I'll 'Take on the Terrorists' With Gun Control

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
Feh, you know what i mean. Rifle.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
Yeah, I know, I just thought it was funny and we could use a little levity today.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
As a kid growing up in a poor neighborhood in Houston, Uzi meant anything that was shaped like a pistol and fired more than one bullet when you pulled the trigger; sort of a ghetto version of using the word 'coke' to describe all soft drinks, another thing we do here in the south.

I see. In Germany, "Uzi" refers to one specific product. It's about halfway between a pistol and a rifle in size, and like the weapons you described, it shoots more than one bullet when you pull the trigger. But at least in my language, that makes it automatic, not semiautomatic. This means Uzis remain illegal under the gun control act. Right?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
Right.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
Ah, I see you already answered that, McGentrix. Thanks!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:53 pm
One day, after sword class, I went to visit a friend in a rather rough neighbourhood. I didn't have a bag for my sword at the time, so I just propped it on my shoulder and carried on. Very large scary looking men were crossing the street as I casually made my way to my destination, and the katana was only wooden.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 01:54 pm
Now, reading between the lines of what Cycloptichorn just said, I gather that the possession of Uzis was fairly common where he lived. If so, that would suggest that the problem is with the enforcement of the Gun Control act, not with its wording, and not with the expiration of one of its provisions.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:07 pm
Well, while not exactly common, semi-auto and auto weapons were the favored choice of the gang member wanna-be's in my neighborhood.

Every now and then you would hear the distinctive noise late at night. It still makes me shudder when I hear the noise.

While enforcement definately is a huge part of the issue, it would be a lot harder to get any sort of automatic or semiautomatic gun if it was illegal. Period. Decrease the supply, decrease the usage. There are ways to flex the numbers to make this appear to be untrue, but what issue can one not do that with?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:19 pm
Weird Al must be creaming his jeans.

Got an AK-47, well you know it makes me feel alright
Got an Uzi by my pillow, helps me sleep a little better at night
There's no feeling any greater
Than to shoot first and ask questions later
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Well, you can't take my guns away, I got a constitutional right
Yeah, I gotta be ready if the Commies attack us tonight
I'll blow their brains out with my Smith and Wesson
That ought to teach them all a darn good lesson
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

(Oh yeah, I'm) trigger, trigger happy
Yes I'm trigger, trigger happy
(Oh baby, I'm) trigger, trigger happy
(Oh I'm so) trigger, trigger happy
Better watch out, punk, or I'm gonna have to blow you away

Oh, I accidently shot daddy last night in the den
I mistook him in the dark for a drug-crazed Nazi again
Now why'd you have to get so mad?
It was just a lousy flesh wound, Dad
You know, I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Oh, I still haven't figured out the safety on my rifle yet
Little Fluffy took a round, better take him to the vet
I filled that kitty cat so full of lead
We'll have to use him for a pencil instead
Well, I'm so trigger happy, trigger happy every day

(Oh I'm so) trigger, trigger happy

Come on and grab your ammo
What have you got to lose?
We'll get all liquored up
And shoot at anything that moves

Got a brand new semi-automatic weapon with a laser sight
Oh, I'm prayin' somebody tries to break in here tonight
I always keep a Magnum in my trunk
You better ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk?
Because I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

(Oh I'm so)trigger, trigger happy

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:23 pm
You'd be busted for brandishing in Berkeley if you carried a wooden sword.

The cops might shoot you.

I wouldn't be concerned about the civilian population.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:25 pm
The cops in Berkely appear to mosty be carrying 9mm Glockenspiels.

They march them around with the brass band when they're off duty.

The good news is that the team is winning this year. (So far).
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:27 pm
What tool is it that will beat a sword into a plough share?

A hammer or a bessemer converter, or both?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:28 pm
I think all you gun nuts are frightened to death and clinging onto anything that gives you the illusion of safety...like the right to own a machine gun and a strong man moron president.......like either one will make you safe.....enjoy and feel good I say....in the end the outcome is the same....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:33 pm
How will the sword beat the gun? By it's association with the pen. You can poke out an eye out, or two, with that thing, you know.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:37 pm
That's an uninteresting question unless you are a violent person or someone willing to do some time for the crime.

I prefer the pen to the sword. The keyboard is an ambidextrous thing. The printed word could save a lot of grief.

Think of the proverbial Writing on the Wall.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:42 pm
I've not heard of a writer getting shot for writing.

But Nellie Bly shot down Johnnie for cheating on him with the legendary Frankie. There was a Nellie Bly who was a newspaper reporter. I suspect it was a different one, or that the fact she reported the murder found her a place as the "other woman" in one of her own reports.

That's how folklore is created.

Nixon was memorialized in music: Tin Soldiers and Nixon's coming. . .

I wonder how many songs there are for George Bush.

I heard that one about Bush Lied thousands died.
It has a ring to it.
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:47 pm
Take up the gun with fear in your heart and whiskey in your veins.

Or stay home and watch a muppet movie.
0 Replies

nate

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:05 pm
I like how some of you are tossing out rhetoric about machine guns to show your ignorance of the "assault weapons ban".

The weapons banned? Semiautomatic. It means one trigger pull equals one bullet fired, just like every other gun out there.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
semi-auto and auto weapons were the favored choice of the gang member wanna-be's in my neighborhood.

Their weapons of choice were semiauto and auto? Thanks for the non-statement. The only thing I can derive from that is that they didn't use bolt-action guns. Big surprise there.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:25 pm
Fully automatic weapons have been subject to strict Federal control since the Prohibition Era. With the appropriate, highly restrictive licensing, private citizens may in fact own full-auto firearms.
For those who don't want to actually own them, just shoot them, a number of firing ranges offer supervised, on-sight-only rental of same.
Ammo is charged separately, usually by the magazine or belt, depending on the feed mechanism of the piece at use, and a quarter hour of loud, shoulder-bruising entertainment can get kinda pricey, 'specially if ya go in for the larger-calibre genre or the spinning barrels stuff.

The AWB dealt essentially with cosmetics, not function. If a rifle looked really mean, it was proscribed. Lose the flash suppressor, the bayonet and its mounting lug, the bipod, and the banana clip, and a "civilianized" single-shot-per-trigger-pull surplus M-14 is a helluva huntin' piece, if a little on the heavy side. Re-fit it with all that stuff, and it doesn't shoot any differently, it just weighs more ... and though defeating the single-shot lockout is no big deal (pretty much true for most any auto-loader, rifle or pistol), frankly, large capacity clips are a literal pain to load with box ammo.

Personally, around here, accordin' to what's in season, I find a plain old saddle carbine with open sights handles good enough for woods game, and for birdin', I use either a pump gun or a double barrel, dependin' on what sorta bird I'm after. For varmints, and general plinkin', a .22 Cal autoloader with a modest scope is perfect. I enjoy bow and blackpowder seasons, too, as well as marksmanship contests of all sorts.

Out West, or Way Up North, that heavy old M-14 with a somewhat more ambitious scope is great for plains and tundra game ... even the really big critters, if ya lay your shot real careful. Somethin' my grampa taught me is the second shot rarely works, a third shot is all but always a failure, and four or more is just a waste of effort and ammo'while spookin' all the game in the neighborhood so bad your huntin' for the day is over.

And then there are my pistols. Mrs Timber says I've got way too many of 'em. She's prolly right, but all of 'em do different things different ways, and each one is pretty neat in its own way. Only have a couple bows, though; one pretty good and another pretty old but still perfectly serviceable, and a buncha blackpowder stuff. Never got too exited about swords and sabers an pikes and halberds and maces and lances and the like, though I think it might be sorta fun to build a really big trebuchet.

I am a staunch gun control advocate; I figure consistent 3" groups at 50 yards, standing off-hand rapid-fire is pretty good control.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:23 pm
McGentrix writes:

Quote:
Wouldn't a pistol work better than an uzi?

What are we talking about here? If you walk into a crowded group of human beings, and have a "pistol," with limited shots based on the capacity of the clip, vs. an Uzi which can fire off a rapid spray of bullets ona crowd, then... um...

How would a pistol work better than an uzi?

Quote:
A semi-automatic pistol shoots just as fast as a semi-automatic pistol.

You would think so...
0 Replies