Past Tense Question for "To Camera"

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:08 pm
This is kind of an obscure question, but my coworker was writing an email earlier and didn't know the past tense of a plumbing term. Sometimes in plumbing they have to put a camera down a pipe to see what is going on, and this is called "to camera a line". So what is the past tense of this? In speech, we'd say, "he camera'd the line". Is this the correct spelling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 16,861 • Replies: 43

Below viewing threshold (view)
rachaelnicolle

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:14 pm
@dalehileman,
I actually did use google first, but because I couldn't find an answer, or even the usage of the word camera as "to camera", I thought maybe it would be okay to post my question on a grammar forum? You know, seeing as it is a grammar question and all.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:24 pm
@rachaelnicolle,
Hi rachaelnicolle.

You did the right thing, looking for an answer at a site that helps/tries to help people with English grammar questions (among other things).

__

I suspect that your company's use of "to camera" is regional jargon. I work in an industry that uses contractors who put cameras down plumbing pipes. We refer to it as scoping, so in the context of your question, we'd say that the plumbing had been scoped.

If 'the people that are being emailed know the camera format, you could say that the plumber had used a camera to scope the drains.
rachaelnicolle

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks! I'm sure it is regional. We don't camera the lines ourselves, simply hire out other people when it needs to be done, so I don't come across the past tense very often.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:32 pm
@rachaelnicolle,
I see scoped used on a lot of property claim reports. That seems to be the North American standard.

__

edit : just asked a property claims guy - he says people will understand scoped/scoping/scope. He's not familiar with camera as a verb in a plumbing context.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Hey, now I learned something new, re cameras and pipes (though I should have known that, and maybe did but didn't retain it), and re another use for the word 'scoping'. Mmm, easier to say than "I camera'd the pipe".

Sounds a bit like heart surgery..
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:48 pm
@rachaelnicolle,
I believe that would be the correct spelling indicating the camera possessed the line. He camera'd the line.

Like a baker's dozen.

Some use camera-ed
contrex

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:49 pm
You get a lot of nouns being forced to do the job of verbs these days (maybe they always have been) respectable older examples include parts of the body becoming verbs of action - shoulder, elbow, hand, eye, nose etc - I shouldered the blame, he elbowed me out of the way, she handed me a drink, John eyed me doubtfully, Peter nosed around the empty house. As you can see, the past participle is formed using -ed so for that reason I would definitely not use an apostrophe as in camera'd but rather use cameraed. Even better use an already accepted word such as has been already suggested.
contrex

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:53 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
I believe that would be the correct spelling indicating the camera possessed the line. He camera'd the line.

Nonsense. Apostophes either indicate possession when followed or preceded by an s (and only an s), or indicate missing letters or numbers. The only reason for an apostrophe in camera'd would be to indicate a missing letter (an e? Why omit it anyhow?)

0 Replies

rachaelnicolle

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:55 pm
@contrex,
That's actually what we were debating, if it should be "camera'd" or "cameraed". Both just looked wrong to me so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
contrex

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 01:56 pm
Well, somebody didn't like my answer, which I stand by all the same.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:03 pm
@contrex,
the missing letter is e

cameraed

camera'd
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:04 pm
@TheCobbler,
That's really bad advice.
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:11 pm
@ehBeth,
That is the way I would spell it.

It looks wrong but I think it is right. Smile

camera'd

It works two ways as a possessive noun and by omitting the e.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:17 pm
@rachaelnicolle,
I think your instinct was good. They both looked wrong ... because they were Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:24 pm
@TheCobbler,
Read contrex's reply to understand why camera'd doesn't work.
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Contrex uses the example eye and eyed and eyed "drops the e"
or else it would be eyeed. But eyed does not have an apostrophe because it is a verb and not possessive.

With the a at the end of the word camera the e would also be dropped.

Because it is possessive and a letter is dropped an apostrophe would be added.

Eyed a letter is dropped but it is not possessive.

Camera is possessive so it is not camerad (like eyed) but camera'd
rachaelnicolle

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 02:55 pm
@rachaelnicolle,
Haha had no idea I'd get so many replies to this. Thanks guys! Very interesting to see every ones thoughts.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:53 pm
@rachaelnicolle,
Quote:
had no idea
Me nuther, Rach. I'm amazed at the kinds of response provided herezbout