Are we in the Last Days?

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:42 pm
What are the Lat Days? What does the bible say about the Last Days?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 8,396 • Replies: 142

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:48 pm
@BroRando,
Why don't you tell us all about it Bro?
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:03 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Tell you what, TomTom, I'm 72 years old and things are looking kind of grim.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:19 pm
@roger,
I'm 80 years old, and I'm still having a ball! ooooops, not a ball, but still somewhat active. Went to Half Moon Bay yesterday; our son drove us there, and we spent the nice day enjoying the shops and restaurants, and enjoying the early 20th century architecture. I think I saw a sign on one of the buildings, 1903 or 1906. Close enough for my senior years.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
today is the last day of spring in the N hemisphere.

Congrats on the attitude . Remember, youre allowed to drive your age's speed.

I used to live in Half Moon bay for awhile and those damned eucalypts always smelled like cat-piss. We had a cat(about 6 m0nth old male kitten) about 30 years ago that considered the whole house his personal urinal. After two months of trying to train him an following his bladder habits, he became a wonderful barn cat (where, apparently he lived before we got him from the shelter. He lived a wonderful long life amid two hundred sheep and would often be seen snuggled up on the back of a ewe who didnt really mind. While among the sheep, they apparently trqined him to use trees in the pastures as "marking spots" .

Thats what hlf Moon Bay smelled like to me. Is the On-Lock Sam II restaurant still there? We used to go to original On Lock Sams in STOCKTON, but once had our car stolen (tough little toown was Stockton at that time). I hope its better now.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:42 pm
@farmerman,
I think that's what is now called "Sam's Chowder House." It's one of the famous eateries in HMB. We intended to eat there, but the parking lot and street close by were all full of cars, so we went downtown and had some fish and chips.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
was the eucalyptus smell still there?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
I don't even remember smelling eucalyptus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:44 pm
Are we in the Last Days?

You wish. Why don't y'all rapture on up outta here, and leave the sane people alone?

What idiot tagged this "atheists?" We're not responsible for nonsense like this.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Watch that banana peel, okay?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:32 pm
@BroRando,
No. The Universe has neither a beginning nor an end.

Scientific American:

Time’s Passage is Probably an Illusion

The present is probably the most peaceful time in the history of the human species (Steven Pinker: The Better Angels of Our Nature)

Simply put, the good days for humans have got started.

0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:17 pm
@roger,
That's because your 72 years old. The old ALWAYS see the end of days in the present generation. "These damn kids don't have no respect these days!"
I see my kids in the school they're in and how the teachers are with them and I have nothing but high hopes for the future. The kids (not just my own) LOVE school. They love their teachers and they're learning. The atmosphere is one of cooperation and mutual goodwill.
I remember my days at grammar school. It was horrible. The work was boring, the teachers were mean or just disinterested, the other kids were cruel. I dreaded every day.
Things are better now. Everything is better. There is a tolerance and acceptance that was lacking forty years ago. We have the internet. Every bit of knowledge available to everyone instantly. We have better laws, better communication, better transportation. Pollution is fast becoming a thing of the past. Look in the grocery stores. Did you have the variety of choices that we have now when you were a kid? Not even close. People today, no matter how poor, don't spend nearly as much on food as in times past. (As a percentage of income).
I know we have our problems, but put it in perspective. Look up statistics on the murder rate for the past fifty years. How about fatal car accidents. Now look up statistics on deaths from common illnesses and diseases.
Things have actually never been better. We are cleaner, healthier, smarter and less violent than at any time in history. Put that Bible down and embrace the positives of your world.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:38 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Ya missed the point. When I'm gone; so are the rest of you.
BroRando

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 04:57 am
First of all know this, that in the last days ridiculers will come with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires  and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning.”
(2 Peter 3:3-4) The last days are a conclusion of an age.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 08:51 am
@roger,
...because we are all figments of your imagination?
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:54 am
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
That's because your 72 years old. The old ALWAYS see the end of days in the present generation.
I do know all the reasons why people tend to see 'the end of days' in their later years but at the risk of sounding like a end times fanatic, there does seem to be something different about these times even after filtering out all the cliche reasons.

The reason for the current 'weirdness' could be that in these modern times, it is possible for many people to survive and thrive even when they are disconnected from reality. This was not true in much earlier times. The further we get from reality, the more difficult it is to form a rational epistemology for navigating life. This, and the inevitable mental health problems that result are primarily responsible for the bizarre factor in behaviors we are seeing (mass shootings, etc.)

But maybe we are in the last days and whatever 'spiritual pressure' that accompanies them may be an aggravating factor.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:56 am
@Leadfoot,
That's very interesting about people being able to maintain an unrealistic view and still survive. I'll have to consider this a while.
I wonder if it could be a case of self-fulfilling prophecy? People believe it's the End Times and so subconsciously try to bring them about?
The mental health angle is also a very interesting point.
Of course you know I don't buy the Last Days crap. There won't be any Last Days, at least not in the way you mean.
Thank you for the food for thought.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm
@TomTomBinks,
The only end as we know it on this planet is based on the life of our sun which is estimated to last another 5 billion years.
I don't worry about events that will happen that far into the future.
roger

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 02:11 pm
@TomTomBinks,
You got it!
roger

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 02:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank god. For a moment I thought you said 5 million.