Texans For Truth

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:20 am
I kid you not...

Quote:
A group called Texans for Truth planned to launch an ad this week in which a lieutenant colonel in the Alabama Air National Guard questions Bush's absence from his National Guard service in Montgomery, Ala. The group says it plans to spend about $100,000 to run the ad.

The ad asks "Was George W. Bush AWOL in Alabama?" and implores: "Tell us whom you served with Mr. President."

In the ad, Bob Mintz claims he served at the same air base and in the same unit as Bush in 1972 but never saw Bush there. "It would be impossible to be unseen in a unit of that size," Mintz says in the ad.

Lawsuit Uncovers New Bush Guard Records

Other articles on the subject:

Bush Fell Short on Duty at Guard

Quote:
In February, when the White House made public hundreds of pages of President Bush's military records, White House officials repeatedly insisted that the records prove that Bush fulfilled his military commitment in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.

But Bush fell well short of meeting his military obligation, a Globe reexamination of the records shows: Twice during his Guard service -- first when he joined in May 1968, and again before he transferred out of his unit in mid-1973 to attend Harvard Business School -- Bush signed documents pledging to meet training commitments or face a punitive call-up to active duty.

He didn't meet the commitments, or face the punishment, the records show. The 1973 document has been overlooked in news media accounts. The 1968 document has received scant notice.

On July 30, 1973, shortly before he moved from Houston to Cambridge, Bush signed a document that declared, ''It is my responsibility to locate and be assigned to another Reserve forces unit or mobilization augmentation position. If I fail to do so, I am subject to involuntary order to active duty for up to 24 months. . . " Under Guard regulations, Bush had 60 days to locate a new unit.

But Bush never signed up with a Boston-area unit. In 1999, Bush spokesman Dan Bartlett told the Washington Post that Bush finished his six-year commitment at a Boston area Air Force Reserve unit after he left Houston. Not so, Bartlett now concedes. ''I must have misspoke," Bartlett, who is now the White House communications director, said in a recent interview.

And early in his Guard service, on May 27, 1968, Bush signed a ''statement of understanding" pledging to achieve ''satisfactory participation" that included attendance at 24 days of annual weekend duty -- usually involving two weekend days each month -- and 15 days of annual active duty. ''I understand that I may be ordered to active duty for a period not to exceed 24 months for unsatisfactory participation," the statement reads.

Yet Bush, a fighter-interceptor pilot, performed no service for one six-month period in 1972 and for another period of almost three months in 1973, the records show.

Missing In Action

Quote:
President Bush claims that in the fall of 1972, he fulfilled his Air National Guard duties at a base in Alabama. But Bob Mintz was there - and he is sure Mr. Bush wasn't.

Plenty of other officers have said they also don't recall that Mr. Bush ever showed up for drills at the base. What's different about Mr. Mintz is that he remembers actively looking for Mr. Bush and never finding him.

Mr. Mintz says he had heard that Mr. Bush - described as a young Texas pilot with political influence - had transferred to the base. He heard that Mr. Bush was also a bachelor, so he was looking forward to partying together. He's confident that he'd remember if Mr. Bush had shown up.

"I'm sure I would have seen him," Mr. Mintz said yesterday. "It's a small unit, and you couldn't go in or out without being seen. It was too close a space." There were only 25 to 30 pilots there, and Mr. Bush - a U.N. ambassador's son who had dated Tricia Nixon - would have been particularly memorable.

I've steered clear until now of how Mr. Bush evaded service in Vietnam because I thought other issues were more important. But if Bush supporters attack John Kerry for his conduct after he volunteered for dangerous duty in Vietnam, it's only fair to scrutinize Mr. Bush's behavior.

Disclaimer: I agree with Mr. Kristof's last sentence to a degree, but really, this stuff doesn't matter to me much. This is not why I think Bush should not be president. I put it out there because I think it's an interesting comeback to people who think the SBVfT are doing something valid. How is one OK and the other is not? And I have been appalled at how much traction the SBVfT have seemed to get, how much they have seemed to actually damage Kerry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,477 • Replies: 43
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:33 am
I agree with your and Mr. Kristof's statements. I don't actually care about either one's actions when they were young men except for as a background for what kind of person they became. But it is kind of fun to see those who were gloating about the SBVT play defense for a while. Still, I won't gloat about this, and it isn't why I won't vote for Bush either.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
A few months ago, Gary Trudeau, a Republican who is also the creator of "Doonesbury", offered a $10,000 price to the first man who could prove he served in the National Guard with George Bush.

Gary Trudeau wrote:
Are you as weary of gutter politics as we are here at the Town Hall? Then whatever you do, don't click here. Instead, help us flush out an authoritative witness to President Bush's tour of duty defending the skies over Alabama -- and put this tired, recycled AWOL story to rest once and for all.

For the past twelve years, George W. Bush has had to endure charges that he didn't take the final two years of his Guard service as seriously as duty required. (For updated timeline, click here.) And the two witnesses who have come forward in support so far haven't exactly cleared things up. We at the Town Hall believe that with everything he has on his plate, Mr. Bush shouldn't have to contend with attacks on the National Guard, which is serving so bravely in Iraq. And we're willing to back up our support with cold, hard cash

His teeth were there. Was he?

So far, there haven't been any takers.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 09:57 am
Quote:
"Out of an abundance of caution," the government "searched a file that had been preserved in spite of this policy"

The english language is a marvelous creature.
0 Replies

bruhahah

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:24 am
Thomas wrote:
A few months ago, Gary Trudeau, a Republican. . . .

You have got to be kidding me!! Trudeau has been anti- Republican as long as he's been able to hold a pen!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:52 am
bruhahah wrote:
Thomas wrote:
A few months ago, Gary Trudeau, a Republican. . . .

You have got to be kidding me!! Trudeau has been anti- Republican as long as he's been able to hold a pen!

Yep...he "is" and "has been!" (I'm sure Thomas knew that...as did everyone else reading Trudeau's"offer.")

All the more reason for conservatives and Republicans to take him up on it...and take his money.

But there still have been no takers!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:53 am
Frank!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:53 am
Frank!!!!! Welcome back. What's your handicap this summer? I am talking golf.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
Holy crap! Frank's back!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:01 pm
Frank Apisa yelps:

Quote:
Yep...he "is" and "has been!" (I'm sure Thomas knew that...as did everyone else reading Trudeau's"offer.")

How is it that a Yale graduated cartoonist who has made a CAREER lambasting Republicans and conservatives be a Republican? Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:05 pm
I think Frank was agreeing that Trudeau has been anti-Republican...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:07 pm
But of course.

My oops. I'm still getting used to the subtley of sarcasm here on able2know.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:09 pm
Hi everyone.

Golf score is good...and the summer months are ended.

I'm back...and looking to kick some ass!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:10 pm
Just strap a pillow to your foot, OK?

Dookiestix, meet Frank. Frank, meet Dookiestix. I suspect the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm
Frank, it's a pleasure to meet ya! I'm fresh from the demise of Abuzz.com. Looking forward to the more civil debates here on able2know.com.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:25 pm
Welcome back Frank. Missed ya.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:30 pm
Good to meet you too, Dookie.

Great avatar!

Hey, McG...I missed you too. I'm sure we'll make up for the relative calm during the next 8 weeks. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:32 pm
Hi Frank, welcome back - and I hope, you home again soon :wink:
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:00 pm
Nice to see ya, Frank! Cool

About Trudeau: As I recall an interview he gave in the late eighties, he used to self-identify as a Republican in the late seventies, albeit one who never followed the party line very closely. I think he said so in the context of explaining why he wouldn't take sides between Bush and Dukakis in 88. In later decades, he didn't repeat this self-identification, but didn't recant either.

As it happens, this is a position I can identify with: the Republicans have gotten a lot of things right throughout their history, and it's decent and courageous when Republicans protest against the Nixons and Bushes who corrupt their party and betray its legacy. (Slight tangent: In his speech at the convention, Arnold Schwarzenegger suggested several tests to find out whether one is a Republican. According to Schwarzenegger's definitions, George Bush isn't a Republican. But I guess that's a subject for a thread of its own.)

Anyway, I tried to back up the above story with a Google search and failed. It turns out that Mike Doonesbury himself was a Republican from 1980 to 1994, but I didn't see any evidence that his creator was. In other words, the people who thought I was being cheeky have overestimated me. I may well have succumbed to wishful thinking and made an honest mistake here.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 01:04 pm
Maybe he said he was a republican just to piss them off.
0 Replies