Our 3 years relationship is over because my boyfriend's parents don't accept me.

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:02 pm
My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years and we had all this plans for our future, getting married and such after i finished with nursing school. I am 25 years old and my boyfriend is 27. I am half vietnamese and half korean and my boyfriend is full korean. He recently told his dad about me and his dad doesn't accept me and already judging me because my family isn't wealthy and I am not korean. He has never met me once and will not accept me. At first, it was only a small issue for us but I realize that my boyfriend depends on his dad, he works for his dad so if he was to choose me over his parents, he would lose everything as his dad said he will disown my boyfriend if he continues on this relationship. My boyfriend told me there isn't anything he could do even though he loves me and wants to marry me. I know there will be resentment between us if my boyfriend was to choose me over his parents because then he will have nothing left except me. I called off this relationship because i know it won't move forward and its going to hurt me more, I am extremely devastated and heartbroken as my boyfriend was very good to me and we were good for each other even though we had our ups and downs. My boyfriend has also made it clear that this relationship won't move forward. I don't now what to do, but my guts is telling me that I'm making the right decision for calling off the relationship, but my boyfriend isn't making this easier for us, he's in denial and it tears me apart seeing him cry. I'm lost and confused and can't stand the pain and i'm considering seeing a psychologist to help me get through this. I keep replaying the time i last spent with him in my head and it kills me. Should i continue to fight this battle or is it just a lose lose situation?

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:04 pm
@lizzylann,
It seems the answer for you is obvious.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 22 Jun, 2016 07:29 pm
@lizzylann,
Your ex (because that is what he is) has made it clear that the relationship will not move forward.

I'm sorry.

Time for you to mourn and get that out of your system, and then move on.
0 Replies

anamilton

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 02:50 am
@lizzylann,
No doubt this is the hardest time for you, No one can help you. I think it was your boyfriend's mistake, we all know about the nature of our parents so he should have to clear all conditions with you and moreover, if he is an obedient son of his father, his responsibility towards you was the same. I think you must have to take firm decision, don't be emotional, if the relationship is over, then move on and start your happy life again. Nothing is impossible dear, Try yoga, listen your favorite music, spend time with family and friends, try to keep yourself busy. You will be normal very soon.GBU.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 09:40 am
'My boyfriend told me there isn't anything he could do even though he loves me and wants to marry me."

But he DID so something: he chose his father's wishes and outdated cultural restrictions over you.

Aren't you glad you finally found out where exactly you stand now? This guy has no backbone and bows to the wishes of this family. Your life would have been miserable living in the shadow of his parents.

NEXT time, be smarter in your choices. Look at the family dynamics FIRST and find a modern man.

PS I really think you knew if would come to this eventually. This is your way out of this relationship - something you really wanted, anyhow.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 23 Jun, 2016 09:59 am
@lizzylann,
Not that the outcome of the relationship was always good, but I was always the 'romantic' and went for it against all odds if I thought we were truly good for each other.. It was a often a disaster but I don't regret it at all. In the process I learned many valuable lessons.

The thought of approaching life with money, approval of others, social convenience, etc. as my priorities just depresses me. If that's what his priorities are, let him go.

Since your BF has left you no choice in the matter it's achedemic so take this FWIW.
0 Replies

Hanerykroze

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 04:16 am
@lizzylann,
both of you must respect his father's decision. But his father should meet you once to clear all the doubts. . But he is not ready to so so, then you don't have any other option. I think you should move on without each other.
0 Replies