Bush's camp may cut 1 debate

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:04 pm
Bush's camp may cut 1 debate
Billy House
Republic Washington Bureau
Sept. 3, 2004 12:00 AM

NEW YORK - Could Tempe find itself the odd location out for the upcoming presidential debates?

President Bush's campaign won't say for sure whether he will agree to the three debates proposed by the independent Commission on Presidential Debates, or if a Republican strategist was right this week when he said the Bush campaign would agree to only two debates.

The commission, without a formal agreement by the Bush camp, set debates for Sept. 30 in Coral Gables, Fla.; Oct. 8 in St. Louis; and Oct. 13 in Tempe. A vice presidential debate between incumbent Dick Cheney and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's running mate, North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, was set for Oct. 5 in Cleveland.

GOP strategist Scott Reed was quoted by the Reuter news agency this week as saying the Bush camp's position is that "two debates are sufficient and will not dominate the entire fall schedule."

"Three debates would have a tendency to be a little overbearing on your campaign strategy and tactics," Reed was quoted as saying.

On Thursday, after Bush campaign manager Ken Mehlman visited a breakfast of the Arizona delegation to the Republican National Convention here, he refused to elaborate when asked whether that was the Bush campaign's position.

"Debates are always very important," Mehlman said.

But will Bush agree to all three of the commission dates, including the one in Arizona?

"We'll see," he said.

In later calls to The Arizona Republic, Bush campaign aides asking not to be identified insisted that Reed was not speaking officially for the campaign and that no decision had been made on the debates.

Even so, Democrats who back Kerry and have sought more one-on-ones with the president howled at the news.

"John Kerry is willing to go to a debate every week," Kerry campaign spokeswoman Laura Capps said.

Arizona Democratic Party Chairman Jim Pederson said the Tempe debate is the only one scheduled in a Western state, adding that "the American people really need to see these men together."

Former Wyoming GOP Sen. Alan Simpson, who was on the commission when it proposed the three debates but who now is helping the Bush-Cheney campaign, said the idea that the Bush camp may want only two debates is "very disturbing."

State GOP Chairman Bob Fannin said the president has to do what he believes is best for his campaign, "but we're really hoping there'll be a debate in Tempe."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,489 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:58 am
Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:23 am
I sure that the GOP would be extremely happy if they could cancel all the debates. Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself would you want to see Bush debate? With anyone, even the gardener. I would not.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:24 am
I would like to see 3 debates.

One on natioanal security.

One on the economy.

One on what the candidates see as the proper federal governement role in healthcare.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:27 am
Frankly, there ought to be a debate every single day from now until the election and it should be mandatory to air it on primetime television, IMO.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:32 am
blacksmithn
Well at least once a week. I feel like going to his house, ringing the bell and asking if Georgie can come out and play.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:34 am
Larry434

You are either delusional or a glutton for punishment.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:47 am
au1929 wrote:
Larry434

Why do you imagine that, au? Are those not the issues facing the voters?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
They are! Would love to see those three debates, myself!!
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
sozobe wrote:
They are! Would love to see those three debates, myself!!

Don't know why au has a problem with the candidates debating those issues unless he fears having to see Kerry's lack of credibility on them exposed by Bush.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:03 am
Quote:
au1929 wrote:
Quote:

Larry wrote
Why do you imagine that, au? Are those not the issues facing the voters?

I was reflecting upon you as a Bush supporter would want him to debate anything with anyone.
I would also question why restrict it to particular subjects?IMO Everything should be open to discussion
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:05 am
That's a good point, au. At least those subjects, but not only those subjects.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:10 am
I would not personally object to more than 3 debates, au, but think the topics mentioned are worthy of a debate each.

And I certainly have no fear of Bush confronting Kerry in as many debates as are feasible.

The debates should be quite entertaining and perhaps even informative.

IMO, the strident and angry Kerry will fare worse than Sighing Al at the hands of the amiable Bush.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:32 am
Larry434

Bush will have to explain in English or at least Bushlish his last four years without a script prepared for him to read. Maybe they can make it into an open book test like debate and he will be able to use crib notes. I know we should give him a computer and he can look up and read the prepared responses. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:39 am
au1929 wrote:
Larry434

Bush will have to explain in English or at least Bushlish his last four years without a script prepared for him to read. Maybe they can make it into an open book test like debate and he will be able to use crib notes. I know we should give him a computer and he can look up and read the prepared responses. Embarrassed

Rest assured that Bush will have rehearsed his opening statement, the questions he will ask of Kerry, and the responses he will give on the debate topics.

He did that well enough in 2000 to have Gore sighing in frustration.

You would have thought the Dems would have learned after consecutive losses in every national and most statehouse elections in this decade not to underestimate W...his Bushisms not withstanding.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
They are masterful at keeping Cheney's hand up the back of Bush's coat well hidden.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:40 am
edgarblythe wrote:
They are masterful at keeping Cheney's hand up the back of Bush's coat well hidden.

Count on it Edgar.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:51 am
Larry
In 2000 Bush got the sympathy vote. Imagine that big bad Gore asking the poor man all those questions. In addition he could say anything people wanted to hear. He had no national record. This time he has to run and explain his record. It should be a completely different ball of wax. That of course is if the questions were not pre-scripted.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:00 am
au1929 wrote:
Larry
In 2000 Bush got the sympathy vote. Imagine that big bad Gore asking the poor man all those questions. In addition he could say anything people wanted to hear. He had no national record. This time he has to run and explain his record. It should be a completely different ball of wax. That of course is if the questions were not pre-scripted.

No doubt the candidates will know what the topic of the questions will be and their helpers certainly will rehearse them on the anticipated questions.

As I said, the debates should be entertaining and perhaps informative. I will watch them closeley and I am sure they will be discussed here although some of us will certainly wonder, based on the comments made, whether we were watching the same debate. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 09:15 am
larry
No doubt. Get out your rose colored glasses. You will need them. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies