Is it ok for Democrats to persecute a man for his Atheism?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 11:45 am
Why would a member of a Southern Baptist church in Kentucky have the precise answer to my questions about the nature of this A2K thread?

I don't know that this DNC staffer's strategy would have worked and you've indicated you don't either. I don't think even a single member of a SB church in KY could, with certainly and authority, tell us if it would have.

However, and this is my final attempt to convey my point, members posting in this thread have made comments about Southern Baptists/Christians/Southerners based on, presumably, their belief that it would have worked, due to their inherent natures and beliefs.

The questions posed were:

1) Do they know the staffer is a Southern Baptist from Kentucky and can, therefore, with at least some credibility, refer to these folks as his "peeps." And if so how?

2) If he is a SB from KY are they prepared to accept someone who would come up with this strategy as the spokesperson for his fellows, his "peeps"

I appreciate your willingness to engage and I don't want to dismiss your responses, but you're not prepared to answer the questions, because you didn't make the comments.

But let me see if I can rephrase #2 and, since you are the only one gracious enough to provide any response, pose it to you.

It doesn't require your knowledge of the staffer (aside from the strategy he proposed) or Southern Baptists in Kentucky:

For the sake of discussion, let's assume the staffer is a Southern Baptist from Kentucky.

Based solely on the fact that he proposed what, I think you will agree, was a rather vile plan to incite attacks against Sanders for either his Jewish heritage or his atheism, would you trust him to speak for what Southern Baptists in Kentucky generally believe?

This really is a Yes or No question, although you are more than welcome to add whatever commentary you believe supports or explains your answer.

Remember, the original question posed by Lash was "Is it OK for Democrats to persecute a man for his atheism?"

Many threads don't follow the original point being made or the original question asked and that is fine. This one, though, turned rather rapidly into a "discussion" (for lack of a better term) on the bigotry of Southern Baptists/Christians/Southerners. It certainly seems to me that such a "discussion" had to be predicated on a belief that the vile strategy would have worked (if this wasn't the case for anyone I would love to hear from them).

At this point I am probably considered to be mashing the poor dead horse into an equine sauce, but the larger point I am trying to make is that we see examples of bigotry toward these particular groups all of the time in this forum. For some reason, the folks who can be relied upon to decry anything that smacks of bigotry towards certain other groups ( and most often with worthy intent), not only fail to leap to the defense of these groups, quite a few of them engage in it. I think this thread is a good example of my assertion.

I hasten to add, lest this post be misconstrued, I am not including you in the group of posters to which I have just referred. We disagree on many issues, but I don't believe I've ever seen you stereotype or assert unfair generalizations about these groups, or any group for that matter (unless, of course, it's Conservatives or Republicans Wink )

0 Replies