higher without noun ok?

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 04:07 pm
Is the sentence below clear? I'm wondering whether I have to repeat the word "doses" after higher. Thanks very much.

In conclusion, the orbital fibroblasts of a Graves' ophthalmopathy patient had RARα gene expression, which was not affected by higher but decreased with lower doses of glucocorticoids.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,513 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
contrex

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 05:15 pm
Quote:
I'm wondering whether I have to repeat the word "doses" after higher.

No you don't. Good as it is.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 12:30 am
@Doubtful,
I would say yes, you do need 'doses' after higher.....not because as it stands it is without meaning, but it suggests there may be a typo involving a missing word/phrase other than 'doses' ( e.g. 'blood pressure').
The fact that you asked the question implies you suspect this might be the case.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 01:01 am
That potential ambiguity can be resolved with punctuation.

the orbital fibroblasts of a Graves' ophthalmopathy patient had RARα gene expression, which was not affected by higher, but decreased with lower, doses of glucocorticoids.

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 07:20 am
@contrex,
Why even mention the "higher dose"?

the orbital fibroblasts of a Graves' ophthalmopathy patient had RARα gene expression, which was decreased with lower doses of glucocorticoids.
contrex

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 07:39 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Why even mention the "higher dose"?

The sentence conveys information about the results of higher doses (no effect on RARα gene expression), and lower (decrease of RARα gene expression). We are asked to advise about repetition of the word 'doses', not to alter the meaning.

0 Replies

Doubtful

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 07:44 am
@PUNKEY,
I try not to change the text too much (I'm a translator) so I don't have to waste time explaining the changes I made.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 04:26 am
@Doubtful,
No need to add doses after higher.
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:42 pm
@Doubtful,
You can put doses after 'higher' and leave it off lower if you have to leave it off one or the other.
0 Replies