GOP Mailing Warns Liberals Will Ban Bibles

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:40 pm
Edgar
Grand Old Party Guarding Our Peers from the unwashed masses.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 06:40 am
Guess we will have to find the answer ourselves.

oh well.

btw-funny answers.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 09:19 am
revel Grand Old Party truly is the correct definition...no kidding.....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 10:28 am
Grand Old Party is correct, revel.

Trust me; I'm a conservative.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 11:08 am
Yeah, when a liberal and a conservative gives the same answer, you can generally believe it.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:43 pm
oh, I feel more silly than usual. Embarrassed But "Grand Ole Party" this is interesting, I wonder when they started calling it that and why?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:48 pm
origin of GOP
Origin of "GOP"

A favorite of headline writers, GOP dates back to the 1870s and '80s. The abbreviation was cited in a New York Herald story on October 15, 1884; "' The G.O.P. Doomed,' shouted the Boston Post.... The Grand Old Party is in condition to inquire...."

But what GOP stands for has changed with the times. In 1875 there was a citation in the Congressional Record referring to "this gallant old party," and , according to Harper's Weekly, in the Cincinnati Commercial in 1876 to "Grand Old Party."

Perhaps the use of "the G.O.M." for Britain's Prime Minister William E. Gladstone in 1882 as " the Grand Old Man" stimulated the use of GOP in the United States soon after.

In early motorcar days, GOP took on the term "get out and push." During the 1964 presidential campaign, "Go-Party" was used briefly, and during the Nixon Administration, frequent references to the "generation of peace" had happy overtones. In line with moves in the '70s to modernize the party, Republican leaders took to referring to the "grand old party," harkening back to a 1971 speech by President Nixon at the dedication of the Eisenhower Republican Center in Washington, D.C.

Indeed, the "grand old party" is an ironic term, since the Democrat Party was organized some 22 years earlier in 1832.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 01:28 pm
I had read, and long enough ago to forget where, that the GOP was inspired by the GAR. The veterans organization of the Federal armies from the Civil War was the Grand Army of the Republic, and more or less equated with the modern American Legion. Associating the Grand Old Party with the Grand Army of the Republic made political sense.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
It's difficult to understand how the Republican Party could ever have been called "Grand", unless you realize just how much it has changed and just how extreme the current "GOP" right-wingers really are.

We're Not in Lake Wobegon Anymore
By Garrison Keillor

Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once, it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all ships. They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier elements of their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat Earthers and Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element. The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day, who made it OK for reasonable people to vote Republican. He brought the Korean War to a stalemate, produced the Interstate Highway System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity, in which (oddly) American arts and letters flourished and higher education burgeoned-and there was a degree of plain decency in the country. Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today's. Richard Nixon was the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward the poor.

In the years between Nixon and Newt Gingrich, the party migrated southward down the Twisting Trail of Rhetoric and sneered at the idea of public service and became the Scourge of Liberalism, the Great Crusade Against the Sixties, the Death Star of Government, a gang of pirates that diverted and fascinated the media by their sheer chutzpah, such as the misty-eyed flag-waving of Ronald Reagan who, while George McGovern flew bombers in World War II, took a pass and made training films in Long Beach. The Nixon moderate vanished like the passenger pigeon, purged by a legion of angry white men who rose to power on pure punk politics. "Bipartisanship is another term of date rape," says Grover Norquist, the Sid Vicious of the GOP. "I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub." The boy has Oedipal problems and government is his daddy.

The party of Lincoln and Liberty was transmogrified into the party of hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists, fundamentalist bullies with Bibles, Christians of convenience, freelance racists, misanthropic frat boys, shrieking midgets of AM radio, tax cheats, nihilists in golf pants, brownshirts in pinstripes, sweatshop tycoons, hacks, fakirs, aggressive dorks, Lamborghini libertarians, people who believe Neil Armstrong's moonwalk was filmed in Roswell, New Mexico, little honkers out to diminish the rest of us, Newt's evil spawn and their Etch-A-Sketch president, a dull and rigid man suspicious of the free flow of information and of secular institutions, whose philosophy is a jumble of badly sutured body parts trying to walk. Republicans: The No.1 reason the rest of the world thinks we're deaf, dumb and dangerous.

Rich ironies abound! Lies pop up like toadstools in the forest! Wild swine crowd round the public trough! Outrageous gerrymandering! Pocket lining on a massive scale! Paid lobbyists sit in committee rooms and write legislation to alleviate the suffering of billionaires! Hypocrisies shine like cat turds in the moonlight! O Mark Twain, where art thou at this hour? Arise and behold the Gilded Age reincarnated gaudier than ever, upholding great wealth as the sure sign of Divine Grace.

Here in 2004, George W. Bush is running for reelection on a platform of tragedy-the single greatest failure of national defense in our history, the attacks of 9/11 in which 19 men with box cutters put this nation into a tailspin, a failure the details of which the White House fought to keep secret even as it ran the country into hock up to the hubcaps, thanks to generous tax cuts for the well-fixed, hoping to lead us into a box canyon of debt that will render government impotent, even as we engage in a war against a small country that was undertaken for the president's personal satisfaction but sold to the American public on the basis of brazen misinformation, a war whose purpose is to distract us from an enormous transfer of wealth taking place in this country, flowing upward, and the deception is working beautifully.

The concentration of wealth and power in the hands of the few is the death knell of democracy. No republic in the history of humanity has survived this. The election of 2004 will say something about what happens to ours. The omens are not good.

Our beloved land has been fogged with fear-fear, the greatest political strategy ever. An ominous silence, distant sirens, a drumbeat of whispered warnings and alarms to keep the public uneasy and silence the opposition. And in a time of vague fear, you can appoint bullet-brained judges, strip the bark off the Constitution, eviscerate federal regulatory agencies, bring public education to a standstill, stupefy the press, lavish gorgeous tax breaks on the rich.

There is a stink drifting through this election year. It isn't the Florida recount or the Supreme Court decision. No, it's 9/11 that we keep coming back to. It wasn't the "end of innocence," or a turning point in our history, or a cosmic occurrence, it was an event, a lapse of security. And patriotism shouldn't prevent people from asking hard questions of the man who was purportedly in charge of national security at the time.
Whenever I think of those New Yorkers hurrying along Park Place or getting off the No.1 Broadway local, hustling toward their office on the 90th floor, the morning paper under their arms, I think of that non-reader George W. Bush and how he hopes to exploit those people with a little economic uptick, maybe the capture of Osama, cruise to victory in November and proceed to get some serious nation-changing done in his second term.

This year, as in the past, Republicans will portray us Democrats as embittered academics, desiccated Unitarians, whacked-out hippies and communards, people who talk to telephone poles, the party of the Deadheads. They will wave enormous flags and wow over and over the footage of firemen in the wreckage of the World Trade Center and bodies being carried out and they will lie about their economic policies with astonishing enthusiasm.

The Union is what needs defending this year. Government of Enron and by Halliburton and for the Southern Baptists is not the same as what Lincoln spoke of. This gang of Pithecanthropus Republicanii has humbugged us to death on terrorism and tax cuts for the comfy and school prayer and flag burning and claimed the right to know what books we read and to dump their sewage upstream from the town and clear-cut the forests and gut the IRS and mark up the constitution on behalf of intolerance and promote the corporate takeover of the public airwaves and to hell with anybody who opposes them.

This is a great country, and it wasn't made so by angry people. We have a sacred duty to bequeath it to our grandchildren in better shape than however we found it. We have a long way to go and we're not getting any younger.

Dante said that the hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in time of crisis remain neutral, so I have spoken my piece, and thank you, dear reader. It's a beautiful world, rain or shine, and there is more to life than winning.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/979
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:11 am
Liberals want everyone to be athiests. They follow Hitlers teachings.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:34 am
John Kerry wrote:

I would so like to see a link to back up that particular claim.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:18 am
I scroll such posts, Cav.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
John Kerry wrote:

and we're all gay too, don't forget that. When Kerry wins the election you're first on our list. We're going to video it and put it on the web site. We have a gay atheist nazi liberal democrat web site you know, but you can't access it because you don't know the secret handshake. Guiness Book stuff....worlds longest gay gang rape.......be afraid, be very afraid.....or perhaps somehow vaguely excited..... Rolling Eyes Laughing

All in fun there buddy we like ya, come sit at our table for lunch.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:51 am
I demand a job in indoctrination . . . i just know i have a flair for it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:54 am
Is there an actual Liberal party in the U.S.? not liberal - a party called The Liberal Party.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:57 am
Not to my knowledge, but then, there are those who claim there is a Libertarian Party, so i never underrate the potential for self-delusion.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:00 am
there is only the party...no one wants it to be over...so we keep electing idiots who promise to keep it going......we're down to that last half a Miller Lite with the cigarette butt floating in it though......
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:11 am
a party?...errr...who's throwin a party?
0 Replies

angie

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
BPB wrote : "We have a gay atheist nazi liberal democrat web site you know".

It's not "nazi" at all. That would make it unpleasant.

Besides, I think the nazis have all morphed onto neocon fundamentalists.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:18 pm
If we can kip the bible thumpers from sending their kids off to public schools without that tome full of obscenity, we will indeed have accomplished something.

When you consider how the Bible is a story filled with Adultery polygamy, lies, murder and delusional hallucinations you'd see that public school is not the proper forum for it until you get to college lever comparitive religion courses.

Until then I'd keep the sucker at home and not let the kids read it without supervision.

If you're a republican and you wake up in the morning feeling powerless with your beard gone and your hair all shaved off, blame the Bible!
0 Replies