Choose one painting for your wall ...

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:00 am
Looking back through old Abuzz threads recently, I found a topic I started long, long ago:
"What painting would you have on your wall?"
If you could choose one painting, any painting from any time in history to place on your wall, what would you choose & why?
The thing about Abuzz was that we could write about or choice of art work, but couldn't SHOW it, (unless a link was posted) which meant often we couldn't SEE what the chosen paintings looked like.

Anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to do this again, at A2K. Words AND pictures! Smile

So which painting would you choose & why?

It doesn't have to be a famous piece ... it could be from anyone from Picasso to a painting you did in primary school.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,959 • Replies: 97
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:10 am
My word, msolga. I remember that thread, and I also recall saying that I would like to see one of MINE hanging on the wall, but that I had no formal training. Haven't changed my mind, but I do have one that I began and never finished, propped against my fireplace. <smile>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
http://www.nga.gov.au/International/Catalogue/Images/MED/64894.jpg

Nymphéas
[Waterlilies] [Water-lilies] c.1914-17
oil on canvas
Wildenstein 1807
181.0 (h) x 201.6 (w) cm
not signed, not dated, estate stamp signature l.l.
Purchased 1979
nga 1979.2858

Why did I choose this Monet? Well, If I only had ONE image to gaze at for years & years this would be a satisfying one. There are number of others I almost chose, but on consideration, they didn't have the same "staying power". It's those beautiful colours, subtly changing in nuance, those beautiful marks on canvas. I could look & look at the surface of any Monet from this period & get lost in those brush marks, those exquisite colours ..
Apart from that, the peacefulness, the calm feeling I get from this painting. The shadows on the water, the reflections, the rippling light, the depths ...
Yep, I could live with this one. I've got just the spot for it! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:29 am
Letty wrote:
My word, msolga. I remember that thread, and I also recall saying that I would like to see one of MINE hanging on the wall, but that I had no formal training. Haven't changed my mind, but I do have one that I began and never finished, propped against my fireplace. <smile>

Tell us a bit about it, Letty! Very Happy The subject, the size, the medium .... Why has it remained so loved by you?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
Now, I'm hoping that there are at least a few of you zipping around internet art sites as I type! These things take time & much consideration, I know ... One would hate to make a hasty choice, then regret it! Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
Well, Olga. It's on canvas board and shows an erotic bird..oops, make that exotic bird on a branch. Medium is oils done entirely with a brush. I like the colors of green and gold combined. I haven't finished it, because I haven't had the heart.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
You mean that it works as it stands, now, Letty? ... That you might spoil it if you work on it further? Or maybe you've just grown to like it the way it is? Or maybe you're not in a painting frame of mind?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:50 am
Nah, olga. It's just a reminder that I could have been a contendah... Smile

I like osso's painting in the gallery done in Venice, but I'm certain she won't part with it.

I do love all the impressionists, however. Always been a sucker for fuzzy pictures.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:55 am
Letty wrote:
I do love all the impressionists, however. Always been a sucker for fuzzy pictures.

Laughing Yeah, me too, Letty! Obviously.

And I know that non "contendah" feeling, too, Letty. Never happy with anything I do! (Though I'm certain we're both quite brilliant, just humble! :wink: )
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:59 am
Very Happy. My sister and I used to play a game, when we were little things, called "suggesting". One would suggest something to draw, and we'd both whip out a depiction on white paper, with a pencil, no less. We then would submit our creations to our dad for judging. My sister's was always better than mine, but Daddy would choose me to keep her humble. It would make her furious.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
And she still hates you, Letty? Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:08 am
Nah, Olga. Wants me to move back to Virginia. We really love each other when we're not in competition. That means I stay here! hee hee. She is an excellent artist to this day, though.

I have several of her paintings on my wall right now. My oldest sister is not as talented as my older sister, but the frames that encase her attempts are fabulous. Besides that, she gave them to me.

In being serious, I would love to have the original of Joseph the Carpenter on my wall. It's realistic, but breathtakingly beautiful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:13 am
Perhaps you could post your sister's work here? But you probably don't have it on your file, Letty.

Letty wrote:
In being serious, I would love to have the original of Joseph the Carpenter on my wall. It's realistic, but breathtakingly beautiful.

Not sure which painting you mean here, Letty .... Artist?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:32 am
Georges de la tour:

http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/Latour.htm

The light shinning through Jesus' small hands is captivating to me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:47 am
This detail, Letty?

http://www.christusrex.org/www2/art/thumb/tlatour01.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:49 am
Olga, if you click on the thumbnail, you get the entire painting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:54 am
Yes! And take a "tour" around it! Very Happy
You've seen the original, Letty?

(Jumbo image removed, as it totally distorted the thread. Shocked But if you click on the small image in Letty's link, you'll get a great view of the painting & can scrutinize details.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:56 am
Hey that really gave the page a stretch, in all directions! Surprised
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:03 am
Nah, honey. Never been to France. I did write a song about it once, though:

I just won a trip to Paris today,
In just a short time I'll be on my way.
To think by tomorrow at this hour
I could be climbing the Eiffel Tower,
Or eating in maxim's that fine French fare,
I entered that contest just on a dare...

(talked)

Oh, no. I haven't got a thing to wear...

My word. I had forgotten that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:06 am
Letty, my dear, I think you just posted to the wrong thread! Smile
0 Replies