"Until this moment I think I never really gauged your cruelty"

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 11:53 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
We'll see if I'm right. I actually have two predictions now.

First, that the 2013 gun control debacle will sweep the Republican candidate into office.

And second, that if Trump becomes president, he will reform the Republican Party into something that will dominate for 20 years minimum, with the Democrats only eventually winning again when they start nominating "Trump-lite" candidates (sort of like Bill Clinton won by becoming "Reagan-lite").

If my first prediction fails, my second prediction will never be tested. But both predictions look sound to me so far. I remain confident in both.

You can get GREAT odds on those predictions on the betting markets right now. If I were as certain as you are I would put some money on it given the incredibly remote odds of both scenarios playing out. Hell you only have to think there's around 10% of a chance of those things happening to be even money.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 03:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
How did Mr. Trump malign the Khan fanily? What is the quotation in which he did this?

When asked directly by George Stephanopoulos, in that original interview, about Mr. Khan's aggressive criticism of him at the Democratic convention, he said several, rather mild things, including:

"He was, you know, very emotional and probably looked like a nice guy to me,"

and

"I wish him the best of luck, George."

What's the quotation in which he maligned them? In your view of the world, after being attacked in public, Mr. Trump may not in any way respond in his own defense, even when directly asked about it in an interview? What is the quotation in which he demonstrated his "cruelty" to the Khans?
snood

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yup, I sure wish oralloy was a betting man.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What exactly did he say about this Khan person that you find to be dumb?

Maybe I should have said politically naive rather than dumb.

Of course that lack of political correctness is what has taken him this far and I can sort of sympathize, but not enough to justify making him president. I'm still waiting to hear what he actually wants to do beyond banning Muslims and encouraging the militarization of police forces. (Which does not endear him to me).
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Seems we agree ,cauebeing against "political Correctness" does not mean being for outright rudeness and disrespect.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Instead of expressing sorrow for his loss, he wondered if his wife was allowed to speak which is a distorted view of Islam. Moreover, the Trump campaign is saying the Khan family is from the Brotherhood. He should have said, I appreciate your son's sacrifice and perhaps I'll rethink my ridiculous ban on Muslim immigrants coming to the country in light of that sacrifice.

And no he didn't distinguish between militant Muslims and Muslims. He said, "all Muslims." Later the people who are in charge of cleaning up his statements said, he meant just until the government can figure out what is going on. They didn't say he meant just those on the terror watch list or militant Muslims.

Donald Trump: Ban all Muslim travel to U.S.

One of the worst things about Trump is after saying those awful remarks of his (any of them), he doesn't say he misspoke or apologize, no, he holds a grudge and double downs on any perceived slight or criticism.
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
you say you think Trump will cause war with China, and worry about thermonuclear war,

I'm not sure that I'd blame him for causing the war. It's more that he lacks the wisdom to steer a course that will avoid the war (I think avoiding the war will be tricky).

How many of the countries who got sucked into World War I could be blamed for causing the war?

Robert Gentel wrote:
yet think Hillary taking your guns away is likely enough to be even more concerned about? Even if she wants to there is no chance of her doing that.

She plans to try, and that is bad enough. Just because the NRA is powerful enough to stop her legislative agenda cold and wreck her presidency in the process (much like we did to Obama's second term in 2013) doesn't mean we don't get sick of people trying to take our freedom away every chance they get.

She also plans to pack the Supreme Court with justices who will let the Constitution be wantonly violated. She's just bad news for freedom.

Robert Gentel wrote:
You have a very odd fixation on this single issue.

My freedom is everything to me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
You can get GREAT odds on those predictions on the betting markets right now. If I were as certain as you are I would put some money on it given the incredibly remote odds of both scenarios playing out. Hell you only have to think there's around 10% of a chance of those things happening to be even money.

Unfortunately the betting markets are only offering bets for specific scenarios, and their odds are not nearly long enough to allow for a massive payout.
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear what he actually wants to do beyond banning Muslims and encouraging the militarization of police forces.

I think he means to restore trade barriers and restore the union-type jobs that left the country when NAFTA was passed.

And he will nominate justices who will uphold the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:35 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Instead of expressing sorrow for his loss, he wondered if his wife was allowed to speak which is a distorted view of Islam.

A lot of Muslim men feel they have the right to kill female family members who do something that they do not approve of.

The Left likes to cover this up because they sympathize with terrorism.

revelette2 wrote:
He should have said, I appreciate your son's sacrifice and perhaps I'll rethink my ridiculous ban on Muslims. (And no he didn't distinguish between militant Muslims and Muslims, just said Muslims.)

Actually Trump's position is only that we need a temporary halt to Muslim immigration until much stricter vetting procedures are in place.

Mr. Trump certainly should not act as if the accusations from this loudmouth Muslim guy have any factual validity.
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:39 am
@revelette2,

From the article you linked (emphasis added by me):

"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on."
snood

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:44 am
@oralloy,
Tell me, sir... How would one go about banning, even temporarily, an entire religion from entering a country?
revelette2

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 07:55 am
@oralloy,
What is your point? I knew that before you pointed it out, I read the article. The statement you bolded is what his campaign spokesperson said to clean up Trump's original statement. Not that it ends up doing that.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 10:58 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I've not heard any playground insults from Mr. Trump Khan. He noted the wife's silence Trump's evident unfamiliarity with the US constitution, and speculated that it was because of Islamic patriarchy Trump has failed to read and/or understand the constitution.

Shoe, meet other foot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 11:06 am
@joefromchicago,
I think many Trump supporters will be confused by your post, so I'll try to simplify it.

Trump is ignorant of the US Constitution. It provides for the freedom of religion; all religions, and that includes Islam.
snood

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 11:14 am
@oralloy,
And if you get a chance sir, could you please comment on HOW you think a ban from the country (even temporary) of an entire religion could be implemented? Would NSA agents demand proof of religion? Would they admit they were Muslim at the check in, on sort of an honors system?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 11:26 am
@snood,
I don't think they are capable of thinking that far ahead. It's an impossible task, and against our Constitution. They just love the idea.
50% of Americans support Trump's ban on Muslims.
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/274521-poll-half-of-american-voters-back-trumps-muslim-ban
Yea, an Islamic terrorist is going to admit he's a terrorist.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 02:56 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
A lot of Muslim men feel they have the right to kill female family members who do something that they do not approve of.

The Left likes to cover this up because they sympathize with terrorism

No, the left hates the honor killings and regressive elements in some Islamic cultures. The difference is that the left is pushing back against tarring them all with a broad brush and idiotic plans like barring anyone from an entire religion from the country.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 03:01 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Unfortunately the betting markets are only offering bets for specific scenarios, and their odds are not nearly long enough to allow for a massive payout.

I just checked a few places and you can get nearly 4-1 if you think a Republican can be the next president. So even if you only think it's 51% likely it has significant positive expected value.

In any case, I don't gamble (I play poker, but that is a sport to me) and don't recommend gambling, but if I held your opinion I'd put a few hundred on it because the market does not at all share this opinion and I would exploit the difference if I truly believed that way.

But I don't want you to lose money, so I'm not gonna goad you into betting.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 03:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Like you, I'm really not a Reno/Vegas type of gambler, but enjoyed playing poker with associates when I worked. It was more a social gathering than just gambling, but I remember one guy who used to lose up to $200 every time we played.
0 Replies