GOP Mailing Warns Liberals Will Ban Bibles

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:16 pm
GOP Mailing Warns Liberals Will Ban Bibles
Fri Sep 17, 7:22 PM ET
By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Campaign mail with a return address of the Republican National Committee warns West Virginia voters that the Bible will be prohibited and men will marry men if liberals win in November.

The literature shows a Bible with the word "BANNED" across it and a photo of a man, on his knees, placing a ring on the hand of another man with the word "ALLOWED." The mailing tells West Virginians to "vote Republican to protect our families" and defeat the "liberal agenda."

Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie said Friday that he wasn't aware of the mailing, but said it could be the work of the RNC. "It wouldn't surprise me if we were mailing voters on the issue of same-sex marriage," Gillespie said.

The flier says Republicans have passed laws protecting life, support defining marriage as between a man and a woman and will nominate conservative judges who will "interpret the law and not legislate from the bench."

"The liberal agenda includes removing `under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance," it says.

It does not mention the names of the presidential candidates.

Jim Jordan, a spokesman for American Coming Together, described the mailing as "standard-issue Republican hate-mongering."

Gillespie said same-sex marriage is a legitimate issue in the election. President Bush has proposed amending the Constitution to ban gay marriage. Democratic Sen. John Kerry also opposes gay marriage but said a constitutional amendment is going too far.

The RNC also is running radio ads in several states urging people to register to vote.

"There is a line drawn in America today," one ad says. "On one side are the radicals trying to uproot our traditional values and our culture. They're fighting to hijack the institution of marriage, plotting to legalize partial birth abortion, and working to take God out of the pledge of allegiance and force the worst of Hollywood on the rest of America."

"Are you on their side of the line?" the ad asks before making the plea to "support conservative Republican candidates."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,969 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:24 pm
"When they outlaw bibles, only outlaws will have bibles".
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:48 pm
Thank you for all this "leading edge" stuff Mr. Bee. We sure are watching out for those mean old Republicans with your help.
Let's see Mr. Bee? Aren't you a closet Administrator too?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 11:55 pm
Paranoia runs deep
Into your life it will creep
Starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the Man comes
And takes you away . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 12:22 am
Qualis rex, talis grex.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 12:31 am
I would remove "under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance. Dang, it feels so neat to be such a liberal, after all this time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 01:44 am
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 02:54 am
Chuckster
Chuckster:

Scroll

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 03:36 am
OK, I've finally gotta ask: Why is the Republican National Committee called "GOP"? Confused For ages & ages I kept seeing all these GOP threads on A2K & wondered what it meant & felt I'd be considered very ignorant if I asked. Embarrassed Obviously to do with the Republican Party, but what do the letters actually stand for?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 04:22 am
Grand Ole Party!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
The way I see it anyone who believes that crap was going to vote for Bush anyway so they are merely preaching to the choir.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:44 am
I think it's a grand Idea. Religion should be illegal It's evil. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:59 am
msolga wrote:
OK, I've finally gotta ask: Why is the Republican National Committee called "GOP"? Confused For ages & ages I kept seeing all these GOP threads on A2K & wondered what it meant & felt I'd be considered very ignorant if I asked. Embarrassed Obviously to do with the Republican Party, but what do the letters actually stand for?

Grumpy Old Pricks.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:00 am
Grandiose Opinionated Partisans
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:03 am
Georges' Orifice Puckerers
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:27 am
BBB
"Guard our Peers" from the unwashed masses.

BBB
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:28 am
A2K's motto:

ASK THE EXPERTS!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 11:31 am
ouch ooch oof boo hoo.... Laughing
0 Replies

revel