Choose one painting for your wall ...

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:44 am
If you're talking about the etching "Don Quixote" it's highly suspect as to authenticity like the other Picasso image discussed on these boards. It was being sold along with Chagall's and Dali's in the art telemarketing scheme of the 1980's. Most of those people went to federal prisons. The sad thing is that it is extremely difficult to get these things authenticated. One might find an appraiser to place a value on it and give a verbal authentication but they won't sign a document.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:46 am
Austin Galleries which was a small chain, BTW, also was showing some of this stuff along with the small Southern California chain "The Upstairs Gallery." Mr. Austin was prosecuted for selling fakes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:20 am
Michael Jackson sodomizing Rush Limbaugh while Elvis looks on from heaven......on black velvet of course...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 09:24 am
No, not the etching, the original painting, LW.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:14 am
Olga, Unbeknownst to you, this thread has given me fits. I don't hold you personally responsible, but lots of things that I should have been doing haven't gotten done because I've spent so much time trying to post here. Sigh.

I thought about my favorite paintings. Most of them (like the Rembrandt self-portrait at the Frick Collection) are not the kinds of things I'd like to hang on my walls. For instance, the Rembrandt is too intense.

Then I thought I'd show one of the paintings that's actually hanging on my wall. It's a print I got from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston (or some other museum in Boston). The problem here is that I don't know the title of the painting or the artist. I bought it from a catalog, and I guess I didn't pay attention. It's a lovely water color (I think it's a water color) of three reddish horses romping on a hill. I went to the MFA site and got dizzy going around in circles trying to find the painting. This took me well over an hour and yielded bupkis.

Then I thought I'd try to show another image of something else hanging on my wall. This time I have the artist and the year the serigraph was made. I didn't get dizzy this time. Just frustrated. Couldn't find it. It appears to be images cut out of solid blocks of colors. There's a black grand piano with black and white keys showing. A green fern and a yellow dish are on top of the piano, as is the side view of a black cat. I love its simplicity and the boldness of the images.

Then I thought I'd select one of my favorite paintings that's hanging in the Metropolitan Museum, just a few blocks from my apartment. I know the artist--El Greco. And the title of the painting--View of Toledo. I love the shapes, the colors, and the drama of the sky. I found an image of this painting easily enough, but I tried three times to post it here and failed each time.

Another of my favorite paintings I wouldn't mind hanging on my wall is Van Gogh's Irises. I'm not going to try to post it. Why create more aggravation for myself. The Sistine Chapel has its charms, but my ceilings aren't high enough.

So your wonderful thread (and this is a wonderful thread) is making me a noivous wreck. As I said before, I don't hold you personally responsible. Sigh. Can't say I didn't try.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:17 am
I do not believe there was ever a painting in oils or any other medium of the image. This is the image of the prints that has been offered in the past (and even now, but not trying to pass it off as original) as an etching, a woodblock, a screenprint -- you name it:

http://www.globalgallery.com/enlarge/007-14571/

Either your client has one of the prints and is calling it a painting (not so isolated as you might believe) or they likely have a fake.

This is without much time spent on research, referencing the several authorities on Picasso, and if your clients are bonefide and knowledgable collectors then they may know something I don't.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:40 am
For Roberta:

http://sci.esa.int/science-e-media/img/30/i_screenimage_25392.jpg

here you are Roberta, lovely choice - I think I saw the original in an El Greco exhibition last year Very Happy
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 12:38 pm
I love El Greco, but I always find his stuff just a little unsettling.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:31 pm
It does kinda look like the inquisition is just now setting up interview rooms.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
...I wasn't expecting that...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
<wait for it, wait for it>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:47 pm
Those things happen when you least expect it.

Today, it would be a view of Washington DC with Ashcroft setting up rooms.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:44 pm
How mannerist of you..

GWL, do you still have my email addy? I can't pm you, and would like to talk about that picasso..
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 02:14 am
Vivien, Thanks mucho for the View of Toledo. I was a teenager the first time I saw that painting. I still admire it for it's color, shapes, and drama.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 04:34 pm
What I love most of the El Greco is its LIFE, the rhythms and movements give it a vitality that is phenomenal. Has anyone ever painted a sky so beautiful?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
JL, Yes, the painting is alive. And someone somewhere may have painted as glorious a sky, but I don't know who. Glad you share my enthusiasm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:29 pm
Speaking of skies, I see there is a show in NYC of Constable sky studies, which are small, like 6 x 10 inches, fairly loose in painting technique and very lively. It's at a gallery I noticed on my radar but didn't get to. Forget the name right now, will be back with it. I'd love to see those..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:38 pm
Roberta wrote:
Olga, Unbeknownst to you, this thread has given me fits. I don't hold you personally responsible, but lots of things that I should have been doing haven't gotten done because I've spent so much time trying to post here. Sigh.

I thought about my favorite paintings. Most of them (like the Rembrandt self-portrait at the Frick Collection) are not the kinds of things I'd like to hang on my walls. For instance, the Rembrandt is too intense.

Then I thought I'd show one of the paintings that's actually hanging on my wall. It's a print I got from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston (or some other museum in Boston). The problem here is that I don't know the title of the painting or the artist. I bought it from a catalog, and I guess I didn't pay attention. It's a lovely water color (I think it's a water color) of three reddish horses romping on a hill. I went to the MFA site and got dizzy going around in circles trying to find the painting. This took me well over an hour and yielded bupkis.

Then I thought I'd try to show another image of something else hanging on my wall. This time I have the artist and the year the serigraph was made. I didn't get dizzy this time. Just frustrated. Couldn't find it. It appears to be images cut out of solid blocks of colors. There's a black grand piano with black and white keys showing. A green fern and a yellow dish are on top of the piano, as is the side view of a black cat. I love its simplicity and the boldness of the images.

Then I thought I'd select one of my favorite paintings that's hanging in the Metropolitan Museum, just a few blocks from my apartment. I know the artist--El Greco. And the title of the painting--View of Toledo. I love the shapes, the colors, and the drama of the sky. I found an image of this painting easily enough, but I tried three times to post it here and failed each time.

Another of my favorite paintings I wouldn't mind hanging on my wall is Van Gogh's Irises. I'm not going to try to post it. Why create more aggravation for myself. The Sistine Chapel has its charms, but my ceilings aren't high enough.

So your wonderful thread (and this is a wonderful thread) is making me a noivous wreck. As I said before, I don't hold you personally responsible. Sigh. Can't say I didn't try.

Aw, Roberta, so sorry this has made you a noivus wreck! But I can relate, Oh yes I can! So many times I've come close to the edge trying to post images. Awful, awful! Shocked But one day I got it! Very Happy And have overboard on image posting since! Laughing

Yes, I love El Greco, too. So moody, such forboding.... & I love his skies & clouds.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:49 pm
For you, Roberta. Sorry it's so small but the larfer view produced a most dramatic stretched screen.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/gogh/irises/gogh.irises.small.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:55 pm
boomerang

Have I found the right photographs? The ones of your beautifil child? Lovely! Very Happy

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10042/t.pool.JPG
0 Replies