The Quotable Reich

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

blah, blah, blah... the right to vote for every eligible citizen. blah, blah, blah.

I highlighted the important part of your post. How can you prove a voter is an eligible citizen? Take their word for it?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 04:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

What do you know about his thing?

I've observed it and then he showed me his I.D. then whipped it out right in front of everyone.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Baldimo wrote:

Why are you changing the subject? Apples and oranges.

That's his thing.

MY thing? Just yesterday McG you turned a question I had to baldimo into a question for me. Thats YOUR thing.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:23 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Why are you changing the subject? Apples and oranges.

It's not apples and oranges. Both are rights in this country. The left doesn't want to restrict voting rights just like the right doesn't want to restrict gun rights, despite polls saying that the majority of people support both measures.

It's not changing the subject, it's me, grabbing an example that I hope you can understand.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 05:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would stream swear but I'm not imaginative enough.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:51 am
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
How can you prove a voter is an eligible citizen? Take their word for it?

No, you require some sort of ID. However, the conservatives want to make it a Photo ID, which 11% of the eligible voters do not have, according t the Brennan Center for Justice of NYU Law School.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 08:11 am
@Blickers,
So, what sort of ID do you have in mind? Also, why don't 11% of eligible American Voters have ID, and how many of them actually vote? Typically the US has around 50-55% of eligible voters actually vote. I am perfectly OK with the 11% that don't have a picture ID to either get an ID or stop voting.

I also believe that having a picture voter ID does not need to come from the DMVt office. I'd say you could get it right at the polls. Bring a birth certificate and 2 utility bills and get a picture ID.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 09:12 am
A national voter ID card will go a long way in solving the huge voter fraud problem in this nation.

India has an effective voter ID card, why can't we?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2_H4ZsUsAAjx3n.jpg:large
Baldimo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:08 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
It's not apples and oranges. Both are rights in this country.

True. Although there are already a whole bunch of restrictions on guns, many more than exist for voting. If you want to push the gun show loophole, be my guest, but it only applies to private sales that take place in person. Is there a place for me to conduct a "private vote" outside of public view? Yes, it's called Mail in voting, but I can't legally send a gun through the mail without it going to a federally licensed gun dealer, who then has to perform a background check on the person picking up the gun, which includes that person having an ID. Could I send it directly to the person? Sure, and break federal laws in the process, which in no way shape or form compares gun rights to voting rights.

Quote:
The left doesn't want to restrict voting rights just like the right doesn't want to restrict gun rights, despite polls saying that the majority of people support both measures.

As noted above, there are already a whole slew of city, country, state and Federal restrictions on guns and their ownership.

Quote:
It's not changing the subject, it's me, grabbing an example that I hope you can understand.

It is changing the subject. While they are both rights, one is much more complicated the the simple phase "gun rights" and Voting is not as complicated especially in it's current form. Unless you have some proof that shows voting is more difficult than owning a gun, then you are indeed changing the subject. We already know that you know almost next to nothing about guns or gun laws, this is why you brought up the gun show loophole, so this should be interesting.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:12 pm
@Frugal1,
There is no huge voter fraud. The penalties for voter fraud makes it too costly; years in jail and up to $10,000 fine. How many stupid people are there? Do you know any?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/?tid=a_inl-amp
Baldimo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
There is no huge voter fraud. The penalties for voter fraud makes it too costly; years in jail and up to $10,000 fine. How many stupid people are there? Do you know any?

To costly to commit voter fraud? Well if the cost to the person was going to stop crimes from taking place, we should have almost no crime or murder.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 01:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 01:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're an idiot. We're talking about voter fraud, not murder or any other crime.

It's based on the same theory though. What makes you think voting is so much more sacred that people wouldn't cheat?

Keep the personal insults to yourself.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 04:54 pm
Robert Reich
1 hr ·
Question: How do you explain the “Trump rally” on Wall Street? After blowing past the 19000 mark just 14 trading days after Election Day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average blew through 20000 today.
Answer: Financial markets expect higher corporate profits -- stemming from lower corporate taxes, fewer regulations, and major infrastructure spending.
Question: But what about Trump’s talk about new trade barriers, and executive orders barring immigration? Won’t these reduce corporate profits?
Answer: Wall Street doesn’t believe he’ll follow through on erecting new trade barriers. And his executive orders on immigration affect such a small portion of the workforce they won’t reduce profits.
Question: So will the rally continue?
Answer: No. Trump’s belligerent and bizarre talk – not just about trade, but also about the “obsolescence” of NATO and his indifference toward the European Union -- is rattling the global economy, causing uncertainty from London to Tokyo. Uncertainty is never good for financial markets. It will drive more global savings into the United States, pushing up the dollar and thereby making American exports less competitive internationally.
Question: And what about American workers? Will they benefit?
Answer: No. Trump is doing absolutely nothing to create more and better jobs. His bullying of auto and appliance makers is purely for show. A trade war would hurt American jobs. A higher dollar will hurt jobs as well. Trump’s repeal of Obamacare will harm millions of American workers, who will have to pay more for health insurance.
Question: So the “Trump rally” has nothing to do with the real economy?
Answer: Absolutely nothing.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Question: How do you explain the “Trump rally” on Wall Street? After blowing past the 19000 mark just 14 trading days after Election Day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average blew through 20000 today.
Answer: Financial markets expect higher corporate profits -- stemming from lower corporate taxes, fewer regulations, and major infrastructure spending.

So regulations do play a roll in the economy not doing so well. Business's are excited about being able to actually work and not spend time and money on fruitless regulations, like the ones overturned by a Federal Court.

Quote:
Question: But what about Trump’s talk about new trade barriers, and executive orders barring immigration? Won’t these reduce corporate profits?
Answer: Wall Street doesn’t believe he’ll follow through on erecting new trade barriers. And his executive orders on immigration affect such a small portion of the workforce they won’t reduce profits.

They won't reduce corporate profits because they will be saving money on pointless regulations. They are also not bothered by the immigration issue because they understand the difference between legal and illegal immigration and putting a halt to illegal immigration will not effect the workforce of legal immigrants.

Quote:
Question: So will the rally continue?
Answer: No. Trump’s belligerent and bizarre talk – not just about trade, but also about the “obsolescence” of NATO and his indifference toward the European Union -- is rattling the global economy, causing uncertainty from London to Tokyo. Uncertainty is never good for financial markets. It will drive more global savings into the United States, pushing up the dollar and thereby making American exports less competitive internationally.

Speculation at it's worse. He is assuming that EU nations funding more of their own protection will be bad for business and will shake the markets. I would think more stability in the EU would be good for the markets.

Quote:
Question: And what about American workers? Will they benefit?
Answer: No. Trump is doing absolutely nothing to create more and better jobs. His bullying of auto and appliance makers is purely for show. A trade war would hurt American jobs. A higher dollar will hurt jobs as well. Trump’s repeal of Obamacare will harm millions of American workers, who will have to pay more for health insurance.

The companies will be doing the job creation, the govt does nothing to help create more jobs when regulations are high.
Millions of hard working Americans had their insurance effected by the ACA, repealing it will help the average American worker who saw their rates climb. This was also the same guy who agreed that the ACA would save the average American $2500 a year on insurance, almost no one saw those savings. The majority saw increases.

Quote:
Question: So the “Trump rally” has nothing to do with the real economy?
Answer: Absolutely nothing.

Of course he has to say this. If he thought Trump was going to be good for the economy, he would be proving that he doesn't really understand the economy, which he has shown himself to do often. This guy in only a rock star in the world of leftist politics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 05:49 pm
Companies have not created jobs here the whole time since Bush initiated tax cuts to that purpose. Not likely they will start now.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 05:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
Most people do not understand economics. Trump's tariffs will harm trade and jobs, and not only in our country. This know-it-all who supposedly went to a Wharton failed to learn simple economic concepts about comparative advantage. He's dangerous to all economies.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 10:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
You say most people don't understand economics, and that would include Reich. Trump won't use tariff's, it's a threat to get jobs to stay here and it some cases it seems to be working.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 12:19 pm
@Baldimo,
Tell that to our trading partners who are already planning their own tariffs. It's a lose-lose proposition from the get go.
Trump's an idiot who doesn't understand what he says has consequences.
Have you figured out Trump's immigration policy yet? That's how stupid he is!
Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2017 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Tell that to our trading partners who are already planning their own tariffs. It's a lose-lose proposition from the get go.
Trump's an idiot who doesn't understand what he says has consequences.

Let them plan. It's scare tactics on both sides. A majority of those deals favor other counties anyways. Do you think we would have the export of work to other countries that we do without these trade deals? Do you favor jobs staying/coming to the US or being exported/established in other countries? From what I understand, these tariffs would only apply to products made by US companies on foreign soil, not on all imports from other countries.