Clone Baby

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 01:40 pm
Absolutely agree that all this story with the allegedly cloned kid strongly resembles a hoax, if not a fraud. I have no doubts that some kid really exists, but there are no proofs that she is cloned and not born in natural ways.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 01:49 pm
NH, It's just to show how difficult it is to clone anything. The Cloneaid folks fail to provide proof of their claims. To experiment with cloning humans is unethical. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 01:27 am
It is also dangerous. If the cripple is being created as a result, who will bear the consequences? Law does not permit discarding of the human creature, in the way the failed animal clone may be discarded.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 09:37 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Not quite, NH. The media just shared the information that the first cloned sheep was put to death, because of many complications - including fast aging. c.i.

It's not just a matter of fast aging. When that sheep was born it was effectively exactly the same age as it's donor. It was found to have "old" DNA. (The term used by my biology professor). I can't explain any deeper as even she didn't understand it fully.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 03:25 pm
No deep explanation is needed. In course of life all the body elements undergo ageing under influence of the environmental factors (the most important is time elapsed from the moment of birth, but radioactive and chemical pollution, diseases and drugs used to treat them, etc. also play certain role), and DNA is not an exception. So, if I clone myself, the resulting baby will have genes of the 40 y.o. man that used to live in ecologically imperfect environments. Spermatozoa are not of their owner's age, since they are being permanently generated, and do not live more than several days inside their owner's body, but many of the somatic cells are of the same age as the body as a whole.
0 Replies