Baby's Father Cheated multiple times

KMommy

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 11:12 am
My sons father cheated over 5 times he cheated the whole time I was pregnant I we have been together for 5 years and I love him he said that he loves me and he wants me and only me. He said he did it because I'm mean to him and I don't show him affection. I know I am not the blame he is. I want it to work but can't take being cheated on again. Trust is broken I want to give it a last shot for my sons sake but I can't seem to get over all the pain he has caused me. Can a cheater really change? What should I do ?

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 11:39 am
@KMommy,
You need couples therapy. Try to get him to go or, if he won't, go alone.

Get some tools for how to deal with this, including figuring out if you want to stay at all.
KMommy

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 12:31 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for the reply.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 02:22 am
@KMommy,
Quote:
Can a cheater really change?
They can, but they need to want to do it (change) for themselves, because they wish to be a better person...and they can't do it for themself while they blame you.

Also, be aware that what they need to change is their character / beliefs / values etc...whatever it is that allowed them to justify to themselves:
- putting themself in a position to be tempted
- their initial cheating
- all the subsequent cheating...

This is very difficult to do - because they will have justified to themselves why it was okay. And that justification doesn't go away just because they say 'they won't do it'...it just sits there waiting until it's triggered again...unless they admit why that justification was a fabrication, why it was dishonest, etc.

Given the above, it's very little wonder that very few people ever cheat just the once.

Sometimes couples therapy can lead down the right path.

The last thing I would add is, the majority of people have cheated in their their lives (last figure I remember was 60%, but that was over a decade ago)
0 Replies