What does the proliferation of Trump threads indicate ?

fresco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 12:52 am
Once again, as a Brit, I am bemused and somewhat concerned that this guy seems be to being taken seriously. Surely the nation as a whole will not be so stupid as to vote such a character into office ? So why these threads about what will be yesterdays news ? Are they some type of therapeutic catharsis which attempts to dissipate concern ? Is this guy really worth such mental efforts which tend merely to give him even more ill deserved 'oxygen of publicity'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,533 • Replies: 45

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:51 am
@fresco,
He's the nominee of a major party in the most prominent political race on earth. It's natural for a candidate in the most prominent political race on the planet to be discussed in the final stretch of this campaign.

And no, he won't be voted into office. He has about a 20% chance of that by my last estimation.
roger

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
Well good. Now I only have Clinton to be afraid of.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:57 am
@roger,
I just quickly checked some polls and things have actually tightened up quite a bit since she had an 80% chance (only a few weeks ago, Hillary has been dropping all July), and it's actually closer to a coin flip now. I guess it's time to worry about a Trump victory again, but I think Hillary will increase her lead when more polling comes out from after the conventions.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 05:44 am
I think she'll get a convention bounce (which is a pretty safe assumption).

As for the original question, it's news, and A2K reflects the news.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:26 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Once again, as a Brit, I am bemused and somewhat concerned that this guy seems be to being taken seriously. Surely the nation as a whole will not be so stupid as to vote such a character into office ? So why these threads about what will be yesterdays news ? Are they some type of therapeutic catharsis which attempts to dissipate concern ? Is this guy really worth such mental efforts which tend merely to give him even more ill deserved 'oxygen of publicity'?

Are you, perchance, actually reading the content of said dozens and dozens of threads? You've been a member here at a2k for 14+ years. You shouldn't judge a so-called pattern of forum activity based on thread titles alone.

Let me just paste this reminder that you guys across the Atlantic aren't sans fools and follies.

http://i64.tinypic.com/119ts00.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:31 am
I find it odd that people who bemoan the free publicity Trump gained from the press are obsessed with giving him exposure here.
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:33 am
If I were putting upTrump threads my reason would be equal parts terror and appalled fascination.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:35 am
@jespah,
Smile Maybe it takes an outsider to point out that this 'news' is somewhat parochial and self generating. I still think you will all be scratching your heads heads after the election saying 'what the hell was that all about' !
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:40 am
@edgarblythe,
But as far as I know, literally NO MEMBER of a2k is an ostrich. I think its a part of our civic duty to make sure we don't turn into that proverbial head in the sand/deliberately self-blinding ourselves until things possibly blow over for the better.

Besides, there's a big difference between exposure on the national and global mediascape and exposure here ... the backroads of the internet. Trump is getting away with saving millions and millions of dollars by not having the traditional one-sided political ad campaign.

And for my own reference, ostriches don't actually bury their heads into the ground. Urban legend... yada yada.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:41 am
@tsarstepan,
Laughing
The only possible link between Boris and Trump is the hairstyle!
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:42 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Smile Maybe it takes an outsider to point out that this 'news' is somewhat parochial and self generating. I still think you will all be scratching your heads heads after the election saying 'what the hell was that all about' !

I sincerely hope you're right about this. That this political nightmare does, in fact, have a happy ending ... soon enough.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:43 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Laughing
The only possible link between Boris and Trump is the hairstyle!

He's a fool but a different breed of fool in comparison to Trump. But still, a fool.
fresco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 06:54 am
@tsarstepan,
Wait and see !
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 07:22 am
@fresco,
This is what people think of the April Fools' Day and Decryptonite threads. Until they come up again.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 09:54 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
Surely the nation as a whole will not be so stupid as to vote such a character into office?

The fear is precisely that the nation as a whole will be so stupid thereof.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 10:10 am
@InfraBlue,
A lot more has been written about Adolf Hitler than about most other historical figures.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 10:21 am
@maxdancona,
Heh, have we reached our Godwin's Law moment?
roger

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 11:21 am
@InfraBlue,
There was a point to the observation.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 11:44 am
@tsarstepan,
I do think fresco is really just engaging in a bit of feeling superior about himself for not being American to be honest. And yes, it's not like the Brits didn't just shoot themselves in the foot with their Brexit idiocy.