Choose one painting for your wall ...

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 01:05 am
some wonderful paintings are being chosen Very Happy I love Schiele and Klimt
they have the most powerful and expressive use of line - Schile's are so economical and incisive and unique. Klimt also has that wonderful sense of colour and decorative surface and tight unconventional compositions.

Sargeant is great, his paint handling is wonderful and yes. the lovely spontaneity of his compositions/sitters - I think they have the quality you achieve in your work Boomerang,

Who painted the Boston one George?

OK - Embarrassed sorry msolga! I couldn't make up my mind!

Reasons for choosing them? I love the way they handle the paint and make it enhance the mood/time/season/sense of place.

Kurt Jackson works largely plein air and there is a wonderful immediacy about his work, the wind and waves and textures and above all the light are so brilliantly caught in wonderful layered marks,splashes and scratches, working fast. He catches the essence of the places he paints and his colours change to truly reflect the sense of the place - compare paintings done in France, Cornwall and Greece - the light and colours are very different. Too many artists don't capture the differences.

David Prentice is different, his watercolours and reed pen studies are done plein air and are much more conventional (though beautifully loose and the atmosphere is beautifully evoked). Back in the studio he develops large canvasses and pastels that take the work further, abstracting and trying to condense time, showing the passage of time and weather conditions, walkers travelling through the landscape - all within one canvas. His colours are wonderful and i always feel that sense of time and weather and light changing and time passing. When you stand in front of a 6 foot canvas it just absorbs you.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
"Boston Common at Twilight" was painted by Childe Hassam (1859 - 1943), an American painter who embraced the style of French Impressionism.

The painting brings back memories of going into Boston as a child for Christmas shopping (not in the 1880s, of course -- I'm not THAT old). I remember being at just that spot at just that time of day.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:56 am
I'd have to say a painting of the classic lines of the VW Beetle.

I'd hang it so you could view this masterpiece the second you walk through the door.

Then I could punch every house guest square in the arm and yell "YELLOW PUNCH BUGGY, NO RETURN!"

That would be awesome.

http://members.madasafish.com/~ianguymotoringartist/BeetleYellow.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:03 am
Nuh-ah! It's PUNCH BUGGY YELLOW! Gotcha! No return!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:04 am
one painting only1
well then, itd have to be
Vermeers
"An artist in his studio"

Sargents work began to decay after WW! and his major portraits, like Eakins portraits , became mere soul less recordings of posed pix of patrons . Sargents use of white was unique, as was Eakins use of dark, but after their truly great works

like sargents "gassed" or Eakins "Gross Clinic" their works began to no longer be great.OF course this is totally IMHO
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:04 am
Damn you George....DAMN YOU! As I wave my fist in the air.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:31 am
thanks George for that info
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:15 am
This has aways been one of my favorite paintings. I have a print of it hanging above my piano.
http://www.essentialart.com/mh/Renoir_Two_Young_Girls_at_the_Piano.jpg

Two Young Girls at the Piano-Renoir
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:27 am
George, I love the commons painting! The one I posted is by Paul Harris (I zoomed in on the signature in paintshop).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:12 am
http://community.webshots.com/photo/35510223/35538683tzFlXR

This is a dark photo of a rather languorous portrait of an actress, Susan Santje, by Thomas Eakins. It is, I gather, usually in the Philadelphia Museum. I saw it in a show in the NY Met, and was stopped in my tracks, in a show that had many trackstoppers. That dress just glowed. The real painting is lighter, warmer, richer than this photo depicts it.

I don't know that this is my fav all time painting, but it is one that interests me right now and that I'd like on my wall.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:35 pm
If you like abstract expressionism, check out this dramatic painting by Hans Hofmann. It is available at art.com as a poster.
Title: "Magnum opus"
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10115000/10115818.jpg

This is the most, and perhaps only, Joyful painting by Edvard Munch, "The Sun." http://www-pors.hit.no/~trondc/telesol.gif
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 02:49 pm
Wow. That Munch is amazing. Can you imagine that juxtaposed with 'The Scream' in photoshop? Talk about duality....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:24 pm
Looking, reading, checking all the links .... This is very interesting! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:37 pm
http://www.artnet.com/magazine/news/newthismonth/Images/ntm4-1-24.jpg

I have loved this painting since the first time I saw it as a postcard, about 35 years ago.

I can't actually imagine living anywhere that would be appropriate to hang it - but I love the dang thing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:57 pm
There are some really beautiful things posted on this thread.

I love that Sargeant, too, stuh!

I've been knocking this question around in my brain trying to come up with just a few favorites.

The first time I saw (the only time I've seen the real thing) "The Dreams and Lies of Franco" I was bowled over. I'm not a huge Picasso fan but this one is my favorite:

http://www.galeriemichael.com/images/art/large/904472.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:02 pm
Love it, boomerang!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:55 pm
Are there more than one Quixotes by Picasso (LW?)

A client of ours back in my old home town owns it, or one of them.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:40 pm
Oh gosh.

I completely forgot to say....

Thank you, Vivian! Sargent has been a big influence on me, portrait-wise. To actually have someone say that..... well.... I could faint...

<thud>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:06 am
Now I'll have to find some examples of your work, boomerang! In the Gallery?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:44 am
Yes, msolga, I have some new portraits I've been working on posted in the gallery. I think most of them are under "Original photography" but a few inadvertently ended up in "Baby pictures".

These are the things that are actually hanging on my walls.....
0 Replies