federal assault weapons ban

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:45 am
au1929 wrote:
Civil right violation. What civil rights violation.

The violation of our right to join a militia and keep an automatic rifle at home (with AP ammo).

au1929 wrote:
Would you also consider taking someone into custody on suspicion a civil right violation?

I don't think so. I am not a law enforcement officer, and I'm unaware of a statute that is being violated with this.

au1929 wrote:
Did you take the time to read the articles posted.

Yes. Fine shooting with that self-defense case in Oregon.

au1929 wrote:
I would consider taking a life a far greater civil rights violation than confiscating some guns.

Depends on the circumstances.

au1929 wrote:
I would also note that if the charges are proven to be groundless the guns will be returned.

What charges? It was a restraining order.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:47 am
You can no longer buy .50 caliber weapons in California, thanks to Arnie. The fact is, smokepoles (muzzle loaders) use larger caliber projectiles. Stupid is as stupid does.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:05 am
au1929 wrote:
There is no Militia in the US

Which makes for a civil rights violation.

au1929 wrote:
has not been probably since the days of the Alamo,

The militia was eliminated with the Dick Act of 1903.

au1929 wrote:
In fact I have grave doubts whether a militia would be legal in the US at this time.

It would be completely legal. The only way it would be against the law to bring back the militia is if the Constitution were amended to make it illegal.

What is illegal is *not* having the militia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:16 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
the argument, at least for me, is not "the right to bear arms". so everybody running around waving the second amendment yet again is not really where the debate lies. for those who missed my earlier posts, i'll restate this part;

i am not anti-gun. i am not afraid of guns. i do not believe that there should be no gun ownership. i am a gun owner.

the debate is, i believe, is what types of guns should the private citizen be allowed, by law, to own.

In which case, the Second Amendment is quite relevant, as it protect our right to have certain types of weapons.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
does anyone here really believe that the average citizen should have a more powerful weapon than law inforcement ?

No one is preventing law enforcement from having bigger weapons than automatic rifles if they wish.

But if they have weaker weapons, that does not justify violating people's right to have automatic rifles (and AP ammo).

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
does anyone here really believe that the abundence of military level weapons that are used daily by criminals and g-dawgs is of benefit to the country ?

I for one don't believe there is an abundance of military level weapons being used by criminals.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
if you are in posession of whatever model of assualt rifle you want to have, because the 2nd amendment says you can have it, are you confident that you and your assualt weapon can stave off a government gone wrong and it's military and para-military police ?

if you believe that your answer to above is yes;

where do you believe the line should be drawn ?

Yes is *not* the answer for me (I tend to not worry about it). However, I do know where the line should be drawn regarding the Constitution: automatic rifles with AP ammo.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
and one last question that is important to the debate;

what is more important to you;

the safety of my family from criminals and sociopaths armed with more powerful weapons than the police officers that are sworn to protect them ?

hunting deer with an ak-47 because i'm not a good enough shot to use a .30-06 ?

I don't see either as a realistic scenario. But our rights ARE more important than our security.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
The computer circuits that control hand-held music players, cellphones and organizers may soon be in a new location: inside electronically controlled guns..
Researchers at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, in Newark, are building a handgun to fire only when its circuitry and software recognize the grip of an authorized shooter..
Sensors in the handle measure the pressure the hand exerts as it squeezes the trigger. Then algorithms check the shooter's grip with stored, authorized patterns to give the go-ahead..
"We can build a brain inside the gun," said Timothy Chang, a professor of electrical engineering at the institute who devised the hardware for the grip-recognition system. "The technology is becoming so cheap that we can have not just a computer in every home but a computer in every gun.".
The main function of the system is to distinguish a legitimate shooter from, for example, a child who comes upon a handgun in a drawer..
For a decade, researchers at many labs have been working on so-called smart or personalized handguns designed to prevent accidents. These use fingerprint scanners to recognize authorized shooters, or require the shooter to wear a small token on the hand that wirelessly transmits an unlocking code to the weapon..
At the institute, Michael Recce, an associate professor in the department of information systems, decided instead to concentrate on the shooter's characteristic grip. Recce created the software that does the pattern recognition for the gun. Typically, it takes one-tenth of a second to pull a trigger, Recce said. While that is a short period, it is long enough for a computer to match the patterns and process the authorization. .
To bring Recce's recognition software to life, Chang created several generations of circuits using off-the-shelf electronic components. He equipped the grips of real and fake handguns with sensors that could generate a charge proportional to the pressure put on them..
The pressure on the grip and trigger are read during the beginning of the trigger pull. The signals are sent to an analog-to-digital converter so that they can be handled by the digital signal processor. Patterns of different users can be stored, and the gun programmed to allow one or more shooters..
At first the group worked mainly with a simulated shooting range designed for police training. "You can't have guns in a university lab," Recce said..
The computer analysis of hand-pressure patterns showed that one person's grip could be distinguished from another's. "A person grasps a tennis racket or a pen or golf club in an individual, consistent way," Recce said. "That's what we're counting on.".
During the past year, the team has moved from simulators to tests with live ammunition and real semiautomatic handguns fitted with pressure sensors in the grip. For five months, five officers from the institute's campus police force have been trying out the weaponry at a Bayonne, New Jersey, firing range..
"We've been going once a month since June," said Mark Cyr, a sergeant in the campus police. "I use a regular 9-millimeter Beretta weapon that fires like any other weapon; it doesn't feel any different.".
For now, a computer cord tethers the gun to a laptop that houses the circuitry and pattern-recognition software. In the next three months, though, Chang said, the circuits would move from the laptop into the magazine of the gun..
"All the digital signal processing will be built right in," he said..
Michael Tocci, a captain in the Bayonne Police Department, recently saw a demonstration of the technology. One shooter was authorized, Tocci said. When this person pulled the trigger, a green light flashed. "But when other officers picked up the gun to fire, the computer flashed red to register that they weren't authorized," he said..
The system had a 90 percent recognition rate, said Donald Sebastian, senior vice president for research and development at the institute..
"That's better fidelity than we expected with 16 sensors in the grip," Sebastian said. "But we'll be adding more sensors, and that rate will improve.".
Chang said the grip for the wireless system would have 32 pressure sensors. "Now, in the worst case, the system fails in one out of 10 cases," he said. "But we've already seen that with the new sensor array, the recognition is much higher.".
Sebastian said the team was considering adding palm recognition as a backup..
To develop a future weapon, the university is working with a ballistics research and development company, Metal Storm, of Arlington, Virginia. "We'll use our recognition system on their weapons platform," Sebastian said..
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:47 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Attorney General nominee Alberto Gonzales told the Senate on Tuesday that he supports extending the expired federal assault weapons ban.

link
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:59 pm
He's an idiot. If confirmed there are plenty of us who will work to set him straight.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:18 pm
He is only echoing what your idiot in the White House is thinking. I guess wonders never cease he has a valid thought.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:26 pm
I don't support every one of Bush's thoughts. At least he's coachable, unlike Skerry.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Bush's thoughts. ... At least he's coachable...

boy, is that an understatement
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
Coachable Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies