection from a piercing, erm, somewhere south of the belly button. It's always best to just see the doctor to find out what's going on.
0 Replies