The doctor confirmed the diagnosis of breast cancer...

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 04:47 am
The doctor confirmed the diagnosis of breast cancer and prescribed my mother some medications.

Does the part in bold mean that the doctor examined my mother and found that she had cancer, as she had suspected? Or does it mean that the doctor confirmed the diagnosis of cancer of another doctor?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,293 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 05:29 am
Without knowing what the author intended, it means the doctor confirms another doctor's diagnosis. That's not an unusual construction, either. So, your mother might have found a lump in her breast while doing a self-examination, and then consulted her family physician. That doctor might refer her to an oncologist (a doctor who deals with tumors). So if your family physician diagnosed cancer, and the oncologist upon examination comes to the same conclusion, then you would say " . . . the doctor (meaning the oncologist) confirmed the diagnosis of cancer."

That might not be what the author intended to say, but that's what that sentence says--that a second doctor confirms the diagnosis of the first doctor.

Now, this: . . . prescribed my mother some medications.--is awkward. You might say: ". . . prescribed some mediation(s) for my mother." But a native English speaker would definitely use a preposition in such a clause.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 05:35 am
Thanks, Setanta.

The doctor diagnosed my mother had breast cancer, as she had suspected, and prescribed some medications for her.

Is the part in bold correct or should it be rephrased? (This is what the author meant to say, but she thought that the doctor confirmed the diagnosis of breast refers to the doctor's confirmation that her mother had cancer as she suspected.
contrex

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 05:45 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Now, this: . . . prescribed my mother some medications.--is awkward. You might say: ". . . prescribed some mediation(s) for my mother." But a native English speaker would definitely use a preposition in such a clause.

I don't know about elsewhere, but in UK usage we often see this type of expression without a preposition -

My doctor prescribed me some ointment; my father ordered me a Big Mac.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 06:15 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Thanks, Setanta.

The doctor diagnosed my mother had breast cancer, as she had suspected, and prescribed some medications for her.

Your mother most likely detected a lump in one or both of her breasts. This is normally a sign for your mother to have a mammogram and to make a doctor's appointment for a follow-up to the mammogram. If somthing abnormal has been detected on the mammogram, normally a second mammogram is obtained.

If the 2nd mammogram suggests an abnormality ( cancer?) in the breast, a biopsy is performed by an oncologist and based on the results of tissue examintion, further tests may be undertaken.

Following all of the above, the patient must be under the care of both her PCP and her oncologist as well as others.

In the US, PCP normally do not undertake the Rx-ing of medications for the patient for "cancer". This is usually performed ( + numerous other tests such as blood work) by the oncologist with additional follow- up visits to the PCP.

All to often, many women find a breast lump and immediately jump to the conclusion of "cancer". Many lumps are not cancerous and some breast abnormalities come and go as women age and their hormones fluctuate.

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 06:23 am
Thanks, Miller, for the information. However, I'm afraid my follow-up question may be missed, so I am re-posting. Here's the question:

Is the part in bold correct or should it be rephrased? (This is what the author meant to say, but she thought that the doctor confirmed the diagnosis of breast refers to the doctor's confirmation that her mother had cancer, as she had suspected.)
Miller

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 06:27 am
@Miller,
The doctor(PCP) confirmed the dx of cancer following the workups and tissue examinations performed by the oncologist. The PCP could never dx cancer by manual manipulation of the female breast. The radiologist ( mammogram) and oncologist are the only individuals with techniques and sufficient knowledge/training to ever arrive at a dx of breast cancer.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 06:33 am
Thanks, Miller, for the detailed information.

Could you please look at my sentence and see if it is OK? This is what the author wrote, but I want to know whether the sentence is correctly phrased.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:10 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Is the part in bold correct or should it be rephrased?

The doctor diagnosed my mother with breast cancer, as she had suspected, and prescribed some medications for her.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 09:04 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

tanguatlay wrote:

Is the part in bold correct or should it be rephrased?

The doctor diagnosed my mother with breast cancer, as she had suspected, and prescribed some medications for her.

Thanks, contrex.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 09:15 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

This is quite different from the first sentence. Do you mean to change the meaning?

__

And - as Setanta has noted, the unbolded portion would be edited here as it is incorrect.

The entire thing reads like a bad translation.
0 Replies