Democratic National Convention Implodes

giujohn

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:22 pm
Much to the dismay of Democrats the convention will not be "boring" as they had predicted. The Wikileaks emails have caused the resignation the DNC chairman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and showed the devious duplicitous tactics used against Bernie Sanders. And while she had hoped to retain the gavel in/out position after being booed off the stage at the Florida delegates breakfast she has now been pulled from that Duty and will not speak at all at the convention. At an afternoon speech in front of supporters and delegates Bernie Sanders was booed when he asked the crowd to vote for Hillary. Julian Assange has promised more leaks to come from Hillary's email. It seems as though the wheels are coming off the the Democrats effort to gain the White House and what Hillary thought was her rightful place at the seat of power. As Donald Trump gets a big bounce off of his convention it appears as though Hillary is steadily losing points.

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:26 pm
@giujohn,
dream on. What you are witnessing is Democrats making love. It has always been a dysfunctional party. Thats the way that real "Big Tent" organizations operate.
I wont mention anything about the GOP convention lest I invoke Godwins Law.
Below viewing threshold (view)
farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:35 pm
@giujohn,
"Implode"??

looked more like the Big Bang.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 09:37 pm
@giujohn,
The first night went very well from where I sit. It started with drama and ended with unity. It couldn't have been scripted better.
giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:50 am
@maxdancona,
Well after a while it had the appearance of going well but I guess you didn't see what was going on in the background... Security was taking away signs from Bernie supporters under the threat of having their credentials cancelled for the next day frantic text messages were being sent out to Bernie supporters admonishing them warning them not to make a scene groups of them put tape over their mouth with the words silenced. People were left only with signs with a pro Hillary message but they were blacking out certain letters to make it spell what they wanted it to say. Frankly that doesn't sound like America to me it sounds like a communist country like China... And So It Goes
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"Implode"??

looked more like the Big Bang.

If last night was any indication I think the Big Bang won't occur until November when it blows up in their face.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:20 am
4 Winners and 2 Losers from the first night of the Democratic National Convention

Winner: Michelle Obama
Quote:
Hers was a purely positive speech, the kind of soaring, inspirational oratory that made her husband famous 12 years ago. A week after Obama’s national debut speech at the 2008 convention was plagiarized by Trump’s wife, her remarks tonight felt like the ultimate rebuke. She is a more confident, fluent, and powerful speaker than she was in 2008 — and a far more persuasive one, too.

Winner: Bernie Sanders
Quote:
The speech was unmistakably Sanders. There were invocations of the political revolution, of the greed of Wall Street and pharmaceutical companies, the reference to $27 average donations and the need for tuition-free college. There was all the red meat a Bern feeler could’ve asked for.

But that red meat was tethered strongly to a repeated, clear, and unequivocal reiteration of his endorsement of Clinton...

And he didn’t ignore the cognitive dissonance created by him praising a candidate he was fiercely condemning not two months ago. He instead told a plausible story of how he came aboard, one that emphasized the gains he and his movement made in the process

Winner: Sarah Silverman

Quote:
When Silverman was added, organizers presumably didn’t know there’d be a substantial number of pro-Bernie hecklers. They didn’t know she’d effectively be charged with winning over the most hostile and skeptical segment of the audience. And they thus didn’t anticipate that she would respond to the situation the way any comedian facing hecklers would — by fighting back, and telling the crowd, "Can I just say, to the Bernie or bust people, you're being ridiculous."

That was definitely not in the script. The words "Bernie or Bust" were not supposed to be uttered; even mentioning it is giving the idea more attention than national Democrats really want. And directly confronting the Bernie die-hards risks alienating them further and adding to the convention’s drama.

Here’s the thing, though: It looks like it worked. The comment brought on a wave of applause, and Vox reporters on the floor say the response was overwhelmingly positive.

Obviously, some Bernie die-hards won’t be persuaded by Silverman, and might even be put off. But for casual Bernie supporters watching at home, weighing whether to stay home or throw in for Hillary, it might have been the bracing moment they needed to get on board.

Winner: American exceptionalism

Quote:
Traditionally, the left and even many liberals have had a conflicted relationship with American political culture’s insistence that America is wonderful and must be celebrated. Almost by definition, to be liberal, or at least anti-conservative, in this country is to embrace the idea that America or at least its government needs to change.

Then something weird happened: Republicans nominated Donald Trump. And Donald Trump is not a fan of America, or at least America as it currently exists. Even as he argues for a fervently nationalistic foreign policy and appeals to his base with jingoistic rhetoric, Trump’s overarching slogan proclaims that America must be made great again, that it has lost a past glory, that something is, at this juncture, fundamentally wrong with it.

That, combined with the major progress of the Obama administration in making America more like the universal health care–boasting, marriage equality–having, anti-racist country liberals have wanted for decades, has enabled a Democratic convention that is almost unprecedentedly patriotic and celebratory of America.

Loser: Debbie Wasserman Schultz (no quotes needed here)

Loser: TPP
Quote:
The odd statements are Trump; the even ones are Sens. Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Bob Casey (D-PA), and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), respectively. The rhetoric is nearly identical. Both parties are committing themselves to opposing unrestricted free trade and outsourcing and, more specifically, the TPP — even though the incumbent Democratic president is the one who negotiated it.
giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 08:26 am
@engineer,
Well engineer I can't disagree with 99% of your post.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 02:32 pm
Bernie supporters plan to disrupt the convention tonight I wonder what will happen.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:21 pm
OMG That was horrible. People booing Bill Clinton, and interrupting speeches... it is clear that the Democratic party will never be united. Then when the Democratic delegates started throwing chairs and lighting things on fire.... I knew that you are a man of great understanding and insight.

With the Democratic Convention imploding like that... after the Republican convention went so well (thanks to Cruz's ringing endorsement of Donand Trump)... it is clear that Hillary will never be Madame President.
giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 09:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Well let's see about 20 seconds of booing when Ted Cruz said vote your conscience as opposed to what occurred last night and the delegates walking out what is occurring outside with black life matters joining arms with the Bernie supporters throwing some chairs and starting some Fires at least it would have been more exciting than Bill Clinton speech oh my God that was the most boring I've ever seen him. I don't see very much Unity here all I see is a lot of Discord at least the RNC was United in the end.
Real Music

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:11 pm
@engineer,
Former President Bill Clinton really humanized Hillary Clinton tonight on a personal level. He gave a very good heartfelt speech about his wife. It was nice and very moving. As I already stated, Bill really humanized his wife very skillfully tonight. Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton were both winners tonight.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 07:05 am
@giujohn,
Things are going so badly there that I read the delegates actually damaged the roof of the arena. It is apparently made out of a hard transparent substance, and they put a giant crack in it. Worse yet, they sounded proud about it.
engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:28 am
@maxdancona,
Four winners and two losers from Day 2

Winner: Bill Clinton
Quote:
It got off to a slow start, adding in quotidian, seemingly insignificant details — Hillary’s stint sliming fish in Alaska, the square footage of the couple’s first house, watching Police Academy movies with Chelsea — that combined for an effect not of tedium but of familiarity, of humanization. Clinton embraced the traditional first spouse’s duty of making voters see the candidate as a person with emotions and thoughts and quirks, a person they can empathize with and relate to. And because Bill Clinton is one of the best rhetoricians alive today, he absolutely killed it.

Winner: Black Lives Matter
Quote:
It’s not exactly a mystery why the white working class abandoned Democrats to begin with. Political scientist Larry Bartels has found that from 1952 to 2004, support for Democrats declined by nearly 20 percentage points among white voters without college degrees in the South — and barely at all among white voters without college degrees outside the South. The unmistakable lesson is that the group’s abandonment of Democrats has something to do with white Southerners’ anger over civil rights. Winning back those white Southerners meant tacking right on race. It meant critiquing Sister Souljah. Bill Clinton seemed to think it took killing Ricky Ray Rector.

So it was remarkable to see at the nominating convention of Clinton’s wife, on the night when he spoke, that explicit calls for black equality and against the kind of punitive law and order policies that Clinton once championed took center stage. Former Attorney General Eric Holder assured the crowd that Clinton “will end this policy of overincarceration,” and reminded them that she “fought as a senator against sentencing disparities and racial profiling.”

And, most powerfully, the Mothers of the Movement — the mothers of black victims of state violence Michael Brown, Jordan Davis, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Dontre Hamilton, Hadiya Pendelton, and Sandra Bland — were given a prominent platform. “I am here with Hillary Clinton tonight, because she is a leader and a mother who will say our children's names,” Bland’s mother, Geneva Reed-Veal, said. “She knows that when a young black life is cut short, it's not just a loss. It’s a personal loss. It’s a national loss.” Sybrina Fulton, Martin’s mother, added, “In memory of our children, we are imploring you, all of you, to vote this Election Day.”

Winner: Gender equality
Quote:
There have been credible runs by women for major party nominations before, but surprisingly few. Sen. Margaret Chase Smith (R-ME) got more than 200,000 votes in 1964 before losing to Barry Goldwater. Rep. Shirley Chisholm (D-NY) got more than 400,000 in 1972; Rep. Patsy Mink (D-HI) got more than 8,000. Former Transportation Secretary Elizabeth Dole dropped out in 2000 before any vote had been cast. Sen. Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL) dropped out after only one primary in 2004, and even she got more votes than Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) or Carly Fiorina in 2012 and 2016, respectively.

In that context, Clinton's two runs stick out dramatically. This primary cycle, she got more than 16.8 million votes. In 2008 she got 16.6 million votes, excluding ones cast in the renegade Michigan and Florida primaries. She has outperformed every other female contender in history by two orders of magnitude. Even if she loses in November, she will remain, by far, the most successful female politician in the history of the United States.

Winner: Party unity
Quote:
The odds were pretty good that somebody was going to say these words at the DNC:

Madame Chair, I move that the convention suspend the procedural rules. I move that all votes, all votes cast by delegates, be reflected in the official record. And I move that Hillary Clinton be selected as the nominee of the Democratic Party for president of the United States.

But it was hugely meaningful that they were ultimately said not by Clinton campaign chair John Podesta, not by a politician from her home state like Chuck Schumer, not by a longtime Clinton ally like Terry McAuliffe, but by Bernie Sanders.

Loser: Clintonism
Quote:
(Bill) Clinton did more than anyone to reconfigure the politics of trade such that a large and vocal faction of Democrats championed liberalization and bi- and multilateral trade deals as engines of economic growth and necessary supports for poor nations. He pushed through the North American Free Trade Agreement. He was a crucial part of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) round that saw GATT turn into the World Trade Organization. He oversaw China’s entry into the WTO and the massive rise of Chinese exports to the US that followed.

And this convention featured his wife loudly rejecting a large multilateral trade deal crafted by a Democratic president, egged on by Bill’s ’90s-vintage opponents on the issue like Bernie Sanders and the AFL-CIO.

Bill signed a 1996 bill that overhauled the immigration system to make it easier to deport people and harder to legalize people already here. That helped create the undocumented immigration situation as it currently exists and runs totally contrary to this convention’s repeated vocal opposition to large-scale deportation and its emphasis on celebrating and providing platforms to undocumented immigrants like DREAMers.

Bill emphasized fiscal discipline as the cornerstone of his fiscal policy, but the focus of the convention, and the Democratic platform, is not on straightening out the federal books. Rather, it’s on adding new programs like tuition-free college and infrastructure spending, which might be paid for but will not be accompanied by efforts to close the existing deficit.

Bill was sympathetic to financial deregulation and closely allied with Wall Street, appointing former Goldman Sachs chief Robert Rubin as one of his top economic advisers and Treasury secretaries. The second day of the convention in particular celebrated Sanders’s campaign for taking on Wall Street and emphasizing the need to still further regulate it.

Loser: Hillary Clinton’s foreign policy message
Quote:
You would think that the night when Madeleine Albright, Clinton’s predecessor as secretary of state and a longtime friend and confidante, spoke would feature some kind of robust defense of Clinton’s foreign policy record and an affirmative vision going forward. Nope. ...

The strange thing is that Clinton actually does have real accomplishments from her time at State. She was crucial to the US rapprochement with Burma, and she initiated the talks that lead to the nuclear deal with Iran. She oversaw the end of the Qaddafi regime — and while Libya is hardly a successful state now, it’s not mired in a bloody civil war as seemed likely in 2011, and a massacre of Qaddafi opponents in Benghazi was averted. The State Department under Clinton’s leadership negotiated New START, a significant nuclear arms reduction pact with Russia. She was in the room when bin Laden was killed, and supported the raid to kill him.

You can debate any or all of these points, but they’re all perfectly good enough to be included in a speech meant to bolster Clinton’s reputation as a potential commander in chief. And yet they were left out. It was a baffling stumble, one that bodes ill for the rest of the convention’s handling of foreign policy.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:40 am
@engineer,
You seem to think that this thread isn't a joke, Engineer.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:52 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
Bernie supporters plan to disrupt the convention tonight I wonder what will happen.

giujohn

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:32 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi2z4VJ4G8s[/youtube]

Yes apparently the disruption manifested itself in the delegates walking out during the Roll Call.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:00 am
@giujohn,
You have a different definition of "disruption" than I do.

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:09 am
@maxdancona,
hes uffering the after-effects of consuming one pan-galactic gargle blaster. poor bloke. It engages the improbability drive and turns you into a large knitted playtoy. That makes one incredibly depressed
0 Replies