McGentrix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:42 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I know batter, and that's not it.

Laughing oops.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
Welcome, Neue, to the new (and hopefully more civil) able2know.com. Spam free so far. Yippee!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I know batter, and that's not it.

Laughing oops.
Laughing sorry, i couldn't resist.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
Hey, I know batter, too:

A smooth, thin creamy mixture traditionally made from flour, milk, eggs and water or other ingredients such as beer and flour. Batters sometimes have extra sweet or savoury flavouring ingredients added such as sugar, lemon or orange rind, crushed peppercorns or chopped chillies.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 01:55 pm
I agree with you bbb, it is not fair to the American people to have bush stick around and clean up his own messes. If the bushies (the whole bush administration including ashcroft and rumsfeild) lived in a country all by themselves, I would say, you bet, they should have to live in the bed they made. That would be like the old south without slaves though.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:45 pm
I miss Bill Maher being on tv. His show Politically Incorrect was to short...
and short-lived.

I think he made some excellent points last night on Larry King.

1) The republicans play the game better than the democrats.

Basically what he was talking about was how they turned what Kerry thought was his greatest strength (I'm a war hero) against him. The phrase I think he used was "they could make you believe black is white".

2) Another point he made that I thought was interesting was about gay marriage and how the left tries to move to the center on the issue.

Paraphrasing what Maher said "If you ask a republican if they are for or against gay marriage -- they reply... We are against gay marriage because we believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a woman". You may not like that answer -- but you know where they stand because they send a clear message.

If you ask a democrat the same question (and lets not forget their party line also opposes gay marriage) the reply goes something like this....
We favor civil unions for same sex couples.

Semantics folks. Marriage and civil unions are the same thing. And please don't anyone try to educate me on the finer details of the differences between the two. It would just be an academic exercise, not reality.

If you favor gay marriage have the cojones to say you favor gay marriage and don't move to the center on the issue and hide behind the skirt of civil unions. Stand up for what you think is right so the public can see the distinction between the two parties.

3) Another one was just plain funny. Maher was asked by a caller "Do you see any difference between Vietnam and the Iraqi War ?" And Maher replied... "Yes, in Vietnam George Bush had an exit strategy"! Laughing
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
Quote:
Semantics folks. Marriage and civil unions are the same thing. And please don't anyone try to educate me on the finer details of the differences between the two. It would just be an academic exercise, not reality.

It may be the same, but to the majority on either the right or the left, there will always be political differences that negate reality. And you're right in that the Democrats are having a much tougher time with the issue, largely because they have to cater to a LARGE religious block of voters as well as the majority of the progressive left who are endlessly fighting for equality like gay marriage.

Living in San Francisco, I greatly admired what our mayor did in putting this in the major spotlight, but in hindsight, it may have caused some political damage for Democrats who are trying to hone their message for the greater electorate.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 02:58 pm
CerealKiller:

Bill's show "Real Time" on HBO is just as brilliant, and without the constraints of a network keeping the language clean.

Further on your latest post: It also seems that Bush could care less about the gay vote at this point, as he sees more votes coming from the religious right than such groups as the Log Cabin Republicans, who have decided not to endorse Bush this year.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

It may be the same, but to the majority on either the right or the left, there will always be political differences that negate reality. And you're right in that the Democrats are having a much tougher time with the issue, largely because they have to cater to a LARGE religious block of voters as well as the majority of the progressive left who are endlessly fighting for equality like gay marriage.

Living in San Francisco, I greatly admired what our mayor did in putting this in the major spotlight, but in hindsight, it may have caused some political damage for Democrats who are trying to hone their message for the greater electorate.

Cow towing to voters is a big mistake in my book. Makes them look weak and wishy-washy. Be who you are and let the chips fall where they may.

I admire and respect people who stand up for what they think is right -- even when I don't agree with them -- as I'm sure you do. I have little respect for those who make their decisions by which way the wind happens to be blowing.

I like the phrase ex-Nbaer Spencer Haywood once said "Stand up for something, or you will fall for anything".
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 03:11 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
CerealKiller:

Bill's show "Real Time" on HBO is just as brilliant, and without the constraints of a network keeping the language clean.

Further on your latest post: It also seems that Bush could care less about the gay vote at this point, as he sees more votes coming from the religious right than such groups as the Log Cabin Republicans, who have decided not to endorse Bush this year.

Thanks for the heads up. Now all I need to do is make friends with someone who has HBO. Laughing

Ralph Nader said it best describing George Bush -- "George Bush is a giant corporation masquerading as a human being". I couldn't agree more. :wink:
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 03:15 pm
Quote:
I admire and respect people who stand up for what they think is right -- even when I don't agree with them -- as I'm sure you do. I have little respect for those who make their decisions by which way the wind happens to be blowing.

So do I, CerealKiller, so do I. Unfortunately, you just can't play that game in absolute purity when one is up against the Bush regime. Kerry is going to have to show some cajones in the final stretch while remaing firmly on message and trying to maintain as much of the high ground as he possibly can.

But the gloves have GOT to come off.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
Maher's Real Time is much better than PI -- there's no drawn punches on the satire and the interviews are dynamite.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
I like his political views and I agree with him about the large majority of the democrat being wishy washy about the gay marriage thing. Saying your for civil unions with all the benifits of straight couples is still short of saying you think gay people should have the same rights as straight people.

But I don't like his views on religion or marriage in general and more often than not I find him to be a bit of a smart elect.

I am glad that he found a spot on HBO, now if maybe the dixie chicks can find a spot to perform. Maybe when Linda Rhonstat goes back to that place in Vegas she can invite the dixie chicks along with Micheal Moore and Mahor can host. And any other outscast performers can join in for a live show protest against Bush like thing right before the election. (too much?)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:05 pm
Several female guests including Arianna Huffington have tried to be convincing about the attributes of marriage but Bill just sloughs it off as amusing. He does give organized religion a tough time but who's to say it doesn't deserve it. Organized religion is rather of an oxymoron.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:33 pm
I wouldn't call Linda Ronstadt an "outcast performer."

Linda does such a good cover of You're no Good she could be a secret weapon. She and Michael Moore could do well to get on more radical diet.

Bill Maher is primarily a Comic like Dennis Miller. Too bad Miller couldn't have stayed a comic instead of become a serious neo con.

But TV is not where anyone with any sensibilities turns for accurate information. It is important to watch it to learn how they are taking advantage of the average brainwashable sports fan.

The parallels to the Viet Nam era are frightening. At least we can't say that we have no experience with learning that your government can kill you.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:42 am
padmasambava wrote:
I wouldn't call Linda Ronstadt an "outcast performer."

Linda does such a good cover of You're no Good she could be a secret weapon. She and Michael Moore could do well to get on more radical diet.

Bill Maher is primarily a Comic like Dennis Miller. Too bad Miller couldn't have stayed a comic instead of become a serious neo con.

But TV is not where anyone with any sensibilities turns for accurate information. It is important to watch it to learn how they are taking advantage of the average brainwashable sports fan.

The parallels to the Viet Nam era are frightening. At least we can't say that we have no experience with learning that your government can kill you.

I meant "outcast" as in ticking off the Bush people and supporters.

I know what you mean by not getting what you need by the TV. I have really scaled down watching the news on TV on any channel and have just basically gotten my news on the internet and newspapers.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:45 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Several female guests including Arianna Huffington have tried to be convincing about the attributes of marriage but Bill just sloughs it off as amusing. He does give organized religion a tough time but who's to say it doesn't deserve it. Organized religion is rather of an oxymoron.

I know Bill Mahar shrugging off things as amusing is what I meant by being a smart elect. I never could deal with people like that myself.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:13 am
Who elected him to be smart?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
Why would anyone expect Bush if elected to clean up the mess he has made? IMO he will just dig the hole we are in deeper.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:26 am
au1929
au1929, I think that is Mahar's point. That Bush is not capable of cleaning up his own mess and even Poppy and his friends cannot fix the disaster his inept son has created.

Bush will be discredited and taint his deserved incompetent ideologue reputation for all of history history.

BBB
0 Replies