"Incompatible" Blood Types and Life Expectancies

Seizan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 02:55 am
Every now and then, I read or hear about a couple who are warned by their family doctor they have "incompatible blood types" and likely may not have children, or children who survive birth.

I have no records, but I was told that my parents were informed of such (WW2 era). They promptly went on to disobey the natural law outlined by a medical professional, and had 6 healthy children (of whom I am #3). Of course, every time my mother went into labor, the attending doctors went into a panic.

We all have A- blood type, which I understand isn't really "rare" but is not quite so common.

My grandparents (both sides of the family), parents, and all uncles and aunts (again both sides of the family) passed away at or before age 60 (various causes, mostly diseases and poor lifestyle damaging internal organs). My 2 older bothers were both gone (within 2 weeks of each other) at age 60 and 59.

I am 63 and healthy, the oldest in my family line for three generations. Non-smoker, non-drinker, vegetarian, and gluten-free. Exercise 3 to 5 times weekly, 1.5 to 2 hours per evening (karate instructor). No accidents in my life, no broken bones, handle stress well, and all the other good stuff. Personal stats from three major insurance companies indicate I will live to be an intolerable old fool at age 93 to 97 years (apologies in advance for the next 30 or so years of drivel)...

Of course, my (slightly) younger siblings are watching me very carefully. But they haven't embraced any of my lifestyle habits, either...

Has this anything to do with blood types? What are the stats on deaths of people with A- blood type?

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 03:01 am
@Seizan,
I've never heard of "incompatible blood types" being a problem, nor any particular type being any sort of problem, and sometimes I think I've heard every thing.
1TTH

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 03:22 am
@roger,
Roger what about the RH factor? Could that be possibly was is meant?
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 03:33 am
@1TTH,
Maybe, but I think she would have mentioned that if it were a factor.
1TTH

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 03:35 am
@roger,
I wasn't sure if that is what she was talking about is all. How are you?
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 04:13 am
Hi everyone

Thanks for your input to date.

RH factor might be a consideration. Sadly I have no records of such detail. I am unsure of my own RH but I could find that if I dug out ol medical records, but still unsure of my parents' RH factor, or how it might be "incompatible".

I do recall my younger sisters' births, and how the docs were so grave and cautious on the Big Day -- even though four boys were safely delivered in past years.

I am not she. I am he... Seizan is a male Chinese-Okinawan name.

Wink
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 12:31 pm
@Seizan,
I apologize for the baseless assumption on gender.
Seizan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 05:40 pm
@roger,
No offence taken. The name is uncommon in this age. Pronunciation is "say-zahn", no accented syllable.
0 Replies