I'll 'Take on the Terrorists' With Gun Control

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:35 pm
Presidential candidate John Kerry promised over the weekend that he would "take on the terrorists" who attacked the U.S. on 9/11 by forcing them to obey America's gun control laws.

Kerry said laws like the Assault Weapons Ban, which expires today, were valuable "not just to fight ordinary crime but to take on terrorists."

And he complained that President Bush was "making the job of the terrorists easier" by not pushing for a renewal of the sweeping gun control law.

"The 9/11 commission and other reports have shown that al-Qaida wanted to come into America, and in the al-Qaida manual of terror, they were telling people to go out and buy assault weapons," Kerry told a crowd in Missouri.

The top Democrat did not explain why the Assault Weapons Ban failed to protect America against the 9/11 attacks, which were executed by al-Qaida operatives armed with small knives.

Nor did Kerry say how many terrorists had been arrested and charged with violations under the Assault Weapons Ban.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,334 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:38 pm
I guess because you are technically quoting yourself, it's not neccessary to link to the article that you plagarized.

But it would be cool if ya could.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:38 pm
Kerry's in quicksand grasping for a limb.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:39 pm
I'd say it's a fine example of Kerry taking both sides of the issue at once. :wink:
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:41 pm
I just wonder if the Senate ever did get around to voting on extending the ban, would Kerry & Edwards gotten off their campaign gig and voted on the measure?

Why did not these 2 Senators raise the issue of extending the ban? That is their job, is it not?
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/saw-faqs.htm
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:52 pm
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 12:59 pm
I'm at a loss here: What is a semiautomatic assault weapon, and why do they make it easier to assault someone than if they do it with a semiautomatic hunting rifle?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:04 pm
It's a question of size. It's much harder to mug someone if you are carrying a 4-foot rifle down the street, than a 10 inch long uzi which convienently fits in your jacket.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:04 pm
Wouldn't a pistol work better than an uzi?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:07 pm
<me shrugging>

I don't know. I've never tried to rob someone.

I figure that if the point is to scare and not shoot someone, than the badder looking gun, the better. If it's intended to use in gang fights/killings, then I guess the perpetrators figure that the more lead you can put into the air, the better.

This tends to suck for innocent bystanders.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:07 pm
I thought law enforcement was concerned that they could be outgunned by weapons that could fire many more rounds (grasping for the number) than their standard issue handguns.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:08 pm
woiyo wrote:
I just wonder if the Senate ever did get around to voting on extending the ban, would Kerry & Edwards gotten off their campaign gig and voted on the measure?

Do you think Bush would go back to Washington to sign it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:10 pm
I think it's more a matter, Freeduck, of the terrible accuracy of such weapons combined with the amount of bullets being fired. It leads to people getting shot who weren't even a part of the problem.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:12 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's a question of size. It's much harder to mug someone if you are carrying a 4-foot rifle down the street, than a 10 inch long uzi which convienently fits in your jacket.Cycloptichorn

But the Uzi is automatic, not semi-automatic no? At least those we had in the army were.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Don't know, Thomas. I throw the term UZI around loosely here; more likely something like a TEC-9 is what the ban pertains to.

As a kid growing up in a poor neighborhood in Houston, Uzi meant anything that was shaped like a pistol and fired more than one bullet when you pulled the trigger; sort of a ghetto version of using the word 'coke' to describe all soft drinks, another thing we do here in the south.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:16 pm
An Uzi is pistol sized. That's the point. And it can spit out a splatter of rounds.

Does one have your kid's name on it?

Probably not if you're white and upper middle class. Unless you're in midtown when some other character decides to go off on the general public, or a floor of an office building.

Where have you been McGentrix? In a sand trap with the other ostriches?
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:21 pm
Perhaps if everyone packed an Uzi no one would need to use one.

Or perhaps after "an eye for an eye" has made the whole world blind we can use very tiny rounds in our personal arsenals and shred each other up piece by piece and read about it in braille turning pages with our nose if we have to and reading with our tongue if they have not been cut out.

My the Godess and the Golden Calf Bless Hamurabi, GW Bush and Donald Rumsfeld and Walt Disney's cryogenically frozen Head (if isn't a mere urban legend).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:24 pm
A semi-automatic pistol shoots just as fast as a semi-automatic pistol.

Also, TEC-9's are notorious jammers and very unreliable in a gunfight.

Any gun that fires more than a single round per trigger pull is illegal. It was before the AWB, it remains so after the AWB.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:32 pm
Quote:
A semi-automatic pistol shoots just as fast as a semi-automatic pistol.

Really? Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies