Grammar Debate of relation to NODA or "Noun of Direct Address"

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:42 pm
So, a friend and I were playing a game called "Sid Meier's Civilization 5", and we had a debate over the issue of NODA's. The sentence he said was "I will kill you, now." or something of the sorts, and I said something about the comma being irrelevant and not needed. He says how it is needed, and I explain my case of there is a such thing called a noun of direct address not a pronoun of direct address. Please help and tell us who was right in this situation, and thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 527 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by crynoking
dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:12 pm
@crynoking,
Cry, it could be absolutely necessary in the instance you site, meaning, "Im not entirely sure but from your reaction or lack thereof I assume you are supposing the murder to take place at some future date, which you might prevent, for instance, by first killing me

I have no idea about nouns of self-address etc and the like but the comma is perfectly okay virtually anywhere for a short pause

Tes, help
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 02:44 pm
A noun of direct address is usually a proper noun (i.e. a name) or possibly a unique description identifying the person being addressed. It does not have any grammatical relationship with the rest of the sentence, and is set off with commas.

There is no noun of direct address in the sentence "I will kill you now." (which needs no comma). There is in "I will kill you, George, now.".

Shut up, John!
Woman with the red hat with your hand up, what is your question?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 02:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
the comma is perfectly okay virtually anywhere for a short pause

Nonsense.
0 Replies

crynoking

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 07:21 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you, I meant in terms of grammar rules. I disagree with the opinion that commas can be used anywhere in need of a short pause. It would look unprofessional to use commas everywhere, <-- even if you want a short pause. That was a bad point, but I'm sure you can find a better example
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2016 12:12 am
@crynoking,
crynoking wrote:
I disagree with the opinion that commas can be used anywhere in need of a short pause.

The advice is often given to 'use a comma where you would pause in reading aloud', but this would only be correct if everybody would pause in the same places!. It would be more correct to say "When reading correctly punctuated material aloud, pause when you see a comma'.

0 Replies