relationship after fwb slept with another woman

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 03:59 am
I've been casually dating a guy for 4 months. When I started seeing him, I just got out of a bad relationship and I just wanted to be 'free'. We didn't plan this, it just happened. But I do know that he was interested in me for a couple of months before all this happened. And I also felt something for him when I still was in the other relationship.

So one night we ended up in bed together - drunk - but we kept on meeting each other. We saw each other only once a week...I kept a distance because I was afraid that I would get too attached to him. But it didn't work... He always asked me to stay over, have dinner with him, we talked a lot about very personal stuff and I fell for him. I didn't wanted to tell him yet, because I wanted to get to know him better and 'be sure'.

But then it happened: he told me he slept with another woman and regrets it. He told me he respected me and wanted to be honest about it. I can't be mad at him because we weren't dating exclusively. But I'm really hurt. I told him that and that I needed some space and time to think. I told him that I really like him but I'm hurt and disappointed.

Then after a few days, when I told him I wanted out he suddenly told me he wants a relationship with me. Only me. He got really emotional. I don't know what to do...I do like him, but it's hard for me to believe he 'really' likes me if he slept with another woman, just like that.

I'm thinking to take some time alone and if he really wants me he will prove it to me?

Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 504 • Replies: 2
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 06:03 am
@Josephini,
Playing games is not a good idea. If you make him "prove it to you", you are setting up an unhealthy situation that will make it very difficult to have a good relationship. That would not be fair to him, or good for you.

The fact that he apologized to you means that he cares about the relationship and cares about your feelings. Yes, he messed up. Yes, he understands it. Yes, he wants to fix it and more importantly he wants something real with you.

I don't exactly know what "casually dating" means. Generally when I am dating I talk with my partner about when we are exclusively dating. This is something that you should talk about exclusively. There are people with FWB arrangements who openly sleep with other people. When couples talk about the relationship it solves a lot of problems.

From what you have written... it sounds like there is a possibility for a real meaningful relationship. He obviously cares about you. You have a choice.

If you want a more meaningful relationship. You should accept his apology. Forgive him. It is ok for you to say "this really hurt me", one time... but after that, if the relationship is going to be a good relationship, you should forget it and move on with the relationship as if this never happened.

Of course after that, you should talk about how committed the relationship is. If the relationship is an exclusive, committed relationship... then both of you should say this (with words). No more "FWB" talk... FWB's often sleep around. Committed relationships don't sleep around.

If you can have with a deep meaningful relationship that will make you happy, then it is well worth doing this.

If you don't want this relationship or don't feel you can forgive him, then walk away. There is no shame in leaving a relationship that you no longer want. And it is far better than being in a relationship with someone you are upset with or can't trust.

Either forgive, or walk away. Either work for this new level of commitment you find yourself in, or leave it alone.

Don't play games. Making someone "prove it to you" never ends well.

Josephini

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2016 06:16 am
@maxdancona,
Wow. Thank you so much for your reply.
I do want a meaningful relationship and I do not even feel I have to 'forgive' him. I can't blame him really. It just hurts a lot and I guess I need a little time to forget this. I really need to talk honestly about this to him. My friends were saying I should take some distance for a while but I'm afraid of losing him. I know he's a good guy. I just hope he feels the same about me and isn't confusing lust with love. You are right. No 'more' playing games.

Thank you Maxdancona
0 Replies