snood

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 09:33 pm
Over and over, Donald Trump does things that sane people could reasonably expect to sink a candidacy. Over and over, the news cycle simply burps out a story or two and rolls over, waiting for the next bit of entertainment. On this forum I've seen C.I. and others wonder, in writing - How in the hell can a loathsome creature like Donald Trump be knocking at the door of the Oval Office? I'm struggling with it - every time I meet a person that says they are for Trump, I find I'm so disturbed I can't even find words to speak to them. Maybe this,
from a piece by Michelle Goldberg
, can help explain how we got here...

(bold and italics mine)
One of the unofficial slogans of this election, at least among the green room flotsam and millennial ironists on Twitter, is “nothing matters.”

It’s an expression of weary incredulity at each new Trumpian outrage that should be the end of him but isn’t. This election isn’t a contest of ideology. It’s certainly not about experience or competence. It’s being fought at the level of deep, unconscious, Freudian drives.

Trump promises law and order, but he is the Thanatos candidate, appealing to the people so disgusted by the American status quo that they’re willing to blow it up. Clinton is the candidate of dull, workmanlike order and continuity. She once described herself as a “mind conservative and a heart liberal,” but her convention has almost been the opposite, with the most liberal platform in decades married to a show of sunny, orderly patriotism.

“America is already great!” is as anti-radical slogan as can be imagined. The question in this election is whether the forces of stability are a match for those of cynical nihilism. This convention has been, for the most part, impeccably choreographed. Will it matter? Will anything?

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:23 pm
@snood,
That explanation makes sense, re Trump. Re the populace that are all for him, I simply can't comprehend it.
Builder

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:53 pm
Nothing matters because the whole show is farcical.

Even the uninterested are seeing through the veil.

It's theatre. Pure and simple.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:07 pm
Alex Pullen
13 hrs ·
Quote:

So I guess we don't care about the 28 Saudi Pages becoming declassified proving the war on terrorism is a farce. We don't care about blatant presidential election rigging. We don't care that the Banksters admitted to ripping off the nation and only had to pay back a fraction of their loot, with no jail time. But we DO care about how we will afford to give everyone a higher education while simultaneously not caring about the fact the US spends more (600 billion a year?) on military "defense" than the next 7 leading nations COMBINED. Over 1000 bases stationed in more than 130 countries is not fighting for our freedom. We can carelessly waste 1.5 TRILLION dollars on a fighter jet that doesn't work. The Fed can admit to losing 9 trillion dollars. On September 10, 2001 the Pentagon admitted to losing track of 2.3 trillion dollars. Yes all those with a T for TRILLION. I could go on and on but ya know what I've been thinking? Lets blame Russia.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:52 am
The absolute worst is the America they want back so badly, never was.
Foofie

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 01:51 pm
@snood,
When they both debate in the autumn, it might be obvious who knows how to be a President. Then many may be sure who they are voting for. The winner will make more sense. Was it just a bethrothal that was meant to be?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
According to Recent Polling Data, it's dead even between Clinton and Trump.
My only dumbfounded question is, how can that be? The narcissist who only did things for himself vs the person who devoted her life to everybody else is a match?
God save this country.
snood

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's deeply troubling. I can only suggest that we all use whatever influence we have in our social circles to remind people of the crisis Trump represents, and to get to that voting booth.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
Its a little too early in the general election to trust the polls too much. I think Hilary will get a lot of come to Jebus conversion votes once voters hit the booth.

I hope somehow we can get the voters out to vote the Congressional election.
Miller

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:34 am
Read today's WSJ about how very poor the recovery of the American economy has been and that may then help you understand why 69% of America is so unhappy.

As far a Trump vs Clinton, the winner of the election will be primarily determined by those voters, who don't vote.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:22 pm
Ezra Klein: Trump’s slander of Captain Khan’s family is horrifying, even for Trump

Quote:
Trump’s actual response, though, wasn’t fine.

"If you look at his wife, she was standing there," he said, on national television. "She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. You tell me."

This wasn’t a slip of the tongue. In an interview with Maureen Dowd, Trump took the same tack. "I’d like to hear his wife say something," he said.

Let’s be very clear about what Trump is doing here: as ABC wrote, he’s suggesting "Khan’s wife didn’t speak because she was forbidden to as a Muslim." This is b******t. It is flatly, verifiably, false. But that’s almost beside the point.

Trump listened to a speech by the bereaved father of a fallen Muslim soldier and used it to slander the fallen soldier’s family. That was his response.

That is his character.

At this point, I honestly don’t know what to say. I don’t have new language for this, I haven’t found another way of saying this isn’t okay, this isn’t kind, this isn’t decent. Instead, I’ll note James Fallows’s response. He quotes Joseph Welch, speaking to Senator Joseph McCarthy in 1954.

"Until this moment," he said, "I think I never really gauged your cruelty."

If you would like to see Ghazala Khan speak, you can do so in this interview she gave to MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell. As Fallows writes, she breaks down sobbing while speaking of her son. It suggests she let her husband give the DNC speech for a simple reason: she remains overwhelmed by grief.

This is the woman Trump decided to slander. This is the gauge of his cruelty.

This isn't partisan. This isn't left vs. right. Mitt Romney never would have said this. John McCain never would have said this. George W. Bush never would have said this. John Kerry never would have said this.

Trump also wanted the Khans to know that, like them, he had sacrificed for this country.

"I've made a lot of sacrifices," Trump said. "I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot."

I honestly do not understand how a human being can respond to a family that lost their son for this country by saying that he has sacrificed too, he’s worked really hard, he’s built "great structures."

This is not a question that needs to be asked in most elections, but it needs to be asked in this one: what kind of person is Donald Trump?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 04:20 pm
@revelette2,
If Americans still have to ask who Donald Trump is, our country is in big trouble.
He's a narcissistic, racial bigot. What more needs to be known?
roger

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, you might add that he thinks Russia is our friend and NATO and Mexico are not.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:25 pm
@roger,
Yes, indeed! Those are very important issues.
After all, Trump himself said he has a "relationship" with Putin. His wall and banning of all Muslims proves his bigotry.
snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Yes, indeed! Those are very important issues.
After all, Trump himself said he has a "relationship" with Putin. His wall and banning of all Muslims proves his bigotry.

That's another good example of things with which he's been allowed to get away, by the media. They have him on video saying both "I've spoken directly and indirectly with Putin", AND "I don't know Putin; never met Putin." And they simply don't challenge him on his bold faced lies.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:35 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I hope somehow we can get the voters out to vote the Congressional election.

Which is where real change can be made to happen. I agree.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:39 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
That explanation makes sense, re Trump. Re the populace that are all for him, I simply can't comprehend it.

Just like I can't comprehend your support for this person.

https://www.facebook.com/ithoughtyoushouldknowit/videos/212688522461817/
0 Replies