The Quotable Reich

maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 01:15 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Where the consequences of getting caught is deportation, a $10,000 fine, and maybe jail time.

It doesn't stop people from committing ID fraud so that they can work in the US. There are fines and jail time associated with those crimes as well. They think it is worth it. They also use those same ID's to apply for tax returns, which is another form of fraud with fines and jail time. Yet it happens all the time.

Yes, but the benefit of living in America (even illegally) and working for a paycheck making much more money than you can in your home country VASTLY outweighs the penalties.

The benefit for a single in person voter fraud is infinitesimal to the individual person. Without a coordinated effort to get millions of illegals to commit this kind of voter fraud (which you said you don't believe could happen) then it make no sense for someone to do that.
Quote:

Quote:
Where did the illegal immigrants get the names and addresses of non-voters?

Now you are just ignoring how the system works. They don't have to steal anyone's name to vote. When we fail to confirm citizenship status when someone registers to vote and then fail to check ID's when people vote, it isn't hard to game the system. Mover Voter laws and giving illegal immigrants drivers license and not verifying ID prior to voting makes this all possible.

So you think that random mexican housekeeper at a tiny bed and breakfast is going to go to a voter precinct and when asked for their name and address that they're just going to make something up and hope that it works??

How do you logistically see a single person gaming the system? How do you see dozens of people doing that in a precinct?

I honestly am trying to understand what the big worry here is. I appreciate you taking the time to walk through your thought process on this.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 01:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Robert Reich
1 hr ·
Trump’s attack on democracy shouldn’t divert our attention from other attacks now underway. A group called the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC — at the direction of billionaire GOP donors Charles and David Koch and their corporate cohorts — is pushing to convene a constitutional convention, permitted under Article V of the Constitution. At their convention, they’d attempt to rewrite the Constitution to reduce the power of the people and enhance the power of big corporations.
This is no conspiratorial joke. It takes 34 states to convene a constitutional convention, and 28 states have already passed resolutions to do exactly that. The ALEC/Koch consortium is now targeting 11 others.

Isn't this something that Liberals have wanted to do since it was written? Clarify the Constitution and make it modern. Now THIS is Democracy!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 01:57 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Yes, but the benefit of living in America (even illegally) and working for a paycheck making much more money than you can in your home country VASTLY outweighs the penalties.

How laws did you just mention that are broken by illegal immigrants everyday? Being here is a crime and even working here is a crime. Why stop at voting? Everything they have done at this point is deportable by federal law. Why stop at voting?

Quote:
The benefit for a single in person voter fraud is infinitesimal to the individual person. Without a coordinated effort to get millions of illegals to commit this kind of voter fraud (which you said you don't believe could happen) then it make no sense for someone to do that.

One illegal vote cast is 1 too many.

Quote:
So you think that random mexican housekeeper at a tiny bed and breakfast is going to go to a voter precinct and when asked for their name and address that they're just going to make something up and hope that it works??

No I think a group of illegal immigrant construction workers sitting around and talking about a US President candidate who wants to deport them is motivation enough. How about a push from the Unions who want illegal immigrants to join their ranks?

Did you know that there are more than just Mexicans who cross the southern border illegally?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 02:01 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
but even 1 vote like this is too many.

and the one duplicate voter that was caught was someone who voted for Mr. Trump. I can certainly agree that was too many.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 02:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
and the one duplicate voter that was caught was someone who voted for Mr. Trump. I can certainly agree that was too many.

I've already stated that I don't care who is caught in the investigations, it will lead to a more secure voting system if the proper protections are put into place. Such as proving citizenship to register and using ID's when you vote.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 02:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

No I think a group of illegal immigrant construction workers sitting around and talking about a US President candidate who wants to deport them is motivation enough. How about a push from the Unions who want illegal immigrants to join their ranks?

Did you know that there are more than just Mexicans who cross the southern border illegally?

Ok so help me understand how exactly this group of illegal immigrant construction workers goes from thinking about committing an act of voter fraud, to actually executing that act.

Leaving aside your insulting question, let's for simplicity focus on Mexican immigrants since that's the focus of the Trump administration.
maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 02:47 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

One illegal vote cast is 1 too many.

Do you think changing the laws, requiring citizens to obtain "papers" to vote in their own country for the first time ever (against the wishes of the founding fathers), then paying for and providing more people and locations to allow people to vote in every election henceforth (more things to check = more time to vote = need for more polling locations = more money) is a good idea even if only to protect from a single illegal vote?

Not to mention that effect that it will have on turning away thousands of real citizens from voting.

I wonder why you don't take such a hard line stance on the 2nd amendment. I mean saving even 1 life has to be more important than protecting 1 vote. If you're not worried about restricting the rights of individual people to vote then why are you so worried about protecting the rights of individuals to buy/own guns.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 03:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cripes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 03:54 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Ok so help me understand how exactly this group of illegal immigrant construction workers goes from thinking about committing an act of voter fraud, to actually executing that act.

Have you not been paying attention to how the registration laws work or to the lack of verification at the voting booth? It doesn't have to be just construction workers, any more than it had to be a single maid working in a bNb. Single person or a group of people, it works the same way. It's in how the laws work or don't work. What's hard to understand about that?

Quote:
Leaving aside your insulting question,

What was insulting about my question? You kept mentioning Mexicans, I wanted to know if you were aware that there is more than just Mexicans who cross the border. If you were insulted I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention.

Quote:
let's for simplicity focus on Mexican immigrants since that's the focus of the Trump administration.

That is not the focus of Trumps administration. Trump addresses the border issue to Mexico because we share a border with Mexico and not other Latino countries. Illegal immigration in general is the focus of his administration. For the sake of our discussion we will deal with illegal immigrants as a whole instead of by the country they come from.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 03:59 pm
@Baldimo,
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/01/27/fact-check-more-trump-deception-voter-fraud/97130820/

More Trump deception on voter fraud.

Baldimo has nothing to back up his claim on voter fraud. Just parroting Trump.
maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:16 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

Have you not been paying attention to how the registration laws work or to the lack of verification at the voting booth? It doesn't have to be just construction workers, any more than it had to be a single maid working in a bNb. Single person or a group of people, it works the same way. It's in how the laws work or don't work. What's hard to understand about that?

What I'm trying to understand is this, and if I'm misstating your thoughts here, I don't mean to be I'm just trying to get an idea of what you're thinking happens:

1) group of illegal immigrant construction workers meet for a smoke
2) they all decided Trump is a jackass and they're going to vote for Clinton illegally
3) they show up at the voting booth on election day
4) the poll workers asks them for their name and address
5) they give them a fake name and address
6) the poll worker looks up the fake name and address
7) the poll worker doesn't find a matching fake name and address
8) ........what do you think happens next?

Maybe I'm just not creative enough but I can't think of how this could play out.

I'll add, that when I went to vote in Illinois I was asked for my name, address, ID, and a credit card just to vote and I'm about as white looking cornbread American as it can get. There aren't any voter ID laws in Illinois AFAIK either.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:21 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Do you think changing the laws, requiring citizens to obtain "papers" to vote in their own country for the first time ever (against the wishes of the founding fathers)

Nice spin with that phrase. I've never read anything about the Founding Fathers being against an ID of any sort. You are going to have to find that one for me. From everything I've read there is no restriction in the Constitution on requiring an ID to vote. Unless you got something to prove this, you are just making things up. Make sure you quote the FF in your proof.

Quote:
then paying for and providing more people and locations to allow people to vote in every election henceforth (more things to check = more time to vote = need for more polling locations = more money) is a good idea even if only to protect from a single illegal vote?

You make this sound like a big deal. Here in CO when you vote in person, they point out your name in the book, you verify it is the correct address, they look at your ID to verify they match, then you sign the book. It takes a total of 2 minutes, then you wait in another line for a booth to open, the wait time there depends on how quickly people are voting in the booths and moving on. The only additional money to be spent would be in locations, and that is already a problem. A majority of poll workers are volunteers, so no additional money there. It's not hard to train someone to find a name in a book, check the ID against the book and watch someone sign. The real pain in the ass is when someone has to cast a provisional ballot due to not voting in their district. A majority of states have laws on the books about time allowed to vote while working. I would prefer to do it how other countries do it and make election day basically a National Holiday, except of course govt personal who are required to work for the election. That right there solves a majority of the "time" issues involved.

Quote:
only to protect from a single illegal vote?

Yes. As you keep pointing out, there is nothing more sacred to a democracy then the right to vote. We should do everything we can to ensure we protect the vote from fraud, no matter how "small" it could be. There is a difference between securing the vote and restricting the vote, they are not the same thing, no matter how you guys try and spin it.

Quote:
I wonder why you don't take such a hard line stance on the 2nd amendment.

I do, that's what you miss. This is were you confuse secure with restrict.

Quote:
I mean saving even 1 life has to be more important than protecting 1 vote.

How are these 2 things related?

Quote:
If you're not worried about restricting the rights of individual people to vote then why are you so worried about protecting the rights of individuals to buy/own guns.

What kind of mental gymnastics are you trying to pull here? There is no relation to guns rights with securing the vote. Don't pull a brain muscle there Maporsche.

You lost it when you took a turn towards the 2nd Amendment.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Baldimo has nothing to back up his claim on voter fraud. Just parroting Trump.

Good thing I have been talking about our election system and it's faults since before Trump got elected. In fact I have been mentioning these very same issues for a few years now, Trump bringing them up isn't special and doesn't disprove my stance on our lack of checks and balances on the election cycle.

You have only proven that you can't continue to hold a conversation like an adult. You go for the cheap and dishonest easy out.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Do you think changing the laws, requiring citizens to obtain "papers" to vote in their own country for the first time ever (against the wishes of the founding fathers)

Nice spin with that phrase. I've never read anything about the Founding Fathers being against an ID of any sort. You are going to have to find that one for me. From everything I've read there is no restriction in the Constitution on requiring an ID to vote. Unless you got something to prove this, you are just making things up. Make sure you quote the FF in your proof.

Hold one Baldimo. I'm pretty sure I've heard you say before that you're pretty strict with this constitutionist approach. That you'd like judges in the mold of Antonin Scalia, who believes if it's not explicitly outlined in the constitution then it is indeed unconstitutional.

It's not in the constitution because the founding fathers didn't want it to be there. If they did, it would be, right?

Quote:

Quote:
only to protect from a single illegal vote?

Yes. As you keep pointing out, there is nothing more sacred to a democracy then the right to vote. We should do everything we can to ensure we protect the vote from fraud, no matter how "small" it could be. There is a difference between securing the vote and restricting the vote, they are not the same thing, no matter how you guys try and spin it.

Voting is important. That's why I don't want to eliminate or discourage literally thousands of potential legal citizen voters from voting to catch a handful of criminals.

Quote:

Quote:
I wonder why you don't take such a hard line stance on the 2nd amendment.

I do, that's what you miss. This is were you confuse secure with restrict.

Quote:
I mean saving even 1 life has to be more important than protecting 1 vote.

How are these 2 things related?

Quote:
If you're not worried about restricting the rights of individual people to vote then why are you so worried about protecting the rights of individuals to buy/own guns.

What kind of mental gymnastics are you trying to pull here? There is no relation to guns rights with securing the vote. Don't pull a brain muscle there Maporsche.

You lost it when you took a turn towards the 2nd Amendment.

God you have such a problem with using analogies to help illustrate a point. I'm not even debating gun ownership. I'm analogizing the right to vote to the right to own guns and hoping (hoping) that you'll understand why both are important. I'm simply using something you support (and so do I) to help you understand something I support.

It's common in writing and in literature. I'd think you'd have the hang of it by now.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Robert Reich
1 hr ·
Trump’s attack on democracy shouldn’t divert our attention from other attacks now underway. A group called the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC — at the direction of billionaire GOP donors Charles and David Koch and their corporate cohorts — is pushing to convene a constitutional convention, permitted under Article V of the Constitution. At their convention, they’d attempt to rewrite the Constitution to reduce the power of the people and enhance the power of big corporations.
This is no conspiratorial joke. It takes 34 states to convene a constitutional convention, and 28 states have already passed
to do exactly that. The ALEC/Koch consortium is now targeting 11 others.

Not to worry though. They will protect our guns and the Wall.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:41 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
What I'm trying to understand is this, and if I'm misstating your thoughts here, I don't mean to be I'm just trying to get an idea of what you're thinking happens:

1) group of illegal immigrant construction workers meet for a smoke
2) they all decided Trump is a jackass and they're going to vote for Clinton illegally
3) they show up at the voting booth on election day
4) the poll workers asks them for their name and address
5) they give them a fake name and address
6) the poll worker looks up the fake name and address
7) the poll worker doesn't find a matching fake name and address
8) ........what do you think happens next?

Maybe I'm just not creative enough but I can't think of how this could play out.

I'll add, that when I went to vote in Illinois I was asked for my name, address, ID, and a credit card just to vote and I'm about as white looking cornbread American as it can get. There aren't any voter ID laws in Illinois AFAIK either.

Your theory falls apart at step 5, which is what you keep missing. Motor voter laws and the ability of illegal immigrants to get drivers license. ie: CA and other states. You're just assume they are using a fake name because they are an illegal immigrant, but you miss that they have a drivers license and it is at the DMV where you can register to vote. Now keep in mind that they do not allow for the checking of immigration or citizenship status when you register to vote. There is only a box which the person checks to say they are a US citizen. No one verifies this because it is against the law. No checks and balances at the time of registration, just someone's word that they are a citizen and allowed to register. From this point they are in the system and registered to vote.

Quote:

I'm not very creative at all, I don't know even how people think up normal money or credit card scams, but this is pretty easy to figure out if you know how the law works or doesn't work.

Quote:

Color of the skin doesn't matter, Americans come in every color. Are you implying that I think voter ID should only apply to non-white people? I think it should apply to everyone who wants to vote, color be damned.

Not every state has the same laws when it actually comes to voting. CA has no ID check either and the last time I voted there, 1998 mid-term elections, I was asked for my name, they found it and asked if the one listed was my address, I said it was and they let me vote. No verification of any sort, just my word that I was who I said I was. The only reason they looked me up in a book was to make sure I was at the correct polling place.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 04:52 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Hold one Baldimo. I'm pretty sure I've heard you say before that you're pretty strict with this constitutionist approach. That you'd like judges in the mold of Antonin Scalia, who believes if it's not explicitly outlined in the constitution then it is indeed unconstitutional.

It's not in the constitution because the founding fathers didn't want it to be there. If they did, it would be, right?

Wrong again. Ever hear of the 10th Amendment?
Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

This is why voter laws only happen at the state level. The Constitution only spells out the use of Elections, the states setup the rules on how it gets done.

Quote:
Voting is important. That's why I don't want to eliminate or discourage literally thousands of potential legal citizen voters from voting to catch a handful of criminals.

Then you encourage the states to put in place a system to make getting an ID easier and cheaper or cost free. Oh, they already have such programs at the state level, never mind. States should also start a push to make sure people have at a minumim a state ID. After all, how does one function in a modern day society without a form of ID? Open a back account, fly on a plane,use their credit card at the store? I could give you a list of things that can't be done without an ID, but I won't. It's a pretty long list to include buying a gun.

Quote:
God you have such a problem with using analogies to help illustrate a point. I'm not even debating gun ownership. I'm analogizing the right to vote to the right to own guns and hoping (hoping) that you'll understand why both are important. I'm simply using something you support (and so do I) to help you understand something I support.

Your analogy doesn't hold water though. There are already a great number of restrictions on guns, that do not apply to voting. You are going to have to prove how the analogy works because I can't make any sense out of it. Just the very fact that you have to show an ID to buy a gun shows that the analogy doesn't work. If you are going to try and use private sales as an excuse, then you will have to explain how I can do a private vs public vote.

Quote:
It's common in writing and in literature. I'd think you'd have the hang of it by now.

It sure is common and it works when it is used properly, which you didn't do.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 05:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I wonder why you don't take such a hard line stance on the 2nd amendment. I mean saving even 1 life has to be more important than protecting 1 vote. If you're not worried about restricting the rights of individual people to vote then why are you so worried about protecting the rights of individuals to buy/own guns.

This is why I accuse you of changing the subject being your thing. It's what you do.
maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:30 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

maporsche wrote:

This is why I accuse you of changing the subject being your thing. It's what you do.

Anything to add or is this just something personal between you and I?

A. N. A. L. O. G. Y.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:41 pm
@Baldimo,
One of the things I've learned in my 2 years experience in healthcare? A LOT of people don't have identification. Lots. I know. Hard to believe.

Something else I've learned in my 18 years at a banking institution? Millions and millions DONT have bank accounts or credit cards and 10's of millions don't fly on planes (a lot of overlap with those who don't have an accounts or money in general)

I know. It's nuts, but try to imagine that people (American citizens even) live less fortunate lives than you do.
0 Replies