federal assault weapons ban

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:25 pm
Brandon wrote
Quote:
In my opinion, one of the reasons why the 2nd Amendment was written was so that if the government started to suck too much, the people would be able to overthrow it. Let me be perfectly clear. I believe that this was one of the Framers' intentions

Do you really think that is appropriate thinking or makes any sense with the armament available to the federal government today. You might just as well borrow Sampson's sling shot.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:54 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
swolf wrote:
One other consideration which never crosses liberals' minds on this topic is the following:

swolf, i know an awful lot of conservatives that are for gun regulation and want the assualt ban made permanent.

I know an awful lot of conservatives myself, and all are totally opposed to the continuation of the assault weapon ban.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:56 pm
I know three people who don't know there is a ban on assult weapons. Do I win?
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:02 pm
au1929 wrote:
cjhsa wrote
Quote:

If I want to hunt with an AK-47 or AR-15 Armalite, what do you care? I'm not hunting people, or their rights.

How about a 50 caliper machine gun or maybe a howitzer. When I was In service in the late 40's I drove tank. Does the 2nd amendment allow me to own and use it for hunting?

Good question, and here is what I view as a good answer:

If the US government does not get worked up over AlQuaeda owning it, they should not get worked up over me owning it. AlQuaeda could own all the AKs, FALs, M1s, and machineguns they want, and the US government would not give a rat's ass. A nuclear weapon, a fuel-air weapon, or a shoulder-fired antiaircraft missle in AlQuaeda's hands, on the other hand, would get the immediate attention of the US government and by the same token, you can believe that if I ever see an individual with something like that in the United States, my first reaction will be to inform the FBI. I do not want individuals having those things.

That strikes me as a totally reasonable dividing line.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon wrote
Quote:
In my opinion, one of the reasons why the 2nd Amendment was written was so that if the government started to suck too much, the people would be able to overthrow it. Let me be perfectly clear. I believe that this was one of the Framers' intentions

Do you really think that is appropriate thinking or makes any sense with the armament available to the federal government today. You might just as well borrow Sampson's sling shot.

Without infantry around tanks, tanks often become targets for molotov coctails and mundane, primitive stuff like that which can disable them. It's not magic; a complete rabble in Iraq has managed to kill a thousand of our soldiers over a year and a half with AKs and grenades.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:53 pm
roger wrote:
Well, DontTreadOnMe, you choose to be inconsistant in applying legal principles. Since I don't suppose you are being paid to interpret the constitution, that is your choice to make.

in what way, inconsistant. please tell me, i crave your superior knowledge. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:55 pm
au1929 wrote:
cjhsa wrote
Quote:

If I want to hunt with an AK-47 or AR-15 Armalite, what do you care? I'm not hunting people, or their rights.

How about a 50 caliper machine gun or maybe a howitzer. When I was In service in the late 40's I drove tank. Does the 2nd amendment allow me to own and use it for hunting?

hotdamm, au. now we're talkin'!!
Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:59 pm
Chuck Yeager hunted deer from his plane. He helped feed his squadron that way.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:59 pm
swolf wrote:
a complete rabble in Iraq has managed to kill a thousand of our soldiers over a year and a half with AKs and grenades.

and yet you continue to support bush. interesting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:00 pm
so you gonna get you a plane?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:

isn't yeager an honorary member of peta?

or was it peta, paul and mary?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:04 pm
conservatives believe white Leninists' intend to spark a U.S. revolution by manipulating recent arrivals. Marxists want to send 'millions of Mexicans across the border with the idea of having each kill 10 Americans...

http://www.rickross.com/groups/jbs.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:05 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

haven't you heard, Liberals took over the music industry and now it's Peter, Paul and Fred.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:06 pm
au1929 wrote:

The Taliban in Afganistan and the insurgents in Iraq seem to be doing a pretty fair job of holding their own.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:06 pm
What's the first thing a vegetarian's kid grabs at a potluck?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:07 pm
A handful of hummus dip?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:09 pm
you are what you eat, I know lots of conservative veggies.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:24 pm
dyslexia wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

haven't you heard, Liberals took over the music industry and now it's Peter, Paul and Fred.

wwwhhhhaaattttt?????

but i thought everybody was making mary! that they were jumping for joy!!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:28 pm
fishin' wrote:
The Taliban in Afganistan and the insurgents in Iraq seem to be doing a pretty fair job of holding their own.

dude...
they are blowing themselves up in cars.

just because everyone else jumps off the bridge...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:32 pm
Every vegetarian's kid I ever saw at a potluck grabbed either a chicken leg, a rib, or a piece of pepperoni pizza. Never fails.
0 Replies