I'll 'Take on the Terrorists' With Gun Control

timberlandko

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:25 am
Dookiestix wrote:
... How would a pistol work better than an uzi? ...

A trained, experienced, disciplined, competent individual with a decent pistol, revolver or autoloader, would have a fair edge on an unstable, stressed-out thug armed with a machine pistol in a typical urban combat scenario. Not that anybody in their right mind would wanna be in that situation.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:52 am
Dookiestix wrote:
McGentrix writes:

Quote:
Wouldn't a pistol work better than an uzi?

What are we talking about here? If you walk into a crowded group of human beings, and have a "pistol," with limited shots based on the capacity of the clip, vs. an Uzi which can fire off a rapid spray of bullets ona crowd, then... um...

How would a pistol work better than an uzi?

Quote:
A semi-automatic pistol shoots just as fast as a semi-automatic pistol.

You would think so...

I've shot a fully-automatic Uzi. The accuracy is crap past 10 yards and even then, your arm gets jered around all over. With a pistol, I could empty a clip into a target at 10 yards with a rather nice grouping. In a real gun fight, I would prefer my pistol over almost any assault rifle.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:20 pm
I'm sure any experienced shooter will realize the folly of assualt weapons right away.

The theory is just crap on them anyways; sacrifice accuracy for rate of fire. I can see them being useful in mass-battle situations where you couldn't help but hit the enemy (Civil war style gatling guns, etc) but for the modern soldier/hunter/whatever, accuracy has GOT to beat rate of fire almost every time.

Now, a shotgun is another story.... Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nate

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
Actually, Cycloptichorn, a great number of the guns characterized as "assault weapons" are just as accurate as other rifles, and many weapons preferred by Olympic target-shooters fell under the AWB, for the sole reason that they had their magazines forward of the grip.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:11 pm
When will you ever take on your self with self control?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
Agreed. Guns are, in many ways, much more of a psychological defense for people who are scared of the world as they are a physical defense.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:15 pm
Interestingly, Bush 43 appears to be in support of the assault weapon ban.

Quote:
The ad also claims that Bush "will let the assault weapon ban expire," which is misleading. In fact, Bush spoke in support of the ban during his campaign four years ago and his spokesman said as recently as May of last year that he still supported
it.

http://factcheck.org/article.aspx?docid=258

again - thanks, timber
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
Quite welcome. BTW, I trust you read all the way to the end of that article, to the conclusion, where
FactCheck wrote:
Bush was publicly committed to sign an extension if Congress passed it, and it was Congress that failed to do so.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:43 pm
you bet i did

however, i've noticed not many people here are discussing congress - it's all bush/kerry/bush/kerry/bush/kerry/yawn

no point in forcing what they don't want to read on 'em. the link's there if they are actually interested

(i posted more of it on another thread - didn't cause much of a blink there, either)
0 Replies