Would you leave it if you didn't love it?

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 06:58 am
I was thinking about somethings that have been said here and elsewhere and I was wondering if there was anyone here who actually plans to leave the US if Bush is elected for four more years?

Comments would be appreciated.

I have said I wouold leave if Hillary was elected president, but that's just talk. I love America too much to be run off by a politician. Instead, I would invest more time and effort into seeing to it Hillary wouldn't be re-elected.

as for Bush, I think he is a better candidate than Kerry, not the best person for the job, but the best one running.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,109 • Replies: 49
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:04 am
I do know one limo driver in Kansas City who plans to leave the US regardless of who wins. He's just disgusted in general with what's going on. I have relatives who have been staunch Republicans all their lives who will grudgingly be voting for Kerry, but they won't leave if Bush is elected, they live pretty good lives. I suppose for some, the threat to leave is rhetoric, and for others, quite true. I think the fact that the statement even comes up is a sad reflection on how divided America has become.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:04 am
I was disappointed to read that Hillary causes such angst for you. I don't think anyone would emigrate this great country because of an election...much better as you said, to stay and work for change.

I think if this was Bush's first try for the presidency I would agree with your last statement, but having the last 4 years as evidence, I don't like the direction Dubya is pushing us...noo
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:11 am
I love this country, i always have, and i always will. And i will likely die in Canada, because that is where my heart is held captive by those whom i love.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:42 am
To be with those you love, one must sometimes give up the things we love.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:45 am
I have already moved to New Mexico, how much further do I need to go?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:53 am
Reading some of the comments on this forum over the past few months has also made me think of this question. Mine would have been a two-part question, though. Would you leave and if so, where would you go?

I've never said aloud that I'd leave if Hillary were to eventually be elected, but I've thought about it and then wondered where I could hang out. I'm not widely traveled, having only visited Australia (loved it), England (loved it) and France (no comment).

I suppose I could be happy in either Sydney or London, but I think I'd rather stay here (like McG) and work like heck to make sure the only time Hil is in the White House is as a visitor.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:16 am
I already made my move to Canada and I'm happy as hell :-D
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:38 am
Rick Mercer's Apology
This is Rick Mercer's apology to Americans:

March 04, 2003 Rick Mercer Apologizes to Americans
On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America.

We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.
I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we Feel your Pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this.

We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Thank you.

Rick Mercer

I felt the need to post a couple of responses to this piece of satire:

This e-mail came to me from a Canadian with the subject line; Are Canadians Wimps. A quite appropriate subject after reading your comments. To wich I replied;

Yes, because of the following reasons.

1. You have a Province that wants to secede from you and the country they emulate needed to be saved twice by America. That should tell ya something right off the bat.
2. 90% of you live next to the greatest country on the face of the earth so you can have a viable economy.
3. Because if you didn't have ice you'd have no idea of what the word Sport even means.
4. Don't talk about Hitler, who's standing back and watching now. Plus what army do you have to offer anyway?
5. You let every terrorist, criminal, and disease infested person from any country into yours just to fill your barren, frigid landscape with a warm body.
6. Last but not least you can't get over the fact America is better then you. Isn't it abouuuuuuuuut time you did?

By the way, no need to apologize we expect it from wimps. That's what they do best.

And...

We talked to canada about gettin their support on this fight to defeat terrorism. We asked the prime minister of canada if he could help , and he said if it was up to me i would help u in a heartbeat,,, by the way i like your chevy pickups u have in the states,,, but the last time i looked i did'nt have no army. And as far as the united states goes takin out a dictator like saddam hussaine, well someone has to do it cause we are the power of the world , and we know u canadians don't have the guts to stand up for what is right. You ppl would rather sit back and have the easy life , u are just about as bad as france and germany , u want everything handed to u on a silver platter. Why do u think our dollar is with double what yours is? Cause u have **** for an economy . If u want to put down the United States of America u better think about who you are talkin about , or u might be the next country we take down , the only difference is when we take down your country , we are gonna keep it , not give it back like we are doin for iraq. So when u dumbasses up in canada grow up , write me back. No wait , when u get a military up there in canada write me back and then we can talk u dumbasses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can probably tell by the writing style that these responses were not from the same person.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:42 am
The Good Stuff Cav Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
I'm not sure if I'd leave just because Bush got re-elected. But I would surely leave it if I ceased loving it. Where to go? Probably a European country -- Italy, Spain, or France. Canada is too cold.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
You might be surprised to know that Vancouver weather is milder than that of Virginia. It hardly ever snows there...just a lot of rain.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
I had heard that before, but even lots of rain is a downer for me. I am psychologically very sensitive to the weather -- long winters and cloudy days cause depression for me. I need a lot of sunshine.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
Vancouver does get a lot of rain, but, in the summer, it is possible on a good day to ski and surf.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:51 am
Or kayak...go fishing...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:53 am
Well Duck forget Italy and England then. Winters are cold and rainy and summers speed by in the blink of an eye.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:55 am
It was like that when I was in Ireland. The weather changed on the turn of a dime.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:32 am
Re: Would you leave it if you didn't love it?
McGentrix wrote:
I have said I wouold leave if Hillary was elected president, but that's just talk. I love America too much to be run off by a politician. Instead, I would invest more time and effort into seeing to it Hillary wouldn't be re-elected.

Should Bush win, I intend to do much the same.

Put energy into working towards (re)building the Democrats Core, (MoveOn, etc), and building a coalition of those who fall outside the "Flock". (AfAms, Women, Gays, etc).

How I'll do this. . . .

Just wait Twisted Evil
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:33 am
panzade wrote:
Well Duck forget Italy and England then. Winters are cold and rainy and summers speed by in the blink of an eye.

Italy is cold in the mountains but they get lots of sunshine. The winters are only long in the north. England was never on my list... already know what the weather is like there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:05 am
The nation survived the Civil War. It can survive an idiot for another four years.
0 Replies