Is this comma splice? Is it proper?

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:31 am
"This is not just suspicion, this is intent, and that's why the police and security agencies decided to act in the way they have," Abbott said.

The sentence above comes from an article put out by NBC News. I initially thought this was an obvious comma splice. There are two independent clauses, "this is not just suspicion" and "this is intent," separated by a comma. I'm confused, though, because I imagine a professional writer or editor would easily spot this. Perhaps "this is intent" is being counted as a parenthesis, but can a parenthesis be an independent clause? I understand some writers intentionally violate the comma splice rule in order to make their words flow better, but this isn't creative writing. If you were a college English professor who teaches essay writing, would you approve of the sentence? Why or why not?

Something worth mentioning, the original article was produced by the Associated Press. In that article, there is one less comma in the sentence. NBC News, along with several other news sources, added in the comma after intent. I don't know why. It still looks like a comma splice either way. Can someone please explain what they think is going on? Thank you.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 06:46 am
@DaveCoop,
"This is intent" looks like a parenthetical to me. (Without seeing the entire sentence in context, the sentence sounds like a sentence fragment.)

In any case, the sentence seem clumsy as written and might have sounded better if written:

Abbott said, "This is intent not just suspicion, and that is why the police and security agencies decided to act in the way they have."

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2014 04:19 pm
I don't see the problem with the structure.

This is not just any red, it's orange red, and that's the color I want.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 11:10 am
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
I don't see the problem with the structure.
Punk I don't either

Incidentally the comma is often used to insert a slight pause even though not required technically
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:28 pm
@DaveCoop,

Quote:
NBC News, along with several other news sources, added in the comma after intent. I don't know why

With the comma it's a normal construction.
Using parenthesis would be clumsy, although without loss of meaning or clarity.

I'm sure, I'm very sure, that you're barking up the wrong tree.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 06:27 am
@DaveCoop,
Yes, but it is so common that nobody complains. It is a quotation, so it is more important to quote the statement exactly as it was recorded, mistakes and all. Here it is with the comma splice eliminated:

"This is not just suspicion, this is intent. That's why the police and security agencies decided to act in the way they have." The first comma is not a splice because the phrase is not complete by itself.
0 Replies