Slain Dallas Cop Might’ve Been A White Supremacist: Still A Hero?

RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:09 am
@tony5732,
Go back and read my post dumb ass. I posted what the two white conservative U S military men did and gave you the number of people they killed and wounded.
giujohn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 04:18 am
@tony5732,
when I see more members of the black community coming out and denouncing black lives matter then I might agree with you. I find it no more different then when members of the Muslim Community do not come out and denounce Isis. as far as I'm concerned with both groups their silence is tacit proof of their approval. as a Sicilian I and other Italians had no problem
denouncing other Sicilians and Italians who were members of organized crime
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:06 am
@giujohn,
BULLSHIT.

Omertà
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Omertà /oʊˈmɛərtə/ (Italian pronunciation: [omerˈta])[1] is a code of honor that places importance on silence, non-cooperation with authorities, and non-interference in the illegal actions of others. It originated and remains common in Southern Italy, where banditry and the Mafia-type criminal organizations (like the Camorra, Cosa Nostra, 'Ndrangheta and Sacra Corona Unita) are strong. It is also deeply rooted in rural Crete (Greece),[2] and Corsica.

It also exists, to a lesser extent, in certain Italian-American neighborhoods where the Italian-American Mafia has influence—and Italian ethnic enclaves in countries such as Germany, Canada, and Australia, where Italian organized crime exists. Retaliation against informers is common in criminal circles, where informers are known as "rats" or "snitches".

Omertà implies "...the categorical prohibition of cooperation with state authorities or reliance on its services, even when one has been victim of a crime."[3] A person should absolutely avoid interfering in the business of others and should not inform the authorities of a crime under any circumstances (though if justified he may personally avenge a physical attack on himself or on his family by vendetta, literally a taking of revenge, a feud). Even if somebody is convicted of a crime he has not committed, he is supposed to serve the sentence without giving the police any information about the real criminal, even if that criminal has nothing to do with the Mafia. Within Mafia culture, breaking omertà is punishable by death.[3]

Sicilians adopted the code long before the emergence of Cosa Nostra, and it may have been heavily influenced by centuries of state oppression and foreign colonization. It has been observed at least as far back as the 16th century as a way of opposing Spanish rule.[4]
Origin

The OED traces the word to the Spanish word hombredad, meaning manliness, modified after the Sicilian word omu for man. According to a different theory, the word comes from Latin humilitas (humility), which became umirtà and then finally omertà in some southern Italian dialects.[5]

Omertà is a code of silence, according to one of the first Mafia researchers Antonio Cutrera, a former officer of public security, that seals lips of men even in their own defense and even when the accused is innocent of charged crimes. Cutrera quoted a native saying first uttered (so goes the legend) by a wounded man to his assailant: "If I live, I'll kill you. If I die, I forgive you".[6]

The basic principle of omertà is that it is not "manly" to seek the aid from legally constituted authorities to settle personal grievances. The suspicion of being a cascittuni (an informant) constituted the blackest mark against manhood, according to Cutrera. An individual who has been wronged is obligated to look out for his own interests by avenging that wrong himself, or finding a patron—but not the State—to do the job.[6]

Omertà is an extreme form of loyalty and solidarity in the face of authority. One of its absolute tenets is that it is deeply demeaning and shameful to betray even one's deadliest enemy to the authorities. For this reason, many Mafia-related crimes go unsolved. Observers of the Mafia debate whether omertà should best be understood as an expression of social consensus surrounding the Mafia or whether it is instead a pragmatic response based primarily on fear, as implied by a popular Sicilian proverb Cu è surdu, orbu e taci, campa cent'anni 'mpaci ("He who is deaf, blind, and silent will live a hundred years in peace").

The Italian-American mafioso Joe Valachi famously broke the omertà code when, in 1963, he publicly spoke out about the existence of the Mafia and testified before the United States Congress, becoming the first in the modern history of the American Mafia to break his blood oath.[7][8] In Sicily, the phenomenon of pentito (Italian he who has repented) broke omertà.

Among the most famous Mafia pentiti is Tommaso Buscetta, the first important State witness who helped prosecutor Giovanni Falcone to understand the inner workings of Cosa Nostra and described the Sicilian Mafia Commission or Cupola, the leadership of the Sicilian Mafia. A predecessor, Leonardo Vitale, who gave himself up to the police in 1973, was judged mentally ill, so his testimony led only to the conviction of himself and his uncle.

Other definitions

A more popular and more simplified definition of the code of omertà is: "Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without police protection is both. It is as cowardly to betray an offender to justice, even though his offences be against yourself, as it is not to avenge an injury by violence. It is dastardly and contemptible in a wounded man to betray the name of his assailant, because if he recovers, he must naturally expect to take vengeance himself."[9]
In popular culture
See also: Omerta (disambiguation)

Mario Puzo wrote novels based on the principles of Omertà and the Cosa Nostra. His best known works in that vein are the trilogy The Godfather, The Sicilian, and Omertà. The final book of the series, Omertà, was finished before his death but published posthumously in 2000 from his manuscript.[10]

Some kind of Italian you are.

Mafias as private protection firms
Scholars such as Diego Gambetta[12] and Leopoldo Franchetti have characterized the Sicilian Mafia as a "cartel of private protection firms", whose primary business is protection racketeering: they use their fearsome reputation for violence to deter people from swindling, robbing, or competing with those who pay them for protection. For many businessmen in Sicily, they provide an essential service when they cannot rely on the police and judiciary to enforce their contracts and protect their properties from thieves (this is often because they are engaged in black market deals). Scholars have observed that many other societies around the world have criminal organizations of their own that provide essentially the same protection service through similar methods.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:31 am
Ex-deputy in South Carolina spared charges after throwing student
Source: Reuters

A South Carolina prosecutor has decided against criminally charging a former sheriff's deputy who was caught on video flipping a black high school student out of her chair and throwing her across a classroom, local media reported on Friday.

Columbia, South Carolina-based television station WLTX reported Fifth District Solicitor Dan Johnson has also dismissed charges of disturbing school that had been brought against the student and another girl in the classroom who spoke out against the incident. The deputy, who is white, was fired last year.

An attorney for the deputy and another lawyer who represented the girl could not be reached for comment.

A video of the arrest in October 2015 at Spring Valley High School in Columbia quickly went viral, reigniting concerns that the proliferation of police in U.S. schools can criminalize behavior once handled more quietly by school officials.

-snip-

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-south-carolina-police-idUSKCN1182SQ
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 06:02 am
ACLU, senators: Calling police too much means eviction
DAVE GRAM, Associated Press 6:50 p.m. EDT September 2, 2016
BUR20160406ONE8FOUR3Buy Photo

The case of a Burlington man who says in a lawsuit he was evicted from his home for calling the police too many times is an example of a broader, nationwide problem, according to the American Civil Liberties Union and a group of U.S. senators.

The Burlington Free Press reported Friday on the case of Joe Montagno, who is suing the city of Burlington in federal court on claims that he was labeled a public nuisance and evicted because he called law enforcement too often.

The ACLU of Vermont is suing the city, and attorney Jay Diaz says he documented the pressure the city's code enforcement office put on landlord Joe Handy to evict tenant Montagno.

Diaz described Montagno as a "vulnerable individual" in his early 40s whom the lawsuit said had experienced threats and at least one assault with a metal pipe by a neighbor. A court later ordered the neighbor to have no contact with Montagno and to stay at least 10 feet from him, the lawsuit said.

Court documents describe numerous phone calls to police from Montagno and other tenants at 184 Church St.

Montagno made 42 of them in 2015 — fewer than four per month. He had made four by Feb. 19 of this year, according to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court.

David Greenberg, a lawyer for Handy's company, Sisters and Brothers Investment group, said the Handys are rare in their willingness to rent to low-income tenants who often deal with mental illness, substance abuse and other problems.

"My clients are not social workers, psychiatrists or anything else; nor can we station an armed guard in the building at all times," Greenberg said.

He said he sympathized with the frustrations of the police, adding that the problems likely are unsolvable without a big increase in social services.
184 Church St. in Burlington.Buy Photo

184 Church St. in Burlington. (Photo: FREE PRESS FILE)

Pietro Lynn, a lawyer for the city, said the ACLU's lawsuit was without merit and predicted it would be dismissed. He disputed the suit's claim that Montagno's First Amendment rights to complain to the police were being violated.

An Aug. 17 letter from 29 U.S. senators to Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro said cases of crime victims being evicted occur with increasing frequency across the country. It said many of those who end up evicted are women who are victims of domestic violence.

Nine of 10 homeless women have experienced severe physical or sexual abuse, said the letter from the senators, including Bernie Sanders, Burlington's former mayor.

This story was first posted online on Sept. 2, 2016. Contributing: Free Press staff.
5 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 1 COMMENTEMAIL
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 06:41 am
@bobsal u1553115,
are you goofy or what? Your own post proves my point. look at all the Italian names in your post that were responsible for bringing down the mafia. what about all the Italian American police and FBI agents judges prosecutors who are responsible for the mafia's demise? what about all the Italian American organizations that denounced the mafia and even went so far as to denounce TV shows like The Sopranos and movies like The Godfather? tell it to the families of those italian-american police officers judges and prosecutors who were assassinated by the mafia while trying to fight them.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 08:39 am
 https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp-content/uploads/sites/44/2016/09/burton_cropped_arm.png&w=480
This story is not just about your average police officer there's a bigger picture here...GIUJOHN

This photo of an officer comforting a baby went viral. But there’s more to the story.
By Amy B Wang Inspired LifeSeptember 3 at 8:01 AM

Birmingham police officer Michelle Burton comforts a baby after responding to a call Tuesday night. (Courtesy Brian Burton)
By the time Michelle Burton and a dozen other Birmingham, Ala., police officers arrived at an apartment Tuesday night, it was too late to save a 30-year-old man, who died of an apparent drug overdose.

On the couch lay a 35-year-old woman, slack and unresponsive, but with a faint pulse. Paramedics on the scene administered a dose of Narcan, a fast-acting opioid antidote, before rushing her to the hospital.

Then there was the matter of the couple’s shaken children: a 7-year-old girl, a 3-year-old boy, a 2-year-old boy and a 1-month-old girl clad in a tiny purple gingham dress.

They were being comforted by next-door neighbors, the same ones who had dialed 911 earlier after hearing the older girl crying out: Help! We can’t wake mom and dad up.

[The story of the ‘best little baby’ and the state trooper who rescued him]

Protocol dictated that the children would need to be taken to the South Precinct, then to family court and finally to the custody of Child Protective Services at DHR, the Alabama Department of Human Resources.

It was already 9 p.m. Burton, less than two hours away from finishing her usual shift, let her husband know she was going to be home late from work that day.

“It was horrible,” Burton told The Washington Post. “It was a very sad situation.”

But it was not, she said, the first such situation they found themselves in.

An officer-in-training with Burton lent the two boys his flashlight; soon, the toddlers were running around, shining it in people’s faces.

The 7-year-old was quieter, Burton said. The officer asked if she needed anything.

The girl asked if someone could sign her homework, so she could turn it in to her teacher the next day.

“That broke my heart,” said Burton. “She said, ‘I did my work.’ She pulled it out and showed it to us. It was math homework, (like) ‘Which number is greater? Which number is odd or even?’ … I told her, ‘Sweetie, you probably won’t have to go to school tomorrow. … But where you’re going is going to have everything you need.'”

In the apartment, Burton found an unopened can of infant formula and a baby bottle; she grabbed both.

At the precinct, officers bought whatever the other kids wanted to eat from a vending machine. There, Burton removed her vest and other police gear so she could comfortably hold the infant and give her a bottle. It had to have been hours since she had been fed, Burton thought.

“A lot of us are parents,” Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards told The Post. “We just go into parent mode and not necessarily police mode. … Officer Burton, she just really wanted to grab the baby and just cuddle the baby.”

So she did. Soon, the infant was sound asleep on Burton’s shoulder.

At some point, someone in the precinct captured a photo of the tender scene, which Burton later showed her husband.

Edwards said he wasn’t surprised by Burton’s actions. The department has more than 800 sworn officers, and they have to be prepared for dozens of different scenarios, he said.

“It’s a part of our job, it’s a part of what we see, what we do. Our concern is to preserve, to protect,” he said. “We find ourselves in a lot of situations like this.”

[I was my husband’s caregiver as he was dying of cancer. It was the best seven months of my life.]

Maybe it’s because Burton, 33, is a mother of two boys herself, or perhaps it’s just that she’s good at comforting children. She’s often tapped to go to car accidents and other incidents where kids might be left alone.

“They’re like, ‘Let’s call Burton because this is what she does.’ It happens a lot,” Burton said. “But it’s not just me. I actually have pictures of officers, male officers, like making baby bottles. … We do what we have to do when we have to do it.”

The rest of that night was a blur, but Burton said she can’t forget the number of people who came together to make sure the four children were safe. A social worker — who had just welcomed her own newborn grandchild — showed up to the precinct and stayed with them until 3 a.m. the next day, when they finally were placed in the care of Child Protective Services, Burton said.

Burton finally went home at 4 a.m. and promptly fell asleep.

While she was sleeping, Brian Burton, who also is in law enforcement, posted the photo of his wife and the baby on Facebook early the next morning.

“Last night, my wife Michelle Burton told me she would be late getting off work because of call she was on where the parents of 4 small children had both overdosed,” Brian Burton wrote in his post. “She spent the rest of the night taking care of these babies. She got home at 4 this morning. I’ve never seen her more beautiful than in this picture. What an incredible woman.”

Michelle Burton woke up to find hundreds of notifications on her phone. The photo had been shared more than 1,000 times.

She said she’s not surprised by her husband’s post, because he has always been her biggest supporter.

“He’s very proud of who I am and what I do,” Burton said. “What surprised me is just [how much] positive that seems to have come out of it.”

Inspired Life newsletter
Weekly inspiration to improve your life.
AL.com wrote about the viral photo. For the next several days, Burton said she couldn’t go anywhere without getting stopped.

Someone at a gas station recognized her: Are you that officer? the stranger had asked. What happened with the kids?

While at the bank, another woman simply walked up to her and gave her a hug. Birmingham may have the largest population in Alabama, but at its heart, it’s a small town, Burton said.

“I’m overwhelmed about the whole thing,” Burton said. “I don’t want people to think that it’s only me that does this. We all do things like this. … It was one of those nights where everybody worked together and everybody did what they needed to do.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 09:10 am
@giujohn,
That's one.
giujohn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 09:48 am
@bobsal u1553115,
...of THOUSANDS.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 10:33 am
@giujohn,
BULLSHIT.

0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:21 pm
@giujohn,
Well that's the problem. I don't know anything about any Sicilian's speaking out publicly about how bad the mob was. (Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it's not common knowledge who did or didn't). I'm Italian too! I don't think it's an Italian guys responsibility either. Why would a black soldier / priest/ plumber/ average citizen have to explain why 5 cops got dropped at a Black Lives Matter rally even if they had NOTHING to do with it? Why would a black janitor from California have to explain why Ferguson got burned down when Black Lives Matter decided to have another "peaceful protest"? To me, not being involved in something is enough said. If a black man decides to hold himself responsible for his well being and not get caught up in the hateful racist stuff groups like BLM does, than that's enough said. It doesn't need to be some public statement either. At that point that guy is no longer part of some "black community". He is then part of MY community.
tony5732

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:31 pm
@RABEL222,
So what does that have to do with ANYTHING? Terrorists can be white? Sure. Good find.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 12:12 am
@tony5732,
And trained in the U S by the military. You know, U S of A terrorists. If they were still alive they would vote for tRump.
giujohn

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 02:39 am
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

Well that's the problem. I don't know anything about any Sicilian's speaking out publicly about how bad the mob was. (Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it's not common knowledge who did or didn't). I'm Italian too! I don't think it's an Italian guys responsibility either. Why would a black soldier / priest/ plumber/ average citizen have to explain why 5 cops got dropped at a Black Lives Matter rally even if they had NOTHING to do with it? Why would a black janitor from California have to explain why Ferguson got burned down when Black Lives Matter decided to have another "peaceful protest"? To me, not being involved in something is enough said. If a black man decides to hold himself responsible for his well being and not get caught up in the hateful racist stuff groups like BLM does, than that's enough said. It doesn't need to be some public statement either. At that point that guy is no longer part of some "black community". He is then part of MY community.

The reason is simple... would you agree that the majority of the black community in the United States feels as though as a race they are viewed stereotypically and are unhappy with that viewpoint? If so it is incumbent upon that community to change that viewpoint. The first step is to denounced members of their own community that Foster and perpetuate that stereotypical narrative. In this example of the white community viewing the black community most times they're only exposure to the culture is what they see on the news or heard from others who has viewed incidents in the news such as BLM demonstrations calling for the death of police officers but do not see representatives of the black community on the TV denouncing such actions. What they see instead are people like Al Sharpton who unreasonably defends any black person at any cost or members of the black community rioting burning buildings and seeking out white people for arbitrary attack.

Why do you think as a young teenager I marched for black civil rights? It was because I was inspired by Martin Luther King. Where are the Martin Luther King's in the black community today?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 04:21 am
Last suspect in clubbing death of Rev. James Reeb has died. No one ever convicted.

https://twitter.com/JMitchellNews/status/771781251355127808

. . . Namon O'Neal Hoggle of Selma, Alabama, died Tuesday, according to an obituary released by the funeral handling arrangements for the family. He was 81. A service was scheduled for Thursday.

Hoggle was among three men acquitted in 1965 in the beating death of the Rev. James Reeb of Boston. Reeb's killing was investigated as recently as four years ago by federal authorities, but no one was charged after the initial trial.

Reeb was a Unitarian minister who went to Selma in response to a call for help by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights movement. Reeb was white, and he was attacked by a group of white men after eating in a black-owned restaurant on March 9, 1965.

Reeb, 38, died in a hospital two days later, leaving behind a wife and four children. His death, coupled with other civil rights slayings and the Selma-to-Montgomery voting rights march, is often credited with helping build momentum for passage of the Voting Rights Act in 1965.
. . .
Honorary pallbearers at Hoggle's funeral included the current Dallas County sheriff and a judge.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/final_suspect_in_1965_civil_ri.html
0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 04:45 am
@RABEL222,
Lol. EX military. And even IF they were in the military it would be the military/ police force trying to kill those idiots, not pretend that the terrorist actions were somehow justified. They also would NOT be allowed to stay in the military if somehow they lived. They would be dead or in prison, where terrorists belong. See the difference between that concept and BLM's " keep doing what your doing" concept? I hope you don't live in America if you actually think we are terrorists. If you do your kind of a hypocrite for living in a country you think is "terrorist" and you should probably move away from this "terrorist" country ASAP!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 10:22 am
@tony5732,
And you speak from your fundament.
giujohn

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 05:20 pm
@tony5732,
He was ex-military and I knew his sister. He didn't vote and he would have aligned himself with those on this site like bobsal and rabell as he also hated cops.
0 Replies

tony5732

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 05:25 pm
@giujohn,
I think that is actually a very unfair expectation for a black person, and it's unfair to group anybody into a group they want nothing to do with. The idea of a black community does just that, and it's textbook racism because you are judging by skin color instead of action. Now Black Lives Matter, for example, is an entire group of ignorant people. These people CHOOSE to be part of an ignorant violent community of ignorant violent people who victimize themselves and raise hell. I feel ok about saying Black Lives Matter supporters are ignorant people. You empower black lives matter by calling those type of people "The black community" though because your being a racist douchebag and mixing up normal people who happen to be black and ignorant racist psychopaths who happen to be black. Your just calling it all "The black community". Martin Luther King would probably cry from shame if he saw BLM living up to a stereotype he worked that hard to break.
tony5732

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 05:32 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You cut and copy from other people's fundament, year round, for many years. How far into other people's fundament do you go before you find yours bobsal?