• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,130 • Replies: 48
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:03 pm
Quote:
Service Unavailable
The requested service is temporarily unavailable. It is either overloaded or in maintenance. Please try later.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:04 pm
dust in the wind
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
I raise my eyes
Only for a moment and my cash is gone . . .

. . . drunk in the Inn
All we are is drunk in the Inn . . .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
Had to try it myself to know for sure that it's really gone. Sorta like Doubting Thomas--didn't he have to touch the wounds to make sure they were real? Or some such...

Anyhow, the message on the site is from "The Abuzz Team". The mind boggles...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:24 pm
I posted this on another thread but I'm still really angry about this weaselly, mush mouth bit of self absolution.

"The service was ended due to limited resources for maintaining a quality, moderated community site".

NYT Digital had not maintained a moderated community in over two years. That is why Abuzz went into the sewer.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:26 pm
Death was noted at exactly, 4:30 pm ( EST ).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:53 pm
Sigh.

It was weird finally to see the little sign...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:59 pm
The Times never defined, what they meant by a "quality community".
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 04:03 pm
abuzz
I joined abuzz a couple of months ago--but never posted anything. I browsed, but it didn't capture my interest. I guess this is one of those things when, in order to be appreciated, one should have "been there" during its heyday.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:04 pm
Debra_Law- Yeah, that site was a "one of a kind" in its heyday!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:16 pm
We shall never know whose was the final post!

Probably some eejit calling some other eejit a ******* **** ***** *********!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:28 pm
I bet the last post was by Bobsal, KAK or Zinger, but with another alias. And when it went blank, they started punching the computer, after trying and retrying to log in. Their whole sense of life was gone.

The place was dead long ago. It just had a long agony.

Several things contributed to it's decadence. Lack of moderators. Lack of technical support. Lack of proper commercialization.
Also, for all their technology, they wouldn't check if an e-mail really existed. This gave way to imposters.

(They say that, before my time, early 2001, it was better and the "non-valuables" degraded debate).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 05:36 pm
Fbaezer, they used to allow the author of a thread to award stars to the best response in the thread, and the coveted "green text"--the initiator of a thread could select the best posts (in his/her opinion) which would be highlighted in green. The original site was a teachers' resource, and the site engine was a sort of beta testing program for the development of corporate remote hosting project development software.

There was a definitely different attitude, and i would have said superior to the later "valuable/not valuable" nonsense--but it had its very serious flaws nonetheless. People would suck up in the hope of being awarded stars or green text. And, people would accuse others (usually in off-site e-mails or ICQ) of sucking up for stars or green text.

I personally lost interest when it sank in that no one responsible for the site would ever care about it as a community. People were cliquish, which is understandable in a population so large--but to a great extent, that was unintentionally created by a management attitude which did not take acount of the human and individualistic nature of the most important component, the membership. I believe that the great strength of this site is that it is conceived as community from the outset, and i feel that up to this point, at the least, "clique-ism" has not reared its ugly head.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:17 pm
It was a noble experiment and it seems directly responsible for a number of newer forums. I cruised it all the time, but kept a low profile, since most every thread I went on got spammed to oblivion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:20 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQAAAMoZlzUD9zX4gxOLG0BFLC8kaDZlpkqlBdPAxTqMTD0BOqjWM3l2JWr1aY6znekYdxNkl5!xF3bc42slRt!du3r7DRfMGIkyxfY*J2*x3JtuAA3dEYU7ZsScsw9A/RIP.gif
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:25 pm
we shall be hearing, and soon, of rumors of mutilations of small animals and livestock mostly in Texas when Zinger finally realizes and accepts that his personal potty log page is disappeared.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm
This was the last Abuzz-mail I got today. It arrived at 4:31 p.m. eastern.

Quote:
Matrix500...u.662903
Added on Fri Sep 3 3:58 PM EDT 2004
Quote:
wayfarer
Added on Fri Sep 3 3:51 PM EDT 2004

I think the moment is coming. There is no "add your response" box
on the big 50.
If so, long long, beloved clickers - it's been good to know you.

It was on wordworker's Goodbye Party thread ...

Quote:
Hey the plant is still open.

Is anyone awake??

Bring dancing shoes, libations, funny stories, unsaid goodbyes, and
join us for one last party on Abuzz!!

It was a really nice last thing to see coming from Abuzz. Three of my very best friends in one email. <schnifffffffffffff>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:41 pm
Waaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:43 pm
LOl! My last one - other than from nut cases - is from jeanbean.

It says, simply:

"What?"
0 Replies