federal assault weapons ban

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:08 pm
Brandon
Quote:
Sorry about your experience, but why do you believe that the Founding Fathers put the 2nd Amendment in place for purposes of sports and hunting?

They put it in because of the environment at the time the were living in. Times change, situations change and the reason for owning automatic weapons no longer exists. The militia they were speaking to IMO is today's guard and reserves.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:12 pm
Well, DontTreadOnMe, you choose to be inconsistant in applying legal principles. Since I don't suppose you are being paid to interpret the constitution, that is your choice to make.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:20 pm
roger wrote:
Well, DontTreadOnMe, you choose to be inconsistant in applying legal principles. Since I don't suppose you are being paid to interpret the constitution, that is your choice to make.

well yeah, DTOM, sounds like your turning into a democrat or even worse, a republican!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:23 pm
Teach your children to hunt and fish. Teach them to respect the outdoors and the weapons that allow them to hunt effectively and humanely. The left wants to end all forms of hunting, so we can eat stuff, that food eats...

Realize the scary looking weapons ban for what it is, a gun grab by the left. If I want to hunt with an AK-47 or AR-15 Armalite, what do you care? I'm not hunting people, or their rights.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
cjhsa said:
Quote:
The left wants to end all forms of hunting, so we can eat stuff, that food eats...

wow such a mouthful of irrational garbage, it's hard to believe this comes from a gun toting adult.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:33 pm
Where the heck do you live again Dys? You think you're a liberal and you don't even know the freakin agenda? Go here and check out your brethren:

http://www.peta2.com/
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:39 pm
cjhsa wrote
Quote:

If I want to hunt with an AK-47 or AR-15 Armalite, what do you care? I'm not hunting people, or their rights.

How about a 50 caliper machine gun or maybe a howitzer. When I was In service in the late 40's I drove tank. Does the 2nd amendment allow me to own and use it for hunting?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:42 pm
PETA doesn't determine the "liberal agenda," as you so quaintly put it, cjhsa. I'm a liberal and I just had some chicken curry for lunch. It was awful, but that's beside the point.

It would be as if I said that the NRA determined the conservative agenda. How funny would that be? On second thought...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:43 pm
I am, quite possibly, the most left winging Liberal (US version) on this forum and I am also a gun owner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:43 pm
What has PETA got to do with anything liberal?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
cjhsa referenced a peta sight as proof of what "all liberals think"
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
Indeed. Seeing that, though, helps me understand the idea some espouse that all liberals are traitors. It works like this, I guess. Equate some extreme group with liberals, then generalize about the extreme group. You will have summed up the liberals at the same time.

It's stupid, of course, but it makes the person who says it feels like he's figured something out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:04 pm
Yes, I saw cjhsa's post. That's what I was querying.

PETA - I view them as reactionary, so would put them on the conservative side of the spectrum - where all fine reactionaries are found :wink:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon
Quote:
Sorry about your experience, but why do you believe that the Founding Fathers put the 2nd Amendment in place for purposes of sports and hunting?

They put it in because of the environment at the time the were living in. Times change, situations change and the reason for owning automatic weapons no longer exists. The militia they were speaking to IMO is today's guard and reserves.

In my opinion, one of the reasons why the 2nd Amendment was written was so that if the government started to suck too much, the people would be able to overthrow it. Let me be perfectly clear. I believe that this was one of the Framers' intentions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
actually the "framers" were quite far-sighted and realized that the Hatfields and McCoys feud was just around the corner and knowing that this was going to be a great story of Americana wanted to insure that would have ample access to firearms. they were a devious bunch, those "framers"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:13 pm
Samuel Adams:

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
-- During Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution Ratification Convention, (1788.)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:14 pm
cjhsa wrote
Quote:
Where the heck do you live again Dys? You think you're a liberal and you don't even know the freakin agenda? Go here and check out your brethren:

I think you are confused. We are not lemmings, as the republicans seem to be who will follow the leader off the cliff. We are allowed to think for ourselves. That must be a strange concept for a republican to understand.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:17 pm
Same as Christian Fundamentalists have to do with conservative. It's a grouping - more handy than accurate.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:22 pm
Fair enough, Roger. Lest we forget, wasn't Jimmy Carter the first born-again Christian to be President?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:22 pm
all conservatives think white girls who refuse the advances of Negroids, are publicly gang-raped so as to serve as examples to other shuddering Aryan females. Children are now taken from their houses, by force, to be brought up in a "Multi-Cultural" home of Negroids, Arabs, Muslims and Gooks, all in the name of "brotherhood and love"...
http://www.americannaziparty.com/
0 Replies